Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Samsung phones always feel clunky and cheap, on top of that the touch screen always feels like it lags big time. I am not against android it all personally. I do like the look of an HTC phone (some of them atleast). But i had a samsung Impression right before the iPhone 4. Samsung pretty much just laughed at me when i complained that every 25th text, my phone would freeze. For that, ive always been anti samsung. But LG, HTC, Motorola, and others running android are ight!! :D:apple:

mlenger

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Southern California
Competition? - how about grand theft !

I can't believe some people welcome this competition. It's flat out theft. I am an innovator myself and have patents. It takes a lot of work, time and money as well as curate to do something new and redefine the old. Samsung/Android just copies, ads some bell and whistles and call it their own. You wanna keep good jobs for our kids here in the US? Then stand on the side on who innovates. Don't support this theft - have them brake the mold for once and redefine the industry. Haven't seen that yet, so there is zero respect from my side. We stop honoring through innovation we end up with no innovation buy relying on those who can't.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
I didn't realize the UI was meant to entertain you, I thought it's priority was functionality. That said, Apple, please copy sbsettings, please!

Yes, sbsettings and a better lockscreen. How hard is that? If they address both holes for iOS in iOS 6, id personally never jailbreak. Thats the only reason my iPhone 4S is jailbroken :D

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
The guy (MG Siegler) is a known idiot. He does not even understand what he is saying. comScore reports stats for all smart phones currently in use (51% vs 31%). Siegler says that in last quarter iPhone outsold Android phones. And? Apple and oranges. One can' extrapolate that iPhone sales will continue at the same pace either because we all know that from now on people will stop buying them and wait until the release of iPhone 5.

So you do know that comScores "stats" are based on weak surveys of around 13,000 people, and not on any actual, you know, sales stats? I don't agree with him all the time, but please point out where Siegler is stating a falsehood? Considering that 2 quarters ago was even bigger than the most recent quarter, I believe that the iPhone has now outsold ALL Android models combined (how many are there now, hundreds?) two quarters in a row at the 3 main carriers in the US. This certainly makes your "the majority of people prefer Android" statement seem pretty comical, and well... idiotic.

Yes, there are more Android phones out there than iPhones, but that's what happens when you have tons of BOGO offers and free bottom end phones given away to people who have no idea about smartphones, but just want a new phone. It will be interesting to see what happens when contracts are up for people on Verizon or Sprint 2 years after the carriers first got the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I watched the presentation video. At 1:01:53, the speaker mentioned that the Galaxy SIII knows our needs. Can it locate and call the closest hooker?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The surprising part

In general, SGSIII came up to be what most people expected but there is one surprise that no one predicted. SGSIII managed to outperform iPhone 4S in graphic benchmarks. Until now iPhone's GPU had a big advantage compared to all other phones. Here are the charts from anantech.com:

46302.png

46304.png

46298.png

And for those who say that "benchmarks do not matter" and "iPhone UI is very smooth" here is a quote from anandtech: "As Brian put it when he first got time with the device: it's butter."

reedmartin

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
In general, SGSIII came up to be what most people expected but there is one surprise that no one predicted. SGSIII managed to outperform iPhone 4S in graphic benchmarks. Until now iPhone's GPU had a big advantage compared to all other phones. Here are the charts from anantech.com:

And for those who say that "benchmarks do not matter" and "iPhone UI is very smooth" here is a quote from anandtech: "As Brian put it when he first got time with the device: it's butter."

Wow! The sgs3 is definitely gonna be the iPhone killer, right? Lol...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I didn't realize the UI was meant to entertain you, I thought it's priority was functionality. That said, Apple, please copy sbsettings, please!

Yes it should. Thats why i tweak around every few weeks. Things get boring after a while. However i agree about sbsettings, thats one part of being a "fun" OS for example

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I can't believe some people welcome this competition. It's flat out theft. I am an innovator myself and have patents. It takes a lot of work, time and money as well as curate to do something new and redefine the old. Samsung/Android just copies, ads some bell and whistles and call it their own. You wanna keep good jobs for our kids here in the US? Then stand on the side on who innovates. Don't support this theft - have them brake the mold for once and redefine the industry. Haven't seen that yet, so there is zero respect from my side. We stop honoring through innovation we end up with no innovation buy relying on those who can't.

As an innovator you should definitely appreciate how innovative Samsung actually is. Here is a rating of companies according to the number of patents granted in 2011:

The-Patent-Research-Experts-%E2%80%93-IFI-CLAIMS%C2%AE-Patent-Services-1-520x404.jpg

Apple is not shown in this table because with its measly 676 US patents it was ranked #39. I believe overall Samsung has order of magnitude more patents than Apple.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
I like how S Match or whatever it's called is priced for 1 month at half of what iTunes Match is priced at for the year. Even though iTunes Match kinda sucks on my iPhone.

I love the idea of trying Android, but I don't want to commit to a platform for two years that I've never used. I wish there were an easy way to try Android without signing a new phone contract.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

I am one of those who say benchmarks by the numbers & by themselves are just a bunch of TOTAL BS!! Those #'s are meaningless. I've seen devices with better GPU benchmarks that lag like crazy. Maybe the SGIII is "butter". And if it is, it'll be the first device with an as smooth or smoother UI then iPhone.

JeepinMan

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Not Telling the Entire Story

It may be true, but as an owner of a company who develops for both Android and iPhone, I can tell you iPhone users use the features of the phone a lot more.

Most cheap phones have some form of Android OS in it, so those looking for just a phone, will end up getting an Android even if they never use it beyond just phone calls. Those who actually care about the experience, features and what it can do, will most likely end up using an iPhone.

As an example, our apps, are about 85% iPhone users and 15% Android users, even though the Android app at the moment has twice the features vs. the iPhone version.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Wow! The sgs3 is definitely gonna be the iPhone killer, right? Lol...

Do you know the saying about the one who LOLs the last? SGS3 will not be iPhone killer. That's not Samsung's goal. Samsung offers variety of phone models to satisfy diverse demands. And they succeed as evidenced by the fact that they sell more smart phones than Apple does. So, while SGSII is not an iPhone killer, Samsung "smart phone" is just that.

nokuchikushi

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
I love my iPhone but some of those features sound nice. The S-voice thing, though, sounds like the same old lame Android voice stuff. I'd really like a bigger iPhone screen to be sure and some of these features but won't be changing to Android any time soon.

1. I have too much invested in iOS apps.
2. I have too much invested in peripherals (docks, speakers, etc.) and those peripherals are not available for Android phones. Bose, for example, can't make speaker docks to fit all the different Samsung phones, never mind all the Android ones.
3. Within a few months, this phone's software will be outdated and the owners of these phones will be LUCKY to EVER get an update. Seriously.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Samsung phones always feel clunky and cheap, on top of that the touch screen always feels like it lags big time. I am not against android it all personally. I do like the look of an HTC phone (some of them atleast). But i had a samsung Impression right before the iPhone 4. Samsung pretty much just laughed at me when i complained that every 25th text, my phone would freeze. For that, ive always been anti samsung. But LG, HTC, Motorola, and others running android are ight!! :D:apple:

Guess if i want positive feedback from people here i have to just say, ANDROID SUCKS!!!!!!! Um, yeah, i think i will pass on that. Thanks for the negative feedback, much appreciated.....:rolleyes:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I am one of those who say benchmarks by the numbers & by themselves are just a bunch of TOTAL BS!! Those #'s are meaningless. I've seen devices with better GPU benchmarks that lag like crazy. Maybe the SGIII is "butter". And if it is, it'll be the first device with an as smooth or smoother UI then iPhone.

It will not be the first. The situation changed after Google implemented UI hardware acceleration in ICS. The first phone to have it was Galaxy Nexus (6 months back). After that moment, iPhone lost its exclusivity on UI "smoothness".

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
to sum it all up ...

some people love it
some people hate it
some people buy it
some people wont buy it

trying to change someone's mind, on a apple forum of all is pointless

at the end of the day, everyone should be happy with whatever they chose ;)

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I think the case for this thing will include a belt or something to hang it over your shoulder.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
There is one new feature that I think is interesting. Apparently it uses a sensor to detect if a face is looking at it, in which case it won't put the screen into sleep mode. That's pretty useful, particularly for reading. It might be a nice feature to make it into an iPad. Maybe Samsung plans to use it as a settlement offer? (I.e. give Apple a license on the software patents behind it in exchange for dropping the lawsuits on the Galaxy Tab).

I'm sorry, but I keep reading comments about this feature, as if it was something actually useful. What is the fascination with this gimmick?

My phone has never timed out and gone to sleep while I was reading a single page, it's a phone, how long does it take to read everything displayed on a small screen?

My phone is set to autolock in two minutes, and if I don't touch the phone screen for longer than two minutes, then I'm probably not using it at the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.