Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
I don't notice any difference in the tray but the old one held my iPad with no problems & the new one seems to as well.

The test is trying the iPad 2 and the new iPad each in both the "not working" case and the new one you just got in the mail.

I took my "new iPad" Versavu to work where a friend had an iPad 2 and his iPad 2 fit much better into the case than my new iPad did. Thus I figure the first batch of VersaVu for the new iPad had trays with the same specs as the iPad 2.

Mike

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
This is good news.
Important question....Did you receive your case via USPS, UPS, or FedEX?

FedEx & I did not receive anything from Targus that it was shipping

The test is trying the iPad 2 and the new iPad each in both the "not working" case and the new one you just got in the mail.

I took my "new iPad" Versavu to work where a friend had an iPad 2 and his iPad 2 fit much better into the case than my new iPad did. Thus I figure the first batch of VersaVu for the new iPad had trays with the same specs as the iPad 2.

Mike

I used the old case for the entire time that I've had the new iPad (March 17th) & did not have any issues with it at all as far as it holding the iPad in place. The new case looks to maybe be better formed to the new iPad but since I had no problems with the old case, I don't see any improvement.

The new case's packaging said for the iPad 3 -- it did not mention any other iPad.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
I got my replacement today via FedEx.

The on/off does work now, but with the cover being somewhat sloppy with angularly vertical movement it can turn on and off very easily while still closed. With the built-in strap in use that does not happen.

Also, they CLEARLY have a new tray in this that is designed to fit the 3rd Generation being a smidge thicker than the 2nd gen. So rest assured the new iPad fits into this replacement much better than it did the first run that we all waited on replacements for.

One thing though. I did return my old case long ago as I had no use for two cases once this one arrived, so I no longer have the first one to compare to. I seem to recall the outer material of the returned (non working) case being a bit more padded to the point you could press in and it would leave a fingertip impression for a short spell. It's probably just my memory fading. This one, while padded, is pretty solid and tight and the cover does not impress-in at all when you press on it. Is this just me and a bad memory, or has the cover material/padding changed?

Anyway, I'm happy with it. It works and the iPad fits much better.

Mike

Last edited:

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Good news! I hope mine is waiting for me when I get home from work.

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
same here, got mine. no doubt, they changed the tray. fits perfectly now. magnets work. very nice case.. not as thin as my switcheasy canvas, but having the pre-defined slots will prevent slippage and having the portrait in stand mode is sweet.

took longer than i'd wanted, but you gotta give credit to targus for actually doing it right and basically giving customers a FREE case (i returned my original to Best Buy long ago). case is definitely recommended.

tippy9710

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2012
Henrico, va
I received my replacement Targus Versavu on Monday May 7th via FEDEX. It works perfectly. I called Targus customer support on Friday, May 4th and they said expect delivery by the end of May and there would be no advanced email notifications. Go figure. :)

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
Just bought one at Staples and it still must be the old model as it does not work. I have tried to contact Targus, but cannot as it is the weekend. Hope this gets straightened out as I like this case.

Have a great day,
HiddenPuppy

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Just bought one at Staples and it still must be the old model as it does not work. I have tried to contact Targus, but cannot as it is the weekend. Hope this gets straightened out as I like this case.

Have a great day,
HiddenPuppy

just return it to Staples and order direct from Targus. that will ensure you get one of the newer ones. Aside from the magnet issue, the old ones do not fit properly -- they are designed for the iPad 2.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
just return it to Staples and order direct from Targus. that will ensure you get one of the newer ones. Aside from the magnet issue, the old ones do not fit properly -- they are designed for the iPad 2.

Thanks, good idea, but I do not want to leave the iPad unprotected and the shipping with Targus right now is not quick, and I only have 10 days to do the return with Staples as they now only allow 14 days. Seem to be caught between a rock and hard place. :confused:

Have a good day,
HiddenPuppy

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
2 versions of the Versavu?

I ordered the Versavu from Amazon, hoping that the ones for sale would be the correct ones. It is not. I contacted Targus and this is the reply I got:

"We do have 2 versions of the Versavu cases for the 3rd generation iPad are available. 1 version has the on/off feature and 1 version does not have the on/off feature. You would need to read the packaging if purchasing in the store or online description if purchasing online to make to get the version you would like. If the feature is listed that means the case will have the on/off feature. I do apologize, Amazon has been selling the version of the case without the on/off feature. If this is a feature you would like I would recommend contacting Amazon and requesting and exchange or a refund for the case."

So I have to live with it or pay to ship it back and then wait? If they are selling 2 versions I do not see it listed anywhere including their own web site.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011

Got word the other day that they are on backorder and it will be 6 to 8 weeks before I get mine, but it is in the works.

Have a nice day,
HiddenPuppy

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
Got word the other day that they are on backorder and it will be 6 to 8 weeks before I get mine, but it is in the works.

Have a nice day,
HiddenPuppy

In spite of the fact that they said 6-8 weeks, I got it today (1 week after they confirmed the replacement) and it is working great!!!

HiddenPuppy

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.