Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Did you hear these turkeys on MacWorld podcast congratulating themselves that STUDENTS only have to pay $39 per month for their software?

Now we know, all the design students are going to have to become strippers just to pay for their software.

Dig that hole deeper, Adobe!

Hmm, Adobe's website, when set to Student or Teacher Edition for the Cloud, shows $29 per month, not $39, at least in the US. Not too bad compared to $799 for the Master Suite. That's if you need everything, but if I were a student, I'd rather own the software at the student discount pricing, especially since you can use them commercially and upgrade them.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
$2599 for Master Collection in US, for some unfathomable reason it's $4,314.64 in the UK.

No thanks, I'll stick to piratebay.

Yup, that's a crazy UK price.

Adobe, if you're listening, I'd pay $2599 for the Master Collection in the UK. I wouldn't ever dream of buying the UK one. I could afford the UK one but why should it cost so much more here?

Our UK tax would bring that up to around $3100. Where's that extra $1200 going?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I think the best deal for heavy Adobe users like me is to get Creative Cloud, with the discount upgrade pricing, but wait until the LAST possible moment to begin your monthly expenditure. I.e. wait for the moment you truly need a new version (I don’t intend to be an early-adopter guinea pig) OR the moment the upgrade deal is about to run out. (December 2012? Gotta double-check that.)

Then, when that $50 monthly deal runs out, it may make sense to pick your moment (see what deals/discounts arise) and buy the most important Adobe apps outright—but from then on, buy them much less often. I used to buy every other version, but if Adobe truly won’t allow upgrade pricing to those who skip even a “half version,” then essentially that’s STILL an enforced subscription plan... and I don’t intend to participate. Instead, I’ll buy the apps LESS often than ever before. Every third/fourth version or more. That savings will make up for Adobe’s worsening upgrade terms.

If the best deal at that time is not a bundle, then I’ll just upgrade the most vital individual apps. I’ll phase out the others or stick with old versions. For instance, maybe I’ll get Flash every 3 versions, Photoshop every 6 versions, and let Illustrator get “old.”

This plan should last a pretty long time... long enough for competition to emerge maybe? I can dream.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
I love monday mornings on MR, we finally get all the weekend stories!

Adobe needs to lower prices and utilize the Mac AppStore (or would that raise prices?).

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
So has anyone who subscribed to Creative Cloud....downloaded the trials? Or are you waiting until Friday?

-Kevin

I subscribed, I'm still using the Superstition build on my main machine, figure I'll wait till the CC installer is ready.

Does anyone know if Adobe actually took time to implement some of the new features in Lion such as full screen apps or Versions?

CS6 has it's own version built into its preferences. It puts in a PSAutoRecover folder on your scratch disk, and you can set it to when the auto recover works (I have mine at every 5 minutes).

Also, as a recent grad, $30/mo isn't a lot for a student to afford. If it is, get a part time minimum wage job and work a few hours a week.

Last edited:

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
$50 a month doesn't sound bad if you're a professional user...

No, you have the choice.....either:

a) buy a normal license like before....you own the software and will have to pay for future upgrades

b) subscribe to Creative Cloud....you get access to ALL the software as long as you are a subscriber. FYI....if you own a license to a CS3+ suite...then you can get Creative Cloud for $29.99/month for the first year.

-Kevin

Thanks for the clarity. The $50 per month subscription model doesn't sound bad at all from a professional's standpoint. However, does this mean that your licensed subscription copy of Adobe CS only runs via the cloud, or do you still download the software to your computer and activate the subscription code locally on your system? (I'm guessing the later, but just want to be sure)

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
$2599 for Master Collection in US, for some unfathomable reason it's $4,314.64 in the UK.

Unfortunately, that looks like something that has not changed with Adobe. The European customers end up paying an arm and a leg and vital organ or two.

---------------

It looks like the marketers and sales people have fully taken control with lovely and "innovative" marketing copy like this:

- Remarkable new science, integrated into imaging and video apps, makes previously impossible tasks suddenly possible.

- Ongoing innovation that provides members with the most up-to-date products and services

It seems like Adobe is running out of actual things to talk about if these are bullet items to feature.

dbit

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
So, I saw that the minimum RAM on the master suite is 4 gigs, particularly with after effects. Does this mean if I want to run the program on the go on my 2006 C2D machine that has a maximum supported RAM of 3 gigs then I'm out of luck??

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011

No thanks, I'll stick to piratebay.

Yeah, prices aren't negotiable. If you don't wanna pay, then you don't get to use the software. I'm no big fan of Adobe, but stealing software that hundreds - if not thousands - of developers worked on for months is illegal and should be frowned upon by everyone.

Don't be a criminal. Support software you like. Or, do this:

The moment I saw $2,599,

I went here:

http://www.gimp.org/

here:

http://www.pixelmator.com/

and here:

http://www.cinepaint.org/

These won't suite everyone's needs but they suit mine perfectly.

All of these projects have been evolving and recently released major updates.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Thanks for the clarity. The $50 per month subscription model doesn't sound bad at all from a professional's standpoint. However, does this mean that your licensed subscription copy of Adobe CS only runs via the cloud, or do you still download the software to your computer and activate the subscription code locally on your system? (I'm guessing the later, but just want to be sure)

Nope...everything is downloaded and run locally. Like all Adobe products...whether you buy or subscribe to the cloud....you have to activate them. When you subscribe to CC....you download whatever app you want....install it locally....and your CC license is what activates it.

Adobe says that it will check every 30 days for a valid subscription (and you get like a 7 day grace period if you don't have internet access and it expires).

Here's the full FAQ:
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

-Kevin

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area

You choose what software you want to download and install like a normal creative suite, on to two computers (main and backup), using one computer at a time. The software can run without an internet connection, but every 30 days it will check for a valid subscription online. I hope it's not zero tolerance policy if unable to verify and just disables the software. Like if Adobe's server is down or you don't have a connection. Maybe it will give a warning with a 15-30 day countdown before it shuts down. Or maybe an automated number you can call for an activation code on the road.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
what was once impossible is now possible! sigh...

It looks like the marketers and sales people have fully taken control with lovely and "innovative" marketing copy like this:

- Remarkable new science, integrated into imaging and video apps, makes previously impossible tasks suddenly possible.

- Ongoing innovation that provides members with the most up-to-date products and services

It seems like Adobe is running out of actual things to talk about if these are bullet items to feature.

Yeah, those bulleted "features" are so ridiculous. :D

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
You choose what software you want to download and install like a normal creative suite, on to two computers (main and backup), using one computer at a time. The software can run without an internet connection, but every 30 days it will check for a valid subscription online. I hope it's not zero tolerance policy if unable to verify and just disables the software. Like if Adobe's server is down or you don't have a connection. Maybe it will give a warning with a 15-30 day countdown before it shuts down. Or maybe an automated number you can call for an activation code on the road.

7 day grace period.

ynocturnal

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
"Customers who purchase a 12-month prepaid membership at a participating retail or online store...." Any idea which stores will carry this prepaid card? Might be an outside chance to get a better discount.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I guess the main issue I have is that Adobe haven't really made any room in their pricing structure for hobbyists. $60/month is actually pretty fair for a business. But what about someone who enjoys using their software for personal use, to which the Elements versions are too restricting. Microsoft have finally gone this way and offered a home version of Office (without Outlook Exchange support), so it would be great it Adobe could do something similar.

I am sure there will be some companies that will want to be cheap and use such a version for commercial use. But if they get audited they will still get a big fine and chances are, they would have otherwise just pirated it.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
The Creative Cloud subscription is just worth every penny. I am a long Adobe user and this is by far the most beneficial way to get the suite. I would never update from 5.5 if the subscription plan wouldn't exist. I can't understand thos people who say, this is too expensive. In Germany it costs €61.49 monthly and this is still acceptable.

Updates since now were just lame. But the improvements in CS6 are a big reason to upgrade. The so called Adobe Mercury Graphics functionality makes all major apps more faster. I could see significant improvements so far.

Does somebody know if I have to replace the trial apps on Friday with the new ones? Or can I turn my trials into paid versions by logging in with my Adobe ID? I am a CC subscriber, too.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Does somebody know if I have to replace the trial apps on Friday with the new ones? Or can I turn my trials into paid versions by logging in with my Adobe ID? I am a CC subscriber, too.

Supposedly....you can just activate the triais on Friday with your new CC license. That's what people are saying on the Adobe forums as well and Adobe support.

I'm just nervous that the trials are somehow different and will have issues.....but that just me I guess ;)

-Kevin

----------

The Creative Cloud subscription is just worth every penny. I am a long Adobe user and this is by far the most beneficial way to get the suite. I would never update from 5.5 if the subscription plan wouldn't exist. I can't understand thos people who say, this is too expensive. In Germany it costs €61.49 monthly and this is still acceptable.

BTW....did you get the discount pricing for the first year? Since you are a current 5.5 owner?

-Kevin

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It's time for adobe to reduce their prices and get their stuff in the Mac App Store.

Why should they deal with Apple's fees? They sell quite a lot directly. They sell on places like Amazon too, but the concern is most likely that it'll end in a net loss in profits or control if they let Apple dictate the terms of sale. Anyway for everyone who wishes it was cheaper, their costs would most likely be lowest with payments processed through Adobe and downloaded there, seeing as Adobe will be hosting these files anyway.

evilcat

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
A friend of mine just forked out $1000+ for InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. Decided it was time to 'get on the upgrade path' with Adobe: spend now to get upgrade pricing later. He bought late enough he'll be getting CS6 upgrades for free, so he's happy.

I asked him why he didn't go for Creative Cloud, and he said he wanted to 'own' his software and update when it suited him. I get it. In work I use CS5 but at home I have my own, fully legal, copy of CS3. There is nothing new in CS5 I need so I stick with CS3 at home, and most likely will do until a version of OS X comes along that breaks CS3. However, I'm on that upgrade path.

(Let me be clear here and say I'm referring to Design Premium in this post. I don't have any knowledge on the video side of things)

Adobe have a couple of battles on their hands:

1. The Necessity to Upgrade
    Unless you use Photoshop or Illustrator, the two flagship products, or maybe InDesign, you probably don't need a new version except for compatibility with other users. The updates are checklists of features dreamed up by marketing that make no difference to most people day to day. Maybe from CS2 to CS6, you'd see a big difference, but otherwise? Meh.
    For non-print designers, Adobe's software is rapidly becoming replaceable: I'm a web designer and I haven't used Dreamweaver in years. Between Espresso, Coda, TextMate or whatever HTML editor you use, there's not much reason to. I switched to skEdit 3 years ago and haven't looked back; I just completed a 12-month long site build and never dropped into Flash once; Sketch 2 from Bohemian Coding looks to be on the cusp of being a great Fireworks replacement; since I don't particularly use Photoshop, something like Pixelmator might well suffice for me.
    In short, most people don't need Adobe products at every release
  2. Leapfroggers
    Even those who do keep up to date don't buy every version. Most design studios I've worked at leapfrog: CS1, then 3, then 5. They just won't put out $900 per seat every 18 months. So adobe introduced the .5 release: rather than CS4, then CS5 18 months later, they decided to have a .5 release every 12 months, giving 2 years between full versions. Then they broke compatibility to force upgrades: a group of users at my current workplace received InDesign CS5 but six months later, a new batch were added and they received 5.5. Apparently to normal 5 was no longer available. That wouldn't be a problem if InDesign CS5 could receive copy from InCopy CS5.5, but they're incompatible, so everybody with InDesign CS5 now has to be upgraded.

It seems Creative Cloud solves both these problems: at $30 a month, even if you don't need the latest version, why not get it and benefit from things like bug fixes, which Adobe prefers to roll into their version upgrades, rather than fixing the one you paid them for? The same goes for leapfroggers: everybody can be on the latest version at all time so no more incompatibility! Also, Adobe get a guaranteed $600 income per seat, so their financials are more predictable now people aren't leapfrogging or buying when they're forced to!

So we all win, right? Maybe not.

That upgrade path may well be going away. In this article at John Nack's site, he quotes an article on Creative Cloud:

You’re always entitled to the newest version of all the programs, and Adobe says that it’s going to start rolling out features continuously rather than waiting for sweeping upgrades every couple of years.

Sound interesting? There are two possible outcomes here:

1. There will be no upgrades to upgrade to after CS6. Unless you're on Creative Cloud, you are stuck with it as it is right now, bugs and all.
  2. If updates are continuous, maybe they humour you a few years longer by taking, say, the previous 18 months' updates, calling them CS7 and taking $900 off you.

Maybe they'll make CS7, but my guess is we're 2 years away from Creative Cloud being the only choice. Maybe my friend's 'upgrade path' is simply a way for him to 'own' the final, boxed release of the software he needs, and then he'll wind up paying for a subscription anyway.

I guess what I'm saying here is think carefully about Creative Cloud and how you buy into CS6. It may well determine the choices we have available to us in 18 months time.

Me? I'll keep using FW CS3 till Sketch can replace it, and boot up PS CS3 as I need it, maybe even buy Pixelmator since I don't do CMYK. InDesign CS3 will be fine for the odd page layout I do these days. For a second, the low price of Creative Cloud looked really enticing, then I remembered exactly how much of the Creative Suite actually use these days :D

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
The question is will the new C6 products allow users to actually select what gets installed? I recall with Photoshop CS5 that if you selected only the Photoshop core component that it would still install Adobe Air, Bridge and some other items. The icing on the cake was that it would then also install Growl.

This led me to trashing Adobe products completely from my OS X install and instead using it in a VM dedicated for Photoshop/Illustrator related work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.