Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
never understood the point of their search app. why would i leave my browser to use another app to search something lol

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I would like to see this come to fruition since I use Chrome on my Mac and Win7 box. Then I could have my settings and such sync'd across everything I use.

ytk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
This is one of the best reasons why jailbreaking is still relevant. Almost all of the functionality I had with a jailbroken 3G has been replicated (or done even better) on iOS 5—except the ability to switch default browsers. iCab is a much nicer browser than Safari, and one of the frustrations with my 4S was Safari's constant intrusion, for no good reason except Apple insists on forcing it on me. As soon as a jailbreak was released for the 4S I was able to dump Safari for good, and that alone is significant enough that I refuse to update my phone until a jailbreak is available.

It really is obnoxious of Apple to insist that you must use their crap browser, whether you want to or not. I'm not a fan of antitrust laws, and I think the lawsuit against Microsoft was ridiculous, but on the other hand what's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? I hope they get the pants sued off them for this nonsense.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Considering that Chrome already uses the WebKit rendering engine, this should be allowed through - Google would just have to use the built-in WebKit rendering engine used by the onboard Safari rather than their own customized WebKit engine like they normally do.

There are plenty of alternative browsers for iOS that do that same thing. (And a few that do offline rendering with a different rendering engine, then send the offline-rendered page, like Opera.)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Word of the day...Brainwash.

If you dont like Google (like a fair majority of Apple users, because they feel violated by ads being personalized) dont use their stuff.

If you do like Google (and couldn't give a flying beep about seeing an advert for your local Apple reseller), go for it and download it.

It really is that simple folks...

----------

I didn't think anyone used Google+

Clearly you were wrong then ;) 15 million views for the week ending May 1st.
http://www.experian.com/hitwise/online-trends-social-media.html

Granted its a pin prick on Facebook, but then, G+ is a lot newer and those stats only represent the US. G+ has been a big hit outside the US.

Do I use G+? Nope. I dont like it. But at least we can get the facts right - G+ is growing at a fair and steady rate.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I love Safari and doubt i will ever use anything else. I have grown really attached to it. Not to mention the syncing with my Apple devices.

Other browses just seem strange.

I could care less about a browser, so I am fine with Safari...I actually used Safari for Windows years ago because I liked it better than IE.
Firefox has never been a fav, except for coding.

but seeing as how apple get s a cut each time Google is used for search on Safari, I might search a bit more.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
If you dont like Google ... dont use their stuff.

I tried that then Google cheated me and didn't take NO for an answer.
Can I feel violated now?

I for one won't be installing their spyware, and I'll be very happy the day Apple gets rid of the last traces of the ad peddler.

About G+ one thing that can skew the stats is that they restrict certain capacities (leaving comments on certain youtube videos) to people having a G+ account, so the amount of people subscribing might go up but that says nothing of the viability of the social network...

How do you know if once in, people look for all their friends?
Do people use it for social interaction in the same way they use Facebook?
How much time do people spend on G+? etc.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
An integrated iOS browser with a decent ad blocker would be nice.

That said, I don't really trust Google to not scrape my web browsing history to sell to the highest bidder...

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Chrome on the desktop = awesome, best browser by far, but it uses SO much ram, I don't think it'd be a good fit for iOS. :/

scotth23

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
I'm not a fan of antitrust laws, and I think the lawsuit against Microsoft was ridiculous, but on the other hand what's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? I hope they get the pants sued off them for this nonsense.

I'm not sure if the same rules apply.

Microsoft was making an OS running on third party hardware.

Apple is selling the hardware and the software. They've been allowed to decide what runs on their hardware and what doesn't.

It seems to me if they could get dinged for not allowing an alternate default browser, their app approval policies would also have to come into question.

If you buy into Apple's philosophy that everything should "just work," then you can accept that they feel they've eliminated possible headaches by allowing people to customize what programs run default tasks.

They are in the business of lowering tech support calls for OS issues and maximizing revenue.

Personally, I find the lack of customization on a stock iPhone frustrating but after being on Android for a few months, I appreciate the simplicity of iOS and the lack of bugs it has in these types of scenarios.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
The only reason for browser-lockdown on iOS is that iOS does not allow third-party apps to interpret executable code (like JavaScript). This is because you could essentially create an AppStore within an AppStore and avoid review through delivery to the browser.

Most alternative browsers either don't support JavaScript, support JavaScript & Flash on the server side and deliver a "view" of the page, or use the iOS Web UI View control that is essentially an embedded version of Safari's engine and written by Apple.

I wonder if Google will use the Chrome browser for iOS to file a lawsuit against Apple for allowing alternative browsers much like Microsoft had to. Certainly Apple does not have a large enough user base in mobile phones to warrant regulation, but a couple more years of tablet dominance and the iPad could be a target for such a lawsuit.

Incidentally, Apple needs better support all around for "open in" type things. For example:

1) Open a URL in an alternative browser
2) Open an address in an alternative mapping app (like Navigon)
3) Open a calendar attachment in an alternative calendar

Gruber recently wrote an article about iOS lacking some of the "Intents" and "Contracts" support found in Android and Windows Phone, respectively. He saw this as the next avenue for Apple to improve iOS -- I've been saying this for quite some time, so naturally I agree. The first time I noticed this was when I could not open an address in Navigon.

andyone

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
More ways for Google to get their grubby little hands on all your data.

Yeah, I haven't used Chrome yet.. I won't be using this either.

Does Safari encrypt all your data before it uploads it to the Apple servers for synchronization? Yeah, didn't think so. Chrome does.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Can I feel violated now?

I for one won't be installing their spyware, and I'll be very happy the day Apple gets rid of the last traces of the ad peddler.

About G+ one thing that can skew the stats is that they restrict certain capacities (leaving comments on certain youtube videos) to people having a G+ account, so the amount of people subscribing might go up but that says nothing of the viability of the social network...

If you dont like Google, blacklist them on your mac. All it takes is one line in your hosts file to block anything from Google.com, it really is as simple as that. I bet you've got no problem using Youtube, despite that also apparently violating your privacy.

What exactly is it you dont like? Seeing custom ads? Because thats all Google is doing here, using your info to tailor ads, thats what makes them money. It's exactly the same as using Genius on iTunes, it uses your habits to work out what to serve up. The same happens with iAds, it notes what kinds of apps you use, and serves relevant ads (or would do if there were any on the iAds network).

Do you seriously think there's some guy sitting at a desk in Google HQ going 'oooh, John smith was looking for a new car'. It really is pathetic. Yes, Google track your history and serve relevant adverts, big deal...the US government does worse. It's not like Google is phone tapping :rolleyes:

People really need to take the tinfoil hats off.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
If Chrome doesn't make its way to iOS I might have to make my way to Android.
Google's web services win out over Apple's consistently; my iPhone's contacts, calendar, and email are all Google hosted, all told, Google's software is more important than Apple's hardware.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
No thanks. Spyware on the desktop is enough. Chrome is a Google trojan horse virus masquerading as a web browser.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Other browsers are annoying, clicking on a link in Mail or another app opens Safari automatically, theres no choice in the matter.

Jasoco

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
I currently use iCab on my iPad for browsing. I'd much rather have Chrome IF:

It has the tab sync feature where I can access all my open tabs on all my computers from my iOS device.

It has limited extension support. I'd really want Xmarks and Pocket support. I use both religiously. Xmarks replaces the built-in bookmarks sync for me so I can sync to any browser and not just Chrome, and Pocket gets so much use from me it's not even funny. iCab lets me save to Pocket as does FlipBoard. It's very convenient when I find a link but don't have time to read it right now.

A sleek enough UI that matches my desktop browser. i.e. tabs at the top, reload button on the left (Not integrated into the address bar) and a unified address bar like it should be.

Side note: I use Opera on my crappy Android phone because it's not lucky enough to run anything higher than 2.1 and will never be able to run even FireFox Mobile let alone the Android version of Chrome and because there's no iCab on Android either.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Can I feel violated now?

Paranoid much? You do realize that Chrome and Safari are both cut from the same cloth: Webkit. And, if you really want to feel safer, use Chromium...which is totally, 100% open source, which Safari and Chrome itself are not.

Then again, the truly paranoid uses Firefox with it's various plug-ins, like NoScript.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
It's funny how much app store restrictions have changed over the years, regarding "duplicating functionality". There are browser apps and email apps all over the app store now.
I thought those restrictions were only about core phone functionality such as phone, and text messaging, and so on?

Flitzy

Oct 20, 2010
Does Safari encrypt all your data before it uploads it to the Apple servers for synchronization? Yeah, didn't think so. Chrome does.

Is Apple a no-good advertising company? No.
Does Apple have a history of selling information to advertisers? No.
Did Apple just consolidate all their services into the worst privacy policy ever? No.

Sorry, Google is evil.. plain and simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.