Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reedmartin

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
Do you know the saying about the one who LOLs the last? SGS3 will not be iPhone killer. That's not Samsung's goal. Samsung offers variety of phone models to satisfy diverse demands. And they succeed as evidenced by the fact that they sell more smart phones than Apple does. So, while SGSII is not an iPhone killer, Samsung "smart phone" is just that.

Iphone vs any individual Android phone...no contest.

iPhone vs all all Android phones combined the last two quarters...no contest.

IPhone vs. some number that no one can agree on: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/04/27/did-samsung-sell-more-smartphones-than-apple/...Samsung "may" have won.

Not as cut and dry as you think it is, pal.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
The size is actually laughable. Your definitely stretching the definition of phone.

Sweet! I got he Galaxy III, it's so awesome you can't put it in your pocket but thats good, everyone will be forced to see it's awesomeness.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Seems that previous leaked images quite accurate, and although it's packed with much features, the design is unusually ugly for a flagship smartphone. Honestly I like S2 or Note's design much more compared to this bizzare looking S3, pretty much resembles an HTC. What were they thinking. Wanna get another sue?? :p

Well then iPhone still keep the crown for having the best design for me. Seems like I have to wait for another decent Android phone.

reedmartin

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
The size is actually laughable. Your definitely stretching the definition of phone.

Sweet! I got he Galaxy III, it's so awesome you can't put it in your pocket but thats good, everyone will be forced to see it's awesomeness.

To think the galaxy note, made this phone look small! Man, i have never seen one of these oversized phones in the wild, and i know why.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I'm sorry, but I keep reading comments about this feature, as if it was something actually useful. What is the fascination with this gimmick?

My phone has never timed out and gone to sleep while I was reading a single page, it's a phone, how long does it take to read everything displayed on a small screen?

My phone is set to autolock in two minutes, and if I don't touch the phone screen for longer than two minutes, then I'm probably not using it at the time.

thats like saying siri is useless, i could just type it myself

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Apple is not shown in this table because with its measly 676 US patents it was ranked #39. I believe overall Samsung has order of magnitude more patents than Apple.
I can't believe you're still saying this. Oh wait, yes I can. :eek:
Here's a screenshot from another thread in which you said similar things to what you're saying now. I responded to said things.
Iq6RbO

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I can't believe you're still saying this. Oh wait, yes I can. :eek:
Here's a screenshot from another thread in which you said similar things to what you're saying now. I responded to said things.

It's not me who is saying it. It's USPTO. If you want a source for this information, you can find it on many web sites. Here is one example.

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Samsung I blooming hate them bloody copy cats but Apple what the hell are they doing? Rolling out just enough every time, I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 5 , oh sorry 2012 generation iPhone is again only a slight increase.
I have a horrible feeling apple is doomed to failure letting others once agin steal their idea's and mass market them leaving Apple to be the cult overpriced following it has always been made out to be.
What happened to the Pro Mac's and software, gone replaced by consumer hardware and software, Lion is ridiculous ! who the hell uses "Launchpad" where the hell is Logic X? will it get as much stick as Final Cut Pro X where is the next generation Mac Pro? Apple is to busy trying to invent something new than something reliable and professional. Jeez c'mon Apple you have a golden opportunity here and your pissing up against the wall.

CountSessine

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
In general, SGSIII came up to be what most people expected but there is one surprise that no one predicted. SGSIII managed to outperform iPhone 4S in graphic benchmarks. Until now iPhone's GPU had a big advantage compared to all other phones. Here are the charts from anantech.com:

And for those who say that "benchmarks do not matter" and "iPhone UI is very smooth" here is a quote from anandtech: "As Brian put it when he first got time with the device: it's butter."

And with 4 A9 cores running at 1.4GHz vs the iPhone 4's 1 A8 core running at 800MHz and with no out-of-order execution, it only took Samsung & Google 8x the CPU cycles to do with Android what Apple has been doing for years with iOS!

My Galaxy Nexus was constantly overheating and rebooting. I'd pull it out of my pocket and that ugly ICS start-up screen (the one with those twisty things) would be on the screen and the spot on the case where the SOC was would be burning hot. No thanks.

Everyone knows that eventually someone is going to jam a big enough, hot enough, battery-hungry-enough CPU in an Android phone to match the smooth UI of iOS devices of 2 years ago. Maybe this is it. Even my GNex, which was very good, still wasn't nearly as smooth or as apparently fast my 4S is.

That's part of the reason I chuckle when I read these benchmarks. Every one of these android phones feels so noticeably slower than any iPhone I've ever used, and I still haven't owned a smartphone that had anywhere near the battery life that my iPhone 4 had (not even my 4S, unfortunately). My GNex was terrible for battery life, and I had to order away to Korea for an extended life battery to make it halfway acceptable. And 'buttery smooth'? Exactly what they said about the GNex. "So does it still have the touch-screen slop that Android is known for?" Yes, it did. "Does it still halt and shudder when following intents to a new application?" Yes, it does.

Maybe with 8x the CPU cycles to work with, Samsung will finally get it right.

Last edited:

reedmartin

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
And with 4 A9 cores running at 1.4GHz vs the iPhone 4's 1 A8 core running at 800MHz and with no out-of-order execution, it only took Samsung & Google 8x the CPU cycles to do with Android what Apple has been doing for years with iOS!

My Galaxy Nexus was constantly overheating and rebooting. I'd pull it out of my pocket and that ugly ICS start-up screen (the one with those twisty things) would be on the screen and the spot on the case where the SOC was would be burning hot. No thanks.

Everyone knows that eventually someone is going to jam a big enough, hot enough, battery-hungry-enough CPU in an Android phone to match the smooth UI of iOS devices of 2 years ago. Maybe this is it. Even my GNex, which was very good, still wasn't nearly as smooth or as apparently fast my 4S is.

Well that's the Android game...stuff as much as you can and hope for the best. The gnex constantly overheats and reboots, and ics is a buggy mess. I hope with the s3 that Samsung has finally stuffed enough into their phone to make it compete with the iPhone ui.

Hundred dollar says there will be stutter when scrolling through your contacts though, lol.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
to sum it all up ...

some people love it
some people hate it
some people buy it
some people wont buy it

trying to change someone's mind, on a apple forum of all is pointless

at the end of the day, everyone should be happy with whatever they chose ;)

Tell that to my friend, who keeps trying to claim that his Nexus is the best phone despite all of the horrible experiences he's had with it (and all the times he's needed to borrow my iPhone 4). I think the only reason he buys the Droid is so he can be in the minority.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

What's your point? Check the many threads on this very forum about iPhone 4S heating up. That's what these phones do. Unlike iPhone, SGSIII uses CPU manufactured with 32nm process (45nm for iPhone) which reduces power consumption. We'll see how it works. And your GNex is faster at many things than your iPhone 4S (as was SGSII): web browsing and app loading being two important ones.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
All I see is Samsung continuing to copy but I hope that Apple see all this and responds with a big improvement in battery life, larger screen and more power!

reedmartin

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
What's your point? Check the many threads on this very forum about iPhone 4S heating up. That's what these phones do. Unlike iPhone, SGSIII uses CPU manufactured with 32nm process (45nm for iPhone) which reduces power consumption. We'll see how it works. And your GNex is faster at many things than your iPhone 4S (as was SGSII): web browsing and app loading being two important ones.

Lol, benchmarks mean nothing. The galaxy nexus absolutely doesn't perform as well as the iPhone, although as far as Android phones go the nexus is one of the best ones I've seen.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

Wait, I've never heard anything about the 4S heating up, and neither of my parents have ever noticed anything.

There have been complaints about the iPad 3 heating up, but they must be insignificant, judging by Apple's stock price and the media's attention on it. It doesn't have to be a big problem for them to all talk about it for weeks, and they haven't really said anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.