Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
classic. Thankyou

----------

Guys, guys, guys.
Its a joke.
He's poking fun at all the jail breakers (applies equally to android fans I guess) who every time Apple announces any new features jump all over the comments saying "I've had that for years on my jailbroken iPhone...
Have a sense of humour!

How is that funny? Jailbreakers do typically have access to similar features that Apple implements later...

...obviously not hardware features

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Now you're just trolling. With all due respect there is no WAY you only charge once a month "if that" and still use it twice a day. No matter your battery care (the leaving it sitting at 100% doesn't matter anyway. The OS stops charging once the battery is full)

I don't know why you're accusing him of trolling. (?) Your comment doesn't make sense. I do the same type of iPad activities as he described on my new iPad, and I've charged it twice since getting it on release day. Why would you claim otherwise?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep

Have you looked at the older articles and threads? Half of them are "new powerbook on tuesday???" or something similar. Nothing but Mac-related news is just boring. I like that MacRumors provides general Apple-related and technology-related news

And the URL/title MacRelatedRumors.com looks bad.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Now you're just trolling. With all due respect there is no WAY you only charge once a month "if that" and still use it twice a day. No matter your battery care (the leaving it sitting at 100% doesn't matter anyway. The OS stops charging once the battery is full)

Alright man you got me, im just lying to look cool on a forum?!?!? Ill start running a calender of my charges for you. Now try and understand what trolling is...I have never in the year of owning my iPad 2 EVER EVER charged it. Thats a freaking troll statement. My use is minimal and how you care for your mobile batteries does matter, a great deal. :D

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I'm not really sure what you think Apple should have done.

You essentially have a choice between an iPad that has the retina display, or an iPad that's a little bit more streamlined without the retina display: a bit lighter, a bit thinner, a bit longer battery life.

The retina display was an all-or-nothing thing. It's not like Apple could say "OK, we can fit 3/4 of a retina display in there and keep the iPad 3 at the same thickness and weight and battery life as the iPad 2, so let's do that."

They could have put in a smaller battery to keep the size and weight down, but then we'd complain about the poor battery life. Or they could have put in an even bigger battery to keep ahead of the iPad 2, but then we'd complain about it being too big and heavy.

What would you have had them do?

I think I have to apologize and profess ignorance here...

I was under the mistaken assumption that somehow there was a chip improvement which reflected performance on that level as well as battery.

Sorry all.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Have you looked at the older articles and threads? Half of them are "new powerbook on tuesday???" or something similar. Nothing but Mac-related news is just boring.

Funny, because that type of news seemed to be sufficient in the old days. You could make the same argument that nothing but iPhone and iPad rumors (which make up the bulk now) are similarily uninteresting.

Of course Apple used to be pushing the envelope on computer hardware back then so the majority of current Macrumors readers are completely unaware that Apple was still an interesting company even when they didn't have iOS.

rkhiii

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
Atlanta
If you're looking for a cheap way to check your iPad2 16gb's internal identifier, the app store has a couple of free benchmark apps that will do so. PerformanceTest Moble and PerfScore both worked great. Per the AnandTech article, if you have a new model, it will be listed under the model name in these app utilities as iPad2,4. Looks like I lucked out a coupla weeks ago and grabbed an updated version from MicroCenter. -r

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
I knows what's going on here... Your wife charges the iPad during the day.

Also Apple devices do a discharge recharge while sitting at 100% so that wouldn't affect the device.

There is no Bit at home and trust me if one of the mofo's I live with use my iPad...they certainly do not have the courtesy to put the thing on a charge.

I swear by the battery methods I use and have extended the life of many mobile devices because of it. Both of my old iPhones are still in use and out in the wild. You wont notice it daily but after 2.5 years of use my 3GS had the best battery anyone could ask for at that age with HEAVY use, travel, torture, and my enviornment (its always 90% humidity here in FL)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
What popped to mind after reading this thread was what if Apple made a die shrunk PowerPC external box or PCI card, so folks could run native older apps? That would be a nice way to help folks locked into their prior ecosystem for some apps to stay alive going forward, and without clunky hardware.

TB and Ethernet of course and a couple of legacy ports.

Rocketman

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
That's pretty damn amazing! Good on Apple for not only lowering the price but making the product BETTER in the process!

Eat That Al Qaeda!!!

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Retina is the only thing I'm jealous of, and it's not worth the hit to battery life, thickness, and heat. (for me. Don't jump all over me just because you value different things.)

I've been using an iPad 3 for about a week. I've been able to use it all day and still have 50% battery left, and I've never felt any heat on any part of the back.

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
What popped to mind after reading this thread was what if Apple made a die shrunk PowerPC external box or PCI card, so folks could run native older apps? That would be a nice way to help folks locked into their prior ecosystem for some apps to stay alive going forward, and without clunky hardware.

TB and Ethernet of course and a couple of legacy ports.

Rocketman

While that would be super cool, I'm afraid Apple would be the last company to do that these days. Especially 6+ years after the Intel switch.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Can't you just look at the serial number on the box and look at the date manufactured to get the newer one, or does Apple no longer encode the date into the serial number? I know I had to do this with my first iPod Touch as the first few weeks models had a bad screen where black was actually more grey than really dark greys.

Obviously though this won't work with online ordering, but you should have a pretty good chance when ordering from Apple as they should have the newest stock.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
It seems perfectly reasonable to me that Kasu should feel slightly gobsmacked! If I had the choice between the retina iPad and the iPad2 which blows it out of the water in speed, battery and thinness, I would choose the iPad2.

I bought the new iPad 64gb wifi only and i don't feel cheated. If Apple did improve one of the existing products, good for them and customers, why would that be a bad thing? You always make your own choice when spedning that amount of cash and there is never a guaranty to what may be coming slowly on the horisont.

On a side note, i would never go back to iPad 2 just for the sake of a longer battery life.

Alright man you got me, im just lying to look cool on a forum?!?!? Ill start running a calender of my charges for you. Now try and understand what trolling is...I have never in the year of owning my iPad 2 EVER EVER charged it. Thats a freaking troll statement. My use is minimal and how you care for your mobile batteries does matter, a great deal. :D

so you ADMIT IT!!!! TROLL!!! :D

Thanks for the reality check. Didn't really mean to make a big deal of it, just seemed a bit odd because I remember Apple claimed 1 month of standby time (it appears they have since removed the claim from their website) for the iPad 2 assuming zero usage. So I guess you just got some mega battery :)

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I’m looking at the Helicoptertaxi .plist
This is under the about and the data being sent back to apple. It is supposed to be anonymous but has a device id and my ipad name in the files title.
Anyway it says Hardware Model 2,2 :eek:
I purchased my iPad 2 on day one in Canada. Stood in line 14 hours! :D Tons of fun.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I think I have to apologize and profess ignorance here...

I was under the mistaken assumption that somehow there was a chip improvement which reflected performance on that level as well as battery.

Sorry all.

OK, so what you were really asking is why wasn't the A5X in the iPad 3 also produced with the 32-nm process.

The Anandtech iPad review addresses that to some extent:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5688/apple-ipad-2012-review/11

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
We're being set up for a sick iPad 4… with a 32nm A6 and an IGZO screen, it's going to have crazy battery life, or a really thin enclosure.

iPad (4th Generation)
There will not be an iPad 4 as there was no iPad 3. That's my best guess.

That also goes for everyone else talking about the iPad 3 as well. There is no iPad 3.

Beyond the screen, the new iPad is such a letdown.

I really agree. Let me start by saying I have the iPad 2 and would have purchased the 3rd gen no matter what.

But they had to compromise so much just to get the screen to work. Bigger batter, heavier, thicker, shorter battery life, the quad core chip.... then the only other real addition is the 5mp camera? big whoop, I have never taken a picture with my iPad...

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I really agree. Let me start by saying I have the iPad 2 and would have purchased the 3rd gen no matter what.

But they had to compromise so much just to get the screen to work. Bigger batter, heavier, thicker, shorter battery life, the quad core chip.... then the only other real addition is the 5mp camera? big whoop, I have never taken a picture with my iPad...

Who really complains about weight you can't tell? its NOT really that much heavier or bigger. My iPad 2 case fits with this i haven't felt the difference really it feels like a solid device. Complaining about things so minimal is stupid to me. Battery life feels better on the new iPad also.
if the case gained a half an inch maybe its okay to complain a little and if weight goes up half a pound maybe complain but not over these very little if all increases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.