Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Why doesn't Apple just make two sizes or even three different sized phones. Leave the current 3.5" for the ladies and make a larger 4.8" for the guys and maybe have an in-between size too. Whats the problem with Apple giving people a little choice, their mac laptops come in different sizes and so why not their phones?

Why would you want a phone the size of a tablet?

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Looks like Renders to me personally. I really hope not because this would be exciting, but something tells me that Apple would eliminate the dead space on the phone first. Either way, let the leaking of parts begin :)

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
for the front, someone either went to a lot of trouble to take those photos in such perfect lighting and have eveything at a macro scale be so sharp or else they're rendered images to show what the finished part would look like

I'd lean towards the latter

the tiny parts photos are a tossup. the lighting reflection looks decent for taking the photo they got.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I seriously wish Steve Jobs was still around. He would have never let such a disgusting thing happen.

Dubthedankest

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2010
Can we get some info on the overall footprint of the panel itself, not just the display dimensions? Would the size of the panel point to the phone itself growing in size or just the display taking up more surface area on the existing 4/4S dimensions?

Also, would the availability of this panel mean that the device is in mass-production already and well beyond the EVT stage mentioned earlier today? (I realize this is an iPod Touch panel and not an iPhone panel)

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Bah. I hate how huge it is. Maybe due to the thinness of the iPod? Hopefully the iPhone will be smaller even if carrying that big a screen.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
That would make screen ratio almost exactly 2:1. ~1280x640. With a 3.86" tall screen. But as absynth said, not all open space will be usable screen.

Premonition

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
I seriously wish Steve Jobs was still around. He would have never let such a disgusting thing happen.

Like someone told someone who said the same thing you said on another forum, steve job is part of the iphone 5 design, or did you forget?

dponte

macrumors member
May 21, 2012
Why?

(I posted this on a previous thread, and got one snarky response. However, since I have seen a few replies on this thread with respect to aspect ratio and the idea of several models/sizes, I am reposting this).

Perhaps, some of these questions have already been answered before. FYI, I have a 3GS and have been waiting for a larger screen to debut on the iPhone (since I really don't want to go to Android and live separate mobile lives)...but:

1 - Why is it so difficult for Apple to design/accept a larger screen size for the iPhone? We have an iPad, with a different resolution that conforms to the 'amazing, mystical' retina requirements (e.g. ppi, etc). Then, there are the rumors of the iPad 7". So, hey, we can go 7"!

Also, why would a 'taller' iPhone settle this argument? Wouldn't that create totally non-proportional resolutions, and make things worse for app developers, etc.?

2- Maybe this is a simpler bullet, but Angry Birds (for example) is on every fricking smartphone...of every screen resolution, ppi, display size, etc...in the Android world, for instance. It's on iPad 10" and will be on iPad 7"...so...what is the issue? What am I missing? (Seriously, I plead ignorance on this; so can anyone explain it, in brief?).

3 - Yes, I have heard the 'I don't care' remark about the screen size (perhaps they use their iPads more for 'larger screen' tasks and therefore don't care?). Fine...make a SMALLER phone for them (some even say that! ) and make a second iPhone, like the rumored iPad 7" as the alternative to the 10"...there IS a market for that, and they need to use it. Every phone coming out is larger for a reason. The market demands it.

Samsung has how many models? LG? So, come out with an iPhone that is 4.5"+ and keep the damn 3.5" for those that don't care or want it small.

I have seen the light with the Samsung Note. (5.3" screen size)..it's pretty much the largest that I could use as a phone. Great...so that has been determined, the race is over for 'who can make the largest thing they call a phone'. In fact, it's a little too large (but, good for NBA players!)...so i'd say 4.5-4.8" is optimal, and I ~might~ try a 5" if it was compact (no bezel, thin).

4" screen is not enough...'tall' proportion is not acceptable (and again, how is it helpful to proportionality/aspect ratio?). If Apple does this, it will be 5+ years before they change it again...and by the end of this year, myself and others will be making a big choice on whether to move to android -phone-wise.

Apple...4.5"+ or bust! The market is demanding it!

bobbytallant

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
My sources tell me those are in fact the finished articles. Yes, the new iphones will have transparent 4.1" displays and will be extremely thin as pictured.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
They look computer generated to me. Who takes an angle photo? How about putting another object in the scene? Fake!

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I get the feeling maybe Apple is letting more controlled leaks out to let us get used to the size. Playing with my own phone, if I rest it on my fingers with the edge against my palm, my thumb can extend further up, but not really any further sideways, so I see how it could work.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
In a way, a June/July launch of a 4 inch iPod Touch makes sense. Devs will have a new SDK, presumably just a modified iOS 5, which will allow them to make Apps for 16:9 ratio. This means by the time a potential 4 inch iPhone comes out, almost all apps will be updated for the new resolution & aspect ratio, meaning no problems with optimized Apps when the new iPhone launches. Just my opinion. Seems unlikely though.

Dades

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
That long phone mockup just looks dorky and severely lacking in imagination.

I suspect Apple are looking at these mockups and alternately laughing and cringing.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
If the new iPod touch / iPhone are 16:9, wouldn't it make more sense for them to be 1280x720 instead of 1136x640?

Apps can't be scaled to 1136x640 anyway.

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
I had hoped for a complete redesign to be honest. At least remove the frame/bezel.

rc10de

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
shut-up-and-take-my-money-1f46.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.