Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dponte

macrumors member
May 21, 2012
the iphone has been the most popular selling phone probably since its first gen release, it has the biggest and most lucrative app store, so consumers are apparently comfortable with the iphone screen size.

I agree that the iPhone was revolutionary and has a great number of sales to-date. AppStore...great. However, it has given up some of the smartphone market share in recent times.

What you say doesn't really have anything to do -logically or otherwise- with consumers comfort with the 'iPhone screen size'.

Large screen sizes have not really been a factor until now. Android's app market is doing well, and it's OS has improved quite a bit...now, add larger screens/multiple phone choices.

lets not get ahead of ourselves and act like the iphone screen needs a telescope to navigate...

the difference between apple and android screen size does not compromise the functionality of apple apps in the least bit IMHO... its always going to be a talking point b/c "bigger is better"... but sometimes performance, ease of use, efficiency, quality software development can trump a bigger screen..

I don't think myself and other folks are getting ahead of ourselves here. The first thing I did when I bought my first smartphone (a 3GS) was to find a good full-screen browser...so, I went with Perfect Browser. Why? because 3.5" screen with Safari's borders was not acceptable or EFFICIENT to browse and functionally deal with websites (I don't always want to deal with mobile layouts, and sometimes they can be quite limiting.)

That is but ONE example. Google Maps would be better and more viewable without their bar/borders as well, but hey...a larger screen would make that a moot point.

Typing...hard to see what I am responding to since the keyboard takes up the majority of the screen...larger screen would help. Videos...etc etc etc...

i could understand if the screen difference were that of the blackberry playbook vs the ipad, but the screen difference in phones is almost irrelevant.. unless you like the appearance of holding and looking at something bigger

How is it 'almost irrelevant'? And, again, the iPhone dimensions do not need to be much bigger for this to happen. If they are, it's not the end of days, it's not like we are pushing for the Galaxy Note ;)

powerbookduo

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
So what if Apple did this:

I calculated that the screen right now is about 7.62 cm high. Per cm of screen, there are about 126 vertical pixels. If Apple was going to add 176 pixels and keep the same pixel density, they would need to add about 1.4 cm in height to the display. Instead of elongating the phone, what if Apple simply reduced the black bars at the top and bottom by 0.7 cm. The phone would keep its size down while offering a larger screen.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Got any proof of this then? I mean if he made soooo many mistakes as you state, their must be documented evidence no?

Mate, it's all over the place. Start by reading the Isaacson biography. If you can't afford that, try Google. I'm not here to spoon-feed you information about the man you seem to idolise but can't be bothered to research for yourself, but off the top of my head, here are two examples:

• Steve wanted to call the original iMac the 'MacMan' (a play on the old game title 'Pac-Man'), but was eventually talked out of it.
  • When the iPod was first released it was only compatible with Macs, and Steve wanted to keep it that way. Apparently he was completely outvoted by the rest of the team who wanted to make it compatible with Windows PCs, and they were persistent enough that Steve eventually stormed off and told them they could do whatever they darn well wanted. (This is the very polite version of the story, with expletives and foul-mouthed name calling removed.)

That's only two examples. There are others if you do a little reading. But these two are not inconsequential examples. Think about it… These both represent pivotal turning points for Apple. The first iMac marked the beginning of Apple's revived identity and without it, Apple would almost certainly not have survived long enough to see products like the iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc. 'So what' you say? What's in a name? Think about how synonymous the 'i' branding has become for Apple. It's been a staple of every subsequent hardware release that has taken Apple from near bankruptcy to one of the most highly valued companies in the world. We can never know what percentage of this success can be attributed to marketing, and the 'i' branding, but it's not inconsequential.

The second is a big one. The iPod is really what started to turn Apple around, and it NEVER would have come to dominate the market like it did if it had remained a Mac-only product as Steve Jobs insisted it should be. This was a huge mistake on his part, and only goes to show that the man was not infallible. He was a brilliant man, yes—I am not arguing that he wasn't—but HE WAS HUMAN. HE MADE MISTAKES.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
My Thought!

The more I think about it the more I think that this is the correct path; the correct path in the sense that a taller screen is the right decision over bigger screen. And this is the path that Apple should have gone in the beginning when they introduced iPhone.

In my opinion I believe Apple is trying to solve some short comings in the current screen size that has been selected with regards to advertisement and gaming. The current screen size is just perfect for a phone that needs to be sold locally and internationally. Changing the screen size is just going to alienate Asian countries where they like smaller phones.

When I first gut my iPhone and started to install some free ad supported apps, I said to myself “Man, that ad takes up too much space” and thought to myself if the screen was taller then I wouldn’t mind the Ad.

Then I started to play some games where the controls were on the left and right corners of the screen. This control layout didn’t leave much room to the game animation.

So, I believe the current screen size was never designed for Advertisements and Gaming. It was really designed for business paid apps and Ads that disappear.
I believe they are changing the screen size to make it taller not because of the competition or the fans are asking for it. I believe they are changing it to
1. Allow for better advertisements (with iAd it will use the extra space for new and old apps instead of blocking portions of the app)
2. More screen rows to display information for the App.
3. More space for gaming controls so that you have a better visual area of the game screen instead of your fingers getting in the way.

Making the screen bigger with the same resolution does not address the current problems with ads and gaming controls and possibility of alienating Asian countries, so that’s why Apple will never make a bigger phone. Instead a taller phone is the only solution that addresses the current problems and extracts more customers.

So, I welcome this taller screen change while all others hate it. I think its the right decision if its true and its the only choice that makes sense.

*Calypso*

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Germany
I believe they are changing the screen size to make it taller not because of the competition or the fans are asking for it. I believe they are changing it to
1. Allow for better advertisements (with iAd it will use the extra space for new and old apps instead of blocking portions of the app)
2. More screen rows to display information for the App.
3. More space for gaming controls so that you have a better visual area of the game screen instead of your fingers getting in the way.

I think it would become quite a marketing disaster if Apple introduced a 4" screen on the new iPhone and this extra space is used for permanent ads ins most apps. It's a general problem that iOS apps are often infested with ads, while their Android counterparts stay add free, but paying extra money for a bigger iPhone just to find out that the 4" screen is abused for more annoying iAd-crap would be just a joke.

In my opinion, the new iPhone should either incorporate a taller 4" screen whithout making the phone bigger (but hopefully thinner), or have a 4,5" screen with 1280x960, allowing easy scaling of existing apps and being "Retina" @ 356 ppi.

Last edited:

*Calypso*

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Germany
hope its getting bigger and why is everyone so worried about the devs, isnt that what they get paid for?

There are still tons of apps out there that aren't even Retina, not to mention iPad-compatibile. So yeah, one should be worried. It's not really the devs but the lazy companies that don't want to spend any money on app updates. That is why so far Apple always doubled the display resolution to allow easy scaling of old apps. Why shouldn't this be an option this time? Just take the highest ppi possible in mass production and you got your screen size @ 1280x960. I trust Apple with designing 4,2-4,5" phones that still look awesome and anything but "too big".

Last edited:

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
Not sure if these have been posted yet, but these are some sexy mock-ups:

iPhone-5-Concept1.jpg

iH1.jpg

That'd be way more compelling to buy than just a taller iPhone.

macandiPhone

macrumors member
May 25, 2012
The 3.95 inch looks adorable!!

The display is really good but how much of it is true is still to be seen. And what about the liquid metal body...:confused:

Rumours will be rumours!!!:)

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
So uhh basically I should wait till the end of the year to get a new iPod touch right?? "iPod touch 5g imminent" in other words?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.