Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
UI is fine. They make small UI updates because people don't like change.(Facebook)

And Apple definitely doesn't. Compare OS X 10.0 with 10.7... Not too many UI changes at all.

Still, we live in a world of live data. Even MS gets the fact that there is no reason to have to go inside an app just to get the score of a game, the current temp, etc. A lot of MS's new mobile stuff has data built into the app icons. Now, Apple has the temperature covered with notification center, but this either needs to be expanded to allow other apps to have a single notification with live data or changed to something better.

I'd love to see app icons with live data or pop-up data (maybe widgets would work). I just feel like I'm forever jumping into an app for one piece of info. Then, I go into another app for something else. App times are still too slow in my opinion for this. Live Data, somehow, please!

I just find it funny that in a supposedly post-pc world, my "desktop" is more cluttered with "folders" of "icons" than my PC has ever been.

And as much as I wish they would, they'll never let us delete all the bloatware crap that they pile onto iDevices. I still can't figure out why, but I don't think they ever will.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
I agree with YouTube needing an upgrade. Right now there's no way to message a link to a video other than fake emailing it to someone, copying the url, then paste it into a message and then send it.

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I agree with YouTube needing an upgrade. Right now there's no way to message a link to a video other than fake emailing it to someone, copying the url, then paste it into a message and then send it.

Ah I totally forgot to mention that! So annoying! I'll add it to my list!

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
great post, with you on almost everything, most importantly the os overhaul, ios feels and looks very dated, esp. so on the ipad.

My idea is that they should create a new integrated and customizable ui, a la windows 8, as a top layer to be switched on and off by the user should they wish to. That'll be the best of both worlds for both "classic" users and users who want to try something new. Imagine how great it will be to have a windows where one can pick and chose notification items, views of apps appearing, etc. etc.

If they have still any ui sense at apple and if os x and the new apple tv interface is any indication, they don't have much, this is the only and the best solution.

They don't even need to have guts to do this, as if they screw up, one can still disable it and opt for the classic layout. If Jobs had been overseeing such a thing, it will appear, if he wasn't I don't think anyone has the balls to try it out at the moment in apple, esp. so when the marketing types will say this will alienate users who know ios.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
let's be honest. Look at almost any new thread that pops up any day. The vast majority of them are rehashes of other threads. Very few threads are a completely fresh topic that has never been discussed before.
Mac Rumours is king for this I swear.

I still don't see Siri being useful for opening apps, changing brightness. It's SLOW, by the time I've activated Siri I could've done any of those tasks. I use Siri a few times a week, for reminders and alarms. The dication is OK but having to go fix mistakes, I might as well just type everything out.

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Mac Rumours is king for this I swear.

I still don't see Siri being useful for opening apps, changing brightness. It's SLOW, by the time I've activated Siri I could've done any of those tasks. I use Siri a few times a week, for reminders and alarms. The dication is OK but having to go fix mistakes, I might as well just type everything out.
I can't imagine Siri staying this slow forever. Keep in mind, it's still in beta.

Saying change backlight to 50% instead of going through menus is much quicker in my opinion.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
I can't imagine Siri staying this slow forever. Keep in mind, it's still in beta.

Saying change backlight to 50% instead of going through menus is much quicker in my opinion.

no way, just say it, change backlight to fifty per cent, or swipe up, right, change it. And you get the added benefit of not dehumanizing yourself by learning to command a machine.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I like many of your suggestions, but I think you are thinking a bit narrow. Catching up to WebOS or Android is necessary in some respect, but iOS has some more fundamental issues and unfinished features that need more urgent response. For instance:
  1. Hand off between WiFi to cellular is very flaky.
  2. Sharing documents & data across applications.
  3. Cannot override default applications (Camera and Safari being prime offenders).
  4. Multitasking isn't there. Apps can drain battery and cause major performance issues.
  5. Managing applications on the home screen. I would love automatic management by category, which is something Palm Pilot offered long ago.
  6. Game Center should manage ALL games and Newsstand should do the same for news apps. As it stands, neither does their job well. Game Center is too slow, does not categorize games, and poor at launching games. Newsstand is very underpowered, essentially just a folder without subscription management.
  7. iMessage is a nice step, but it just doesn't work very well. No one knows how to configure caller ID either (which shouldn't even be necessary). Messages app needs major overhaul as well.

2.) UI refresh
Let's face it, the iOS UI has been, for the most part, untouched since it's introduction in 2007. As a user since 2007, the UI is really starting to feel old.
I disagree with changing UI for the sake of addressing boredom. Many of existing iOS elements are chosen very carefully.

Improving the looks of few UI elements can improve aesthetics without harming usability, such as:
  • Pinstripe background wallpaper used on several built-in apps
  • Headers and footers (blue or dark gray gradient on iPhone and light gray on iPad) are fairly unattractive and could use redesign.
  • Better textures on notification center and multitasking bar.

And I think Apple would be wise to focus on improving elements that do not work quite well, such as home screen (and multitasking UI that you illustrated), notification center, search, and global documents & data provisioning to name a few. And many of its traditional built-in apps are showing age and/or suffers from numerous usability issues, such as Phone, Calendar, and Messages.

6.) Notifications in Status bar
One of my BIGGEST annoyances with iOS is the notification system. It improved greatly in iOS 5, but I want the ability for apps to display an icon in the status bar at the top of the screen.

The status bar has extremely limited available space. Who decides what goes up there? I propose single generic notification center icon (for new notification since last view) and improving the notification center itself.

7.) A Camera with basic settings
I know Apple is all about simplicity with its software but there is no reason I shouldn't be able to do basic tweaks (brightness, contrast, saturation). I would also love the ability to take video/ photos in different resolutions.
I agree with settings (e.g., resolution, maximum ISO, widescreen view finder), but tweaks are best done in Photos app, which does most of what you said already.

That said, I think Apple should expose more APIs (e.g., ISO, white balance) and allow third party camera app on the lock screen.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Multitasking isn't there. Apps can drain battery and cause major performance issues.

Can you elaborate a bit on this, I wasn't aware of such issues.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO

that and the fact that at some point we will have an LTE iPhone. They will keep upgrading their servers that house siri.

Its not like it can get any worse right? unless they go back to the old voice commands which didn't really do much.

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
that and the fact that at some point we will have an LTE iPhone. They will keep upgrading their servers that house siri.

Its not like it can get any worse right? unless they go back to the old voice commands which didn't really do much.

Exactly. We haven't used Siri on 4G yet. Ping times are nearly that of WiFi and speeds exceed what most people use at home. Apple will continue to improve Siri and hopefully bring it out of beta soon. They've pushed it too heavily to let this one slip out of their hands.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I'm with the OP on this. I'm ready for a bit of an overhaul of iOS. So much so I've been looking at Jailbreaking or just switching phones. Depending on what comes out this fall, I am going to be looking at Android for the first time. I'd much rather stay with iPhone. I like the iTunes ecosystem and I've got mine very organized. It will take a lot for me to change, but if all they do is redesign the case and bump the processor, it will take a lot to stay as well.

Johnri

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
Apple hates Facebook (Ping), and due to their privacy issues, the average user should as well. There are so many social networking sites out now, Apple can't allow sharing with all of them..just imagine how many there will be in 2 years!

I think twitter is the best choice because of the quick and easy sharing..also no privacy issues yet!

Idk about the privacy part. The us gov keeps an archive of all tweets made

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Idk about the privacy part. The us gov keeps an archive of all tweets made

Apple and the ns of a are best buddies too, but then again who isn't, it's just what we ll have to face nowadays... Problem is Facebook also gets boatloads of money from selling all your private life to private corporations as well...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Apple hates Facebook (Ping), and due to their privacy issues, the average user should as well. There are so many social networking sites out now, Apple can't allow sharing with all of them..just imagine how many there will be in 2 years!

I think twitter is the best choice because of the quick and easy sharing..also no privacy issues yet!
No privacy issues due to no privacy.

Yeah...except that everything is public, and when you delete your account or just a tweet you regret, it is forever mirrored by a thousand terrible tweet-munging web 2.0 services.
And you think you can ever really delete anything on Facebook. There have been articles about links to pictures still working years after they were "deleted" by the Facebook user. No privacy is no privacy.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Can Demi-Gods merge threads? If so this with that: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1280848/ would be appreciated! :)

----------

I disagree with 6 to an extent btw. But it would be nice to have an overall notification counter letting me know I've left something in my notification centre. Having an icon for all notifications seems very messy to me.

Shikamary

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
No privacy issues due to no privacy.

And you think you can ever really delete anything on Facebook. There have been articles about links to pictures still working years after they were "deleted" by the Facebook user. No privacy is no privacy.

Yes I agree with you on this. It kind of disturbs me because I deleted my Facebook and I can easily activate it by putting in my password again even after a year. If I knew that I had to sacrifice privacy, I would have never joined Facebook. :( but any way since I really don't have any profile anymore that is active this one I would suggest apple making their own profile and I would sign up. I notice people who use apple are a bit more positive. Just a simple app with an apple icon on it would do. iMessage I would like to see integrated in it and find friends. Also merge game center as well. I do not think it nessecary to have so many apps when it could be integrated into one app. I notice the merged apps I noted before are all social apps so FaceTime as well would be merged. I would call it iProfile.
The profile would give you the option to share your photos collections of your photos app, and or videos. An option to make and post your resume so businesses can see your out for hire. Option to show and let viewers browse your music library. Option to enable or disable find friends on the app.
The app will let you move your selected photo around by dragging it to what ever area you would like to see it. It will let you choose your backround or add apple made themes. You can access your iCloud email from here and show up on your app icon as the usual red alert or in notifications. You can put your usual about me info, interests, etc. if you choose.
This app would eliminate the seperate apps that drain your space on your device.

Cyacene

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Here's what I think Apple could do to improve things.

1. Clean up the App store by combining apps with individual stores!
-iBooks and the bookstore is already done
-Combine iTunes and Music
-Combine Newstand and subscriptions
-Combine Game Center and create a separate game store

2. Once widgets (with live updates) are allowed in notification centre, I have my fingers crossed that Apple will replace the home screen with the notification centre entirely. This would be the complete UI refresh that everyone is asking for and be far more functional than the app grid.
-default home button action bring us to notification centre
-swipe up for old app grid when needed
-have a widget for multitasking (basically same functionality as now but no need for the double click)
-spotlight is now accessible by swiping left from notification centre rather than app grid

3. Open up Siri for devs.
At first I thought this would be a nightmare for settings as which app would siri use if you had multiple apps with similar functionality. I think the answer here is easier than I thought. I Siri was a real assistant, how would I handle this? I would just ask. There would be no settings or switches, she would just learn by asking.
"Find me a pizza restaurant"
"You can use Yelp or Urbanspoon to find a restaurant"
"Use Yelp"
"I found these restaurants for you"
And the next time you asked for a similar service, she wouldn't need to ask.

4. More with Siri
- Allow her to manage the entire settings.app
"Turn off bluetooth"
"Disable Facebook notifications"
"Backup my phone to iCloud"
-Intigrate Siri with notifications
"you have new email" (instead of just sounds)
"read it to me"

I can already accomplish most of this with jailbreak tweaks, but Apple seems to look to that community for updates so I have hight hopes! Bring on IOS6!

IOS7:
Now that Siri has exploded with functionality (after a year of developers playing with it), Allow my assistant to talk with your assistant.
"Schedule a lunch with frank for next week"
"Frank, Bob wants to have lunch with you next week, should I schedule something?"
"Sure"
"Okay, you both have time to meet on Wednesday at 1pm, I will schedule that for you"
"great, how about pizza"
"Okay Frank, same place as last time?"
etc...

Last edited:

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
1.) Maps Overhaul

I'd love to see turn-by-turn powered by Maps & Siri. The rest, don't care much about. I like the Maps UI a lot personally. I also don't really feel the need for a major OS-wide UI change. This isn't Android.

3.) More sharing integration

Agreed.

4.) Siri enhancements
Siri is a great tool. The problem is, Siri is slightly too limited. I want Siri to be able to open applications, change settings, work with 3rd party applications, and more. (without jailbreaking) Siri is still in beta, so I hope that these features are in the pipeline.

Wholeheartedly agree. Honestly, even if they just added the rest of the text-to-speech features OS X already has, it would be an improvement.

The obvious one is giving us more voices than just Samantha (Siri's voice). But the biggest for me is that, in OS X, you can just highlight a bit of text, right-click, and have it read by whichever voice is your default. Even better, now you actually have the option to "save to iTunes as a spoken track," with the voice of your choosing (FYI: Siri's voice is 'Samantha; she, along with Alex and Serena, are the most human-sounding English voices).

I think that feature in particular could be an incredibly useful tool for Reading List, particularly for mobile users. Imagine if you added a page to your RL, and when you went back to check, you could either use Reader or listen to it via audio. Could be great for a long ride/walk home.

But yeah, beyond just super-easy stuff like that, it would be great if Siri had really deep integration. I definitely think that's in the cards with Apple's future. I think they haven't begun to scratch the surface of Siri's usefulness. I suspect the only reason for this is not quite enough cloud computing power. The Death Star needs more work.

5.) Notification Center enhancements
Notification Center was a major addition to iOS 5. 3rd party devs should be able to create widgets for their applications that can be enabled by users. Second, the ability to toggle brightness, wifi, bluetooth, etc should also be an option for users to enable.

I like SBSettings, but I'm not sure most users need it.

Meh. iPhoto covers this. So do a zillion other apps.

8.) Cart in iTunes store and App store

Could be cool, but you already can basically do this. You enter your password once, and for the next 15 minutes if you're "shopping," no need to reenter.

And honestly, everything else could be pretty much covered by one very simple added feature:

Gatekeeper.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
And Apple definitely doesn't. Compare OS X 10.0 with 10.7... Not too many UI changes at all.

Still, we live in a world of live data. Even MS gets the fact that there is no reason to have to go inside an app just to get the score of a game, the current temp, etc. A lot of MS's new mobile stuff has data built into the app icons. Now, Apple has the temperature covered with notification center, but this either needs to be expanded to allow other apps to have a single notification with live data or changed to something better.

I'd love to see app icons with live data or pop-up data (maybe widgets would work). I just feel like I'm forever jumping into an app for one piece of info. Then, I go into another app for something else. App times are still too slow in my opinion for this. Live Data, somehow, please!

I just find it funny that in a supposedly post-pc world, my "desktop" is more cluttered with "folders" of "icons" than my PC has ever been.

And as much as I wish they would, they'll never let us delete all the bloatware crap that they pile onto iDevices. I still can't figure out why, but I don't think they ever will.

Very good points all around. I too find immense clutter on iOS, I don't particularly understand why still icons have to be iPhone sized and why there can't be a properly customized lock screen or as I said before overlay to the os with customizable app data appearing. This seems to have flown over the ops and other people's heads here. The paradigm of open mail to check mail, open reminders app to see to do, open any news app to see current news, open any live feed app to see any live update is seriously lacking...

With you on th bloatware too, I VE tucked them away in an apple folder somewhere on page 6 of iOS but I wish I was at some point given the pleasure of just kick a few of them permanently out of the device...

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I put my thoughts to your fixes in bold. I agree with most of them. I'm not asking for a major UI overhaul but some changes are needed.

I know this has been done before and again, but I do enjoy reading everyone's suggestions as to what could be added or implemented into iOS 6. Hopefully you'll do the same with mine.

I know some of these are corrected through jailbreak apps, but I don't want to have to jailbreak to get these basic features. Also, Android is not for me, I prefer the stability of iOS, please don't suggest I switch to it if I want some of the features. While I'm sure there are plenty more features that could be tweaked or added that I overlooked, I think this is a good place to start.

1.) Maps Overhaul

Let's put it this way. Maps on iOS sucks. Something that is used so heavily by users and it's been pretty much neglected save for a few new features along the way. Let's hope Apple puts their acquisitions of several mapping companies to use. The anonymous traffic data they've collected may also prove to be an extraordinary feature. The addition of a turn by turn navigation is needed. I've used it on Android and it's the one thing I actually envy Android users for. I think Apple should still rely on some of Google's mapping data, but implement some of their own for different layers. I'd like to see terrain view and interior room view added as well. Small but really annoying thing I've noticed is when you double tap the location arrow to see which way you're facing on a map is that as soon as you move the map around, it switches out of that mode.

This defiantly needs to be redone. Plus the fact that we don't have voice turn by turn directions yet it just laughable. Get that Siri voice to navigate me!

2.) UI refresh
Let's face it, the iOS UI has been, for the most part, untouched since it's introduction in 2007. As a user since 2007, the UI is really starting to feel old. Apple has redone some UI elements to freshen things up (the switches are no longer squares but round pegs, etc.), but I think a system wide UI refresh is in order. Obviously the framework should remain the same as it has worked well, but visually it could use an overhaul.

I agree to a point. I love the OS basics and how simple it is and how it is designed. Though it is starting to feel a bit "stale." Everything seems so boring and not Apple in my mind. The live tiles in Windows OS is absolutely great. Something has to be done with the boring icons. I still find it sad that we don't have a dynamic weather icon. It can't even give me a quick temperature?

3.) More sharing integration
With iOS 5, Apple introduced the ability to share with Twitter. That's great and all, but most users arguably use Facebook more often. Facebook integration is a no brainer. Other services such as Flickr should also be considered.

Yes and no. I use Facebook just to really post some videos or photos to some of my friends. I don't use Twitter. So it would be nice if I took a photo on my phone that I could just share to facebook right after I took it without having to go through Facebooks absolutely poor excuse for an App (don't get my started on that App...I HATE IT).

4.) Siri enhancements
Siri is a great tool. The problem is, Siri is slightly too limited. I want Siri to be able to open applications, change settings, work with 3rd party applications, and more. (without jailbreaking) Siri is still in beta, so I hope that these features are in the pipeline.

I strongly believe we will see more from Siri. Apple advertised Siri maybe a bit too soon and most people think that if it is released that it can't be in beta. Apple did stress when they first announced it that it is still in Beta. Though I felt they advertised it a bit too much on TV for something that is still in Beta.

5.) Notification Center enhancements
I would love to be able to open up the Notification Center API a little bit and allow developers to create some little widgets that go in there. I could easily swipe down and get a quick score update for my favorite team.

Lets say I download the ESPN App. I set my favorite teams. Their should be a setting or something to add to Notification Center as a widget. Perfect place for Widgets in the OS.

6.) Notifications in Status bar
One of my BIGGEST annoyances with iOS is the notification system. It improved greatly in iOS 5, but I want the ability for apps to display an icon in the status bar at the top of the screen. I want an envelope to show when I have new email. I want an "f" to show when I have a facebook notification, I want to see an icon that notifies that my phone is on silent, etc. This is already possible by jailbreaking but it really should be an option for users to enable.

I don't care about notification icons as I absolutely hate a crowded status bar. My status bar would get filled up quick! Though I agree i can't believe we can't display whether the phone is in silent mode or not in the status bar.

I just want them to continue to work on the load time even more with it. I don't really need any more options. I'll just use iPhoto.

8.) Cart in iTunes store and App store
I would love to have a cart.
Though to add even more to that, I still don't see why Apple hasn't merged every store they have into one store now. If they ever do this, it'll be perfect in my opinion. I hate going from store to store to store.

9.) Better Usage meters
I'll admit, I don't really care as I am a lucky one that still has unlimited data, but I do agree that monthly data usage should be a "stat" that we can see. Right now isn't the usage only like a total of what it has been since we last reset it or bought the phone?

10.) Group texts
If my phone rings 5 times in less than 10 seconds again because of group messages, I'm going to scream! I'll admit I love it in some instances. Had like a 5 person conversation the other day as we were trying to figure out what we were all going to do and all that. Very nice to not have to keep texting each other with updates.

11.) Album improvements
Exactly! I want to be able to move a photo I took from my Camera Roll to another album and it not still be in my Camera Roll. if I take a picture of a car, why can't I move that picture to an album that is for Cars or something? Sure I can but it still says in the Camera Roll. Why? It is in my Cars album. Why does it need to be in the Camera roll.

12.) Better app switching
I double tap to see what apps are running and to switch between them. Apple is wasting screen real-estate by using only the bottom 1/5 of the screen. App icons aren't nearly helpful as live previews like webOS' cards. I want to see the space used more effectively.

Yes please! A preview or something! Just blur out the homescreen and bring up live previews of the apps I have running in a 3D type view. I swipe to the App and then I switch to it.

13.) Ability to delete and re-download stock iOS apps.
That would be perfect! Sure go ahead and put the app on my phone. But at least allow me to delete them. Put them in the App store and let me download them that way again. Like you said it would also allow Apple to be able to update these apps without an iOS update.

14.) Widgets
I hate widgets. Put some small ones in the notification center.

15.) Youtube
I hate having to fake an email just to get a link to send to someone via text. I sometimes just use the mobile website of YouTube to watch it.
16.) Fix Spellcheck
Spell Check is fine. It's the autocorrect that has seemed to get worse and worse.

17.) Music app overhaul
I don't see what else they could do with it? Maybe a couple new features or something, but other than that it works perfectly for me and it serves its purpose as a music app.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Needs to be resolution independent and Siri

1. With more and more iDevices being released with different screen sizes and resolutions they need to re-wite the UI to be resolution independent.
It is highly inefficient to redesign and store UI elements for each and every iDevice resolution on the market.

2. As stated before Apple needs to release Siri APIs so everyone can write apps to take advantage.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
While I am 100% with you on ri, I can only say good luck with that... They haven't done it in 12 years on the Mac..

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
1. With more and more iDevices being released with different screen sizes and resolutions they need to re-wite the UI to be resolution independent.
It is highly inefficient to redesign and store UI elements for each and every iDevice resolution on the market.

2. As stated before Apple needs to release Siri APIs so everyone can write apps to take advantage.

Wait what do you mean more and more?

There's the iPod Touch & iPhone and there's the iPad. That's two screen sizes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.