Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I know this would be a very popular move, but I'm not sure I like it. I really enjoy the current form factor, and being able to reach the full screen with one hand. I used to say this to defend the iPhone's size before these rumors, and I won't change opinion just because Apple seems to be considering it. I'm sure I'm in minority though, and that this may be the logically "correct" move by Apple.

I don't care if it changes or stays the same. My wife HATED (her words) dealing with the larger EVO when she had it. So there is the purse factor to consider on screen size.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I know this would be a very popular move, but I'm not sure I like it. I really enjoy the current form factor, and being able to reach the full screen with one hand.

I own a Galaxy Note and I can reach the full screen with one hand. Since I'm more interested in having a truly mobile tablet that lets me do my ONE daily phone call than in a phone that can only run a tiny, unusable web browser, I very much prefer the Note's form factor over everything else on the market.

For me, the iPhone is too small. But even if there were a 5.3" version of it available, it would still run a restricted, crippled operating system that would always get in my way with its many unnecessary stop signs.

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
YES!!! Please be true!

My iPhone Wish List

The "New iPhone"

4" 300+ppi Retina Screen
Super IPS LCD2
Gorilla Glass 2
4G LTE
A6 Quad Core
1gb RAM
Bigger battery
Better or same battery life as 4S
Slimmer/lighter than iPhone 4S
Minimal bezel
Aluminum or Polycarbonate unibody
New inner earbuds!!!
Even better 8-10mp camera with dual LED flash
Camera burst mode
3mp front camera
iOS6 with live app icons
More widgets in notification center
Settings toggles in notification center
An Android Beam equivalent
New maps app with Siri voice navigation
Illuminated home button for notifications
Multiband World phone
Siri 2.0 with native app integration
FaceTime over LTE
Redesigned keyboard with better shortcuts
Weather in lock screen
More shortcuts than just camera in lock screen
Last but not least, 2 drops of unicorn tears as opposed to the usual 1 to make it extra magical. :)

Last edited:

BiteMyApple

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Forest Hills, NY
4'3" or go home. ;)

I'd love someone to explain to me this sudden quest for bigger devices nowadays, when not so long ago it was all about making them smaller/lighter/slimmer. The bigger in my pocket, the less happy I am, and I think the current iPhone's screen size should remain a standard.

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
Apple Will make a virtual Home button . it as simple as that ..

the extra screen height will be a good place to have the multitasking part

The iPhone wont feel higher then the current modell . because of the removal of the home button and just make the iphone

a giant screen ..

because the problem with other phones was in the bottom 40 .... and the current iphone have its issue with its bottom 10 so going 4 inch and make the screen heigher but keeping the phone size will make the iphone what it was supposed to be from the begining ...

"just a giant screen"

I'm with you on this one. Expand the screen with out expanding the size of the phone.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I'm all for a bigger screen (4-4.3 inches would be perfect IMO), but please, don't just stretch it like in the mockup!

bazinga!!

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2012
Belgium
I hope they make 2 models, one with the current screen and one with a bigger screen. That's a win-win situation.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
this is a good rumour, but this mockup just feels :confused:

Its the bezels.
Why in Gods name are they doing these mockups maintaining the iphones HUUUUGGGEEE bezels ?

If they put a 4 inch screen in there is no way they will maintain the current bezel size. They are way to big as it is.

I think its far more likely they will increase the screen, reduce the bezels and keep the whole thing not much bigger than it is. It won't be edge to edge - because thats impractical - but it will be closer to the edge than current.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
But but but 4" or bigger is just way too big for too many MR forum hands apparently based on so many previous comments in other threads. How will those people possibly be able to work their iPhones?! :rolleyes:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
If they increase the screen size, I hope it is not at the expense of a larger device. The iPhone is already the largest mobile phone I have had in the last decade.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Can't stand large phones. I had a 3.7" Google Nexus One, and that was as large as I would ever want.

Every time I see one of those huge screened samsung monstocities I immediately think, yuck.

They are laughably large, and so ineligant. I understand that there is clearly a market for this screen size, but I for one like my phone to be pocketable, and not look like im holding a dinner tray to my face when making calls.

hurrderrp

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
Apple could have the new iPhone screen be the same resolution (1024x768) as the 1st & 2nd gen iPad's.

At 4" = 320dpi
At 4.3" = 297dpi

I am not sure if apple would be willing to go under 300dpi since I don't think that a larger phone screen would mean people hold it further away from their face. (Since "retina" is calculated by dpi & distance to eyes)

If apple did decide to use the resolution of 1st & 2nd gen iPad's, would this mean that old iPad apps could run on iphone too?

Even though people might hate on the idea, I actually believe that a harmonious system needs "death". In this case any apps which developers do not scale up to the new resolution would continue to be in the app-store for the 'old' iphone users, eventually getting axed in 5 years.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Thank god for that, I hope it is true, I a due my upgrade and was seriously considering the Note, but now I will definitely wait.
Hope we see it next month.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Very happy with the current form factor. I'm in the minority here I know; and i'll probably come around to a 4in display. Just hope it's nothing like what the mockup suggests.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Its the bezels.
Why in Gods name are they doing these mockups maintaining the iphones HUUUUGGGEEE bezels ?

If they put a 4 inch screen in there is no way they will maintain the current bezel size. They are way to big as it is.

I think its far more likely they will increase the screen, reduce the bezels and keep the whole thing not much bigger than it is. It won't be edge to edge - because thats impractical - but it will be closer to the edge than current.

The bezels are thumb size, for a reason. I wonder what that might be...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wish MR and others would quit posting mockups every time we get a rumor. Especially when we have no idea what the new design/form factor will look like.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
I'd love someone to explain to me this sudden quest for bigger devices nowadays, when not so long ago it was all about making them smaller/lighter/slimmer. The bigger in my pocket, the less happy I am, and I think the current iPhone's screen size should remain a standard.

Yeah that would be called progress. Why would any one need to fly when they can take the train? Why would any one need a car when horses have been doing a great job for hundreds of years?

See what I'm getting at there?

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA

Same here...I'm glad I have the 4s and still have a lot of mileage left...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.