Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Okay I see. Why are you saying Powerbook though?

Back in my day the G5 Powerbook was what everyone on Macrumors was talking about.

----------

I'm still using the iPad 1 and loving it. If I were to upgrade, I would go with the improved iPad 2 right now and be totally satisfied with it. These products are usable for years with proper care, if you're not too picky about screen resolution, IMHO. I've just been wanting the iPad 2 over the new iPad for some reason. I'm a very late and slow adopter of technology, I guess.

I'm still using my 2004 iBook while my 2nd Gen iPod Touch is my main web browsing machine.

I take it the iPad 2,4 would not have the larger 3rd gen iPad battery, in which case these test results are a beautiful thing.

Not one time have I ever even thought my iPad 2 does not last long enough, I mean I only charge the thing once a month as it is. Cheers :apple: Your design inefficiencies continue to impress!

Once a month??? I know people like to exaggerate but come on... The iPad probably has about a month battery life on standby. I probably charge a couple times a week, which is pretty good for my usage.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Roadmap

Apple did an amazing job with the new iPad. Bringing that screen to market and keeping battery life in an acceptable range is a feat of engineering. I think we'll look back 2-3 years from now that it was a defining moment of Apple throwing the hammer down

With the above info, it is clear that there is an incredible battery life roadmap ahead. The next version of the iPad is going to have all shrunken components - A5X, LTE/wireless chipsets, memory. They will probably figure out how to make the screen a bit more efficient. I think we're looking at 10-12 hour battery life. Even with that screen and LTE. Amazing

Apple is creating a clear, defensible competitive advantage here. Competitors have to make these investments to keep up, yet they are losing money hand over fist

What doest his mean five years from now? What does it mean for Apple unit share five years from now? Fascinating to think

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Unfortunately, Anandtech notes that there appears to be no way for customers to ensure that they receive one of these revised iPad 2 models for their $399 purchase, as there are still a significant number of the original iPad 2 models in circulation and they can not be distinguished based without opening the box and turning on the device.

Couldn't one just look at the serial number on the outside of the box to discern production date? And if we could figure out when the change was first produced, then we could tell if the box is likely to contain the new processor.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Unfortunately, Anandtech notes that there appears to be no way for customers to ensure that they receive one of these revised iPad 2 models for their $399 purchase, as there are still a significant number of the original iPad 2 models in circulation

So people are not all over the $399 iPad2? Kind of surprising.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
In a several ways the iPad 2 is superior to the "new iPad". Not only have I found battery life to be better with even my old iPad 2, it charges MUCH faster and I'm noticing the weight and even thickness difference more than I thought I would, and it never even gets the slight bit warm. I regularly switch back and forth between the two.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Okay I see. Why are you saying Powerbook though?

It's an old inside joke, dating back to the days of the PowerBook G4. The next logical progression, of course, was to put a G5 chip in the next series of PowerBooks, but it never happened. It was too big or it ran too hot or both. All the desktop Macs transitioned to G5s and even dual G5s and yet the portable products kept staying with the G4. So of course the rumour mills were filled with "The PowerBook G5 is coming... any day now... maybe next Tuesday!", just like today's iPhone rumours.

"PowerBook G5 next Tuesday" became a satirical dig at the rumor-mongers.

The entire reason why Macs are running on intel chips today was because of Apple's frustrations with the future of the PowerPC chips.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
In a several ways the iPad 2 is superior to the "new iPad". Not only have I found battery life to be better with even my old iPad 2, it charges MUCH faster and I'm noticing the weight and even thickness difference more than I thought I would, and it never even gets the slight bit warm. I regularly switch back and forth between the two.

Yes but as an iPad 2 owner i'm still envious of the better camera, Retina and Bluetooth 4.0

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
"****'s bad man. We got nothing!" - MacRumors writer 1

"It's OK, we have a few iPad 2 rumors saved up. Use this." - MacRumors writer 2

"You sure? Most people aren't even buying iPad 2..." - MacRumors writer 1

"These idiots will argue over anything, just post it!" -MacRumors writer 2

hamlin

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada
This is pretty cool. I bought a Asus Transformer last Aug with the Dock and I can confirm that it lasted really long with both connected. But damn...the ipad doesn't even need a dock and gets similar battery life.

I recently sold my transformer due to me not using it. Great Product - laggy OS.

palouf

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
What about heat

Hi all,
ususally a die shrink has also an impact on better thermal efficiency, is it also the case ? is the device less hot, even allowing a better hot summer usage ?

cheers

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Yes but as an iPad 2 owner i'm still envious of the better camera, Retina and Bluetooth 4.0

Retina is the only thing I'm jealous of, and it's not worth the hit to battery life, thickness, and heat. (for me. Don't jump all over me just because you value different things.)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Retina is the only thing I'm jealous of, and it's not worth the hit to battery life, thickness, and heat. (for me. Don't jump all over me just because you value different things.)

I'm cool with that. The only thing that would have me grabbing another iPad is the mythical mini version. If that never arrives I await the "new iPad" 2013 edition.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
The school district I work for is considering phasing in a 1:1 program with iPad 2s. If we do get the iPad 2s, hopefully they will be the updated ones. Unfortunately, I doubt the kids will remember to plug them in at home.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Assuming Apple didn't change any fundamentals of its microarchitecture, the iPad 2,4's gains in battery life can be attributed directly to the process.
This is why I'm glad we have professional tech writers-- they know science and stuff!

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Hmm, interesting - I had an iPad 2 64gig (WiFi only) replaced a couple of weeks back (UK) as mine had just died, literally just stopped working one morning when I opened the case.

Since I charged the new one two weeks ago today it's now sat at 60% battery, been used for a couple of hours internet/garage band. This is vastly longer than my 9 month old previous one lasted. I seem to remember that one started off well though, but got to the point overnight with all apps closed it would lose about 10%. Anyone else noticed serious degradation in their battery life over time or could this perhaps have been due to the fault which killed mine...

Any way to identify the "new" iPad 2's yet? :)

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
I have retina display on my iPad 2. They have a hack/tweak on Cydia.
So a software hack that shrinks the physical pixel element dimensions and back fills the extra space with additional pixel elements? ...now that is one amazing software hack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.