Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbit

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
Can anyone answer my question? Minimum RAM is listed as 4gigs. In a more detailed program breakdown I saw that certain apps have different minimum ram requirements, such as After Effects being 4gigs. Does this mean if I want to use it on the go with my old MBP that only supports 3 gigs I'm out of luck?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Can anyone answer my question? Minimum RAM is listed as 4gigs. In a more detailed program breakdown I saw that certain apps have different minimum ram requirements, such as After Effects being 4gigs. Does this mean if I want to use it on the go with my old MBP that only supports 3 gigs I'm out of luck?

You'll be okay, but your performance will certainly lag. Since AE is going to want to use at least 4GBs, and you only have 3GBs available and your OS and any other apps are going to be using some, AE won't be anywhere near as smooth as you want it to be.

Certain apps may not run, or will flash a warning before it fully loads.

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK

I'm running CS6 on an 2007 iMac that also has a maximum of 3gig Ram and it's running fine so far. The performance is not as good as my MacPro at work of course but i've not had any warnings, crashes or problems at all. But i have not even tried AE as I never use it. DW PS AI ID are all OK so far.

sweetie81

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Yes get as much memory as possible. 8Gb at least. I use Lightroom and Photoshop at the same time with 4GB and it runs out of steam. That being said Photoshop has standard memory size allocated to itself.

I could go down but need some speed and memory performance in order to juggle with multiple layers etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.