Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Well, I'd hope it wouldn't become that cluttered. Maybe you could give users the option to have it, sort of like when apps ask you about push notifications?

Well, it contains apps you have downloaded, so there is a good chance that you want to share your pictures/files/whatever to any app in that list.

And the standard Share screen in Android looks like this, and I wouldn't call that cluttered (the previous screen refers to the Gallery app)
Screenshot_2012-05-02-19-25-01.png

I think Apple could make it even better.

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
Widgets would be nice, in notifacation center, not the home screen. Would LOVE to pull down and see the baseball scores of the day, or quickly change my settings. Ice cream sandwich has a quick settings widget, and something of that likes would be GREATLY appreciated! (or quick settings in the multitasking bar) that's really all that I need. I like the UI, they can't really change it that much of they will mess thier Mac to iOS merge. Really all that would be nice is widgets, and a new YouTube app!

ChrisWard1994

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Ireland
1. Facebook integration.
Quite possible seeing as its in iPhoto on mac and iOS

2. Quick settings widget.
I'd hope they'd do this but they'll want to make it look like they aren't copying android.

3. Notification Center widget API.
Can't see this but would be class for the likes of ESPN Score center

4. Turn by Turn navigation
With Siri voice

5. Siri Expanded

6. "Do not disturb"
Like what was introduced on mac

7. Allow spaces on icon grid
A long shot but allow spaces on home screen without icons

Last edited:

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Over the next couple weeks I'm going to try and do some mockups for some of the ideas I posted. Check back!

Pennine

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
Glossop UK
Widgets would be nice, in notifacation center, not the home screen. Would LOVE to pull down and see the baseball scores of the day, or quickly change my settings. Ice cream sandwich has a quick settings widget, and something of that likes would be GREATLY appreciated! (or quick settings in the multitasking bar) that's really all that I need. I like the UI, they can't really change it that much of they will mess thier Mac to iOS merge. Really all that would be nice is widgets, and a new YouTube app!

I agree with everything you've wrote. But will Apple?

streetmapp

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
how about something that "dumbphones" have had for years?

the ability to delete multiple texts at once! the fact that iOS STILL doesn't have this feature is simply mind-boggling.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
how about something that "dumbphones" have had for years?

the ability to delete multiple texts at once! the fact that iOS STILL doesn't have this feature is simply mind-boggling.

You can already do that in iOS. You just press Edit and multi-select the text messages you want to delete, then press Delete. Or you can delete entire conversations.

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
A little thing I guess I would like to see is an "Emergency Contacts" field on the passcode entry screen.

That would make sense!

----------

So I am guessing Turn by Turn directions is a must have for iOS 6. It's on everyones lists including mine.

If they don't include this, I think it's going to be a major disappointment for everyone. Not sure what else they could include that would make iOS 6 so great.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Biggest possible new feature:

CYDIA!!! :D:D:D

Or... no need for a new UI, just a new settings option called THEMES (and buying themes from iTunes or App Store).

Themes would be awesome. They get to keep the original UI on stock.

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Biggest possible new feature:

CYDIA!!! :D:D:D

Or... no need for a new UI, just a new settings option called THEMES (and buying themes from iTunes or App Store).

Themes would be awesome. They get to keep the original UI on stock.

I REALLY don't think they'd ever allow Cydia to be a part of iOS. Also, the themes idea really isn't Apple's style. Definitely more Android/ Jailbreak material.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
(1) Safari extensions. I'd really like to get Adblock in there.
(2) iBooks needs to allow books/pdfs to be sharable and sendable to other apps. Watsting space otherwise.
(3) iBooks syncing through iCloud for all books and pdfs.
(4) iBooks better annotation on pdfs.
(5) Maps needs serious work. Turn by turn navigation would be nice.
(6) Folders in folders, at least for iCloud files.
(7) iWork suite needs to be fully featured.
(8) Siri for all.
(9) Fix iTunes Match, it is slow to the point of barely being usable.
(10) Facetime on LTE at minimum, 3G would be nice.

Last edited:

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
So Siri for all...who have an iPhone and live in an area where LTE is available and choose to pay for it. That sure helps the situation.

Oops, thought it didn't work on 3G. If it does, great no fixing needed there, just add more devices. Fixed my original post.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
I have a really good idea, I don't know if it has been posted before.

There's a feature that already exists in the iPad keyboard, it's a shortcut for the apostrophe. You access it by swiping upward the 'comma/exclamation' key. And if you swipe upward the 'period/question' key, you'll access the quotation marks.
(try it now, I know that some of you don't know this)

My idea is that if there's a way Apple can implement that same feature but on the letters. For example, you'll swipe upward the letter Q for 1, W for 2, etc...
And it can work on all the keyboard. Because notice how when you switch between the 'letters' keyboard and the 'numbers/punctiation' keyboard, the layout is practically the same. (maybe put a small light grey number/symbol above each letter to show which number/symbol you'll type)

That would save us a LOT of time in typing and editing!

And as you all might know the feature that has been making the rounds on YouTube, the one that you can swipe left and right on the keyboard to control the cursor. Implementation of that idea with mine, will make the iPad keyboard one hell of a beast.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
OK, it's one of these threads again, oh well, let's do it...

I agree with the OP, Maps needs improvements, lots of improvements, Apple is the only one without a first party navigation solution. Not only Maps though, but all iOS apps need an update and improvement.

Live icons - Icons that change according to an event, for example a weather app could show the temperature in it's icon.

Widgets - In the notification centre

Multitasking gestures like in Zephyr(Cydia tweak) - Swipe from bottom up from the bottom and hold for Switcher, swipe up/flick up from the bottom to go back to the Homescreen. The Switcher itself should also be doubled in size IMO and audio controls should be placed above the app icons.

Integrate Spotlight search into notification center - put it on top(above stocks/weather), The search should be instantly accessible from anywhere with minimal taps/swipes.

SBSettings(Quick switches) widget in Notification Center - Wifi, bluetooth, airplane, cellular data, 3G, brightness

Hide or uninstall default iOS apps, I don't need Newsstand

App cross-communication and integration

Integrated full Bluetooth support, sending files, contacts, syncing, etc...

Wi-Fi Direct support/Airdrop, sending files, contacts, syncing, etc...

Increase folder size, allow for multiple pages in folders - InfiniFolders

Camera app needs Timer, time/date/location tagging, 720p @ 60FPS recording option, White balance, Exposure, Light sensitivity(ISO), Contrast
Sharpness, all of these should be added.

Birthday's in Calendar - Right now iOS reads your contacts and displays birthdays of your contacts in the Calendar, but I want it to show the actual age the person is turning in the brackets too... example: John Smith [35].

Ability delete photos from Photo Library

Ability to view the image file information, EXIF(date of taking, size, etc)

Calendar - upcoming event badges on calendar(with an ability to adjust how far in advance you can see your events, 24hours, 7 days, 14 days, etc..)
I know badges are used for invitations right now, but how often do you get those?

Calendar events in Notification Center/Lockscreen - Configure look at head, it only shows events for the next 24 hours, what if I want to show events for the next 72 hours?

iMessage - Needs an ability to share location(Map) like with WhatsApp, right from the iMessage. Current you can only send photos from iMessage, but Maps and Contacts shortcuts should be added too. Also it would be great if the image EXIF data was preserved when sent so the receiver could "open" that image in Maps and navigate... quickly snap a picture of a location, send it, the receiver gets the image, taps "Open in Maps" and finds the route to you.

Prevent shut down when the phone is locked.

Delivery notification for normal SMS messages.

Snooze time configuration option for alarm, (amount of snoozes, time in between).

More "Pull down to refresh/do something" mechanics throughout the system.

Private browsing switch IN the Safari, so you can switch it on/off while you're in Safari, not having to go into Settings.

Swiping to get rid of notification banners - swipe them left or right.

Swipe up for the multitasking bar, Volume control and music controls should be available right there, on top of each other so you don't have to swipe to the left for them.

GridTab view for Safari.

YouTube continuous playlist play.

Maps - When you are picking a bookmark or a contact in Maps there is this text in the title taking up space "Choose a bookmark/contact to view on the map" Remove that, most people already know how to use it.

iTunes

Drag and drop(manually manage) pictures without the need to sync. I don't want to have a folder specifically for the iPhone, I want to simply grab a picture and drag it into the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.