Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Business Insider reports on a new research note from Macquarie analyst Ben Schacter, who claims that Google is working to bring a version of its Chrome browser to iOS devices. According to the report, Apple "may already be reviewing" the app, which could debut before the end of the quarter.

google_chrome_browser_android.jpg

Google Chrome browser for Android
Google currently splits ad revenue share with Apple for Google searches performed through Safari, a deal that currently sees Google paying Apple roughly $1 billion per year. With a potential Chrome browser for iOS leading to Google keeping all revenue for searches through the browser for itself, Google could see a significant financial benefit if it can achieve a substantial user base on iOS.

The problem for Google is that Apple does not make it convenient for users to take advantage of third-party browsers, with Safari alternatives like Opera and Dolphin representing only tiny fractions of iOS browser share. Systemwide calls for browser actions throughout iOS apps are linked to Safari, meaning that users have to take extra steps to use a different browser, with the inconvenience leading the vast majority of users to simply use Safari for their iOS browsing needs.

Article Link: Google Chrome Browser Coming to iOS?

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
If it's anything like the other apps Google has released on iOS, I'll be avoiding this one.

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
judging by how "well" other Google apps work on the iPhone, I doubt this will be much of a threat.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
So it's all the fun of Safari without Google giving any search revenue to Apple. Neat-o. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
The Google search app already functions a lot like a Chrome browser. I find myself using it a lot for the voice search function and I'd say I use it for 90% of my browsing vs 10% with Safari.

Superken7

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
This would be nice. But I am not sure Google (or anyone else) will be able to set a browser other than Safari as the default browser. iOS is too restrictive to allow third party innovation to thrive.

DCstewieG

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
U.S.A.
With the complaints from Mozilla and Google about not being able to build browsers for Windows 8 RT, Microsoft has been able to defend itself with the fact that iOS is the same way. If this happened that disappears.

Personally I'd like to see this because I use desktop Chrome and they would hopefully sync. And maybe even get extensions! Not going to switch to the IMO inferior Safari just to get bookmark syncing on my iPad.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
If you can't set Chrome as the default integrated browser, what's the point?

Well, I'd look into it to see if it handles certain pages (one forum I go to, for example, loops you from log-in to log-out while on mobile safari, for some reason) than Opera. Or for websites that do not offer a choice of mobile redirect.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
What's the point or advantage to using chrome on an iOS devise?

Browser options won't be important until you can add plugins to the browsers.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I like that tab switching image. Looks a lot better than Safari's.

(Safari's aught to be called what they are: windows, not tabs.)

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Aren't "alternative browsers" on iOS not really alternative browsers? Either they have to do their rendering on a remote computer or just be a wrapper for Safari's internet engine? Would there be any substantial benefit to using chrome here over safari?

Flitzy

Oct 20, 2010
More ways for Google to get their grubby little hands on all your data.

Yeah, I haven't used Chrome yet.. I won't be using this either.

I wish the tech blogs would stop propping them up already.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I love Safari and doubt i will ever use anything else. I have grown really attached to it. Not to mention the syncing with my Apple devices.

Other browses just seem strange.

getburl

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
Extensions

I was telling the guys over at tagalong.io that this might make it so extensions like tagalong.io could make it onto iOS. That would be so cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.