Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 23, 2012, 08:29 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Design Chief Jonathan Ive Knighted in Buckingham Palace, Says 'Best Work' is Underway Now

BBC reports that Apple's design chief Jonathan Ive was knighted today in Buckingham Palace, with Princess Anne performing the honors. Ive's knighthood was announced in December, but the official ceremony was not held until today.

Ive's knighthood was accompanied by a rare extensive profile and interview with The Telegraph in which he shares details on his background and philosophy.
Quote:
"All I've ever wanted to do is design and make; it's what I love doing. It's great if you can find what you love to do. Finding it is one thing but then to be able to practise that and be preoccupied with that is another," he says. "I'm very aware of an incredible tradition in the UK of designing and making, and so to be recognised in this way is really wonderful."
The humble Ive, who notably almost always uses "we" rather than "I" in discussion of Apple's design process, emphasizing the team aspect of the industrial design division's work, also discusses the care that Apple takes in designing every single aspect of each product.
Quote:
"We're keenly aware that when we develop and make something and bring it to market that it really does speak to a set of values. And what preoccupies us is that sense of care, and what our products will not speak to is a schedule, what our products will not speak to is trying to respond to some corporate or competitive agenda. We're very genuinely designing the best products that we can for people."
Asked which of his designs is most important to him and for which he would like to be remembered most, Ive notes that his team's current projects are "the most important and the best work we've done" but that he of course can't disclose details on that work.

Article Link: Apple Design Chief Jonathan Ive Knighted in Buckingham Palace, Says 'Best Work' is Underway Now
MacRumors is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 08:30 AM   #2
ristlin

Is it just me or does he look like the chubby boy from Willy Wonka in that picture? An older version...
ristlin is offline   -28 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 08:30 AM   #3
needfx
macrumors 68020

Yes my Liege
Old May 23, 2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Frosticus
macrumors 6502a

Already here... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14904299

Congrats to Jony.

Make that Sir Jony.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:33 AM   #5
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ristlin View Post
Is it just me or does he look like the chubby boy from Willy Wonka in that picture? An older version...
At first I thought you were crazy, but the comparison is uncanny!

Anyways, Congrats to Johnny. Well Deserved.
Attached Images

Old May 23, 2012, 08:34 AM   #6
tigres
macrumors 68040

I find this to be the most interesting quote of the article.

From The Telegraph
"Ive has achieved an awful lot and still has a long career ahead of him. Even so, a knighthood is a good time to take stock. If he was to be remembered for just one of his Apple designs, I ask, which one would he pick?

There is the long pause. Its a really tough one. A lot does seem to come back to the fact that what were working on now feels like the most important and the best work weve done, and so it would be what were working on right now, which of course I cant tell you about.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:34 AM   #7
colmaclean
macrumors 68000

Well played, Sir!
colmaclean is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Artey
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post

From The Telegraph
"Ive has achieved an awful lot and still has a long career ahead of him. Even so, a knighthood is a good time to take stock. If he was to be remembered for just one of his Apple designs, I ask, which one would he pick?

There is the long pause. Its a really tough one. A lot does seem to come back to the fact that what were working on now feels like the most important and the best work weve done, and so it would be what were working on right now, which of course I cant tell you about.
Yes that has me very excited too! I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.
Artey is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Sasoon
macrumors newbie

After Steve, he is the most important person for Apple success
Sasoon is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 08:36 AM   #10
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
It's just you.
QCassidy352 is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Sky Blue

I thought the Queen knighted people?
Sky Blue is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 08:38 AM   #12
Coastercub
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Willy Wonka is looking a little rough now
Old May 23, 2012, 08:38 AM   #13
codo
macrumors 6502

Fantastic, truly well deserved! Why was it Anne rather than the Queen?!
Old May 23, 2012, 08:40 AM   #14
parish
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
I thought the Queen knighted people?
She does, but she's currently camped outside the Covent Garden Apple Store waiting for the new MBPs to be released
Old May 23, 2012, 08:41 AM   #15
Adidas Addict
macrumors 65816

I think it's a good sign that Jonny has put on a few pounds, he's obviously content in life and looks very happy.

Pure 'Apple' dropping in hype inducing answers to questions
Old May 23, 2012, 08:42 AM   #16
Young Turk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artey View Post
Yes that has me very excited too! I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.
Has to be the iTV.
iPad Air 16gb White/Silver
Young Turk is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 08:43 AM   #17
kriskay
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish View Post
She does, but she's currently camped outside the Covent Garden Apple Store waiting for the new MBPs to be released
That made me geniune belly laugh!!!

kriskay is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 08:43 AM   #18
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
Total Respect Sir Jony, nothing like designs you make been enjoyed by millions of people and still has great value
Old May 23, 2012, 08:46 AM   #19
iEnvy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Ive notes that his team's "current projects are the most important and the best work we've done" but that he of course can't disclose details on that work.
Doesn't that get you excited?
Old May 23, 2012, 08:51 AM   #20
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 08:56 AM   #21
Snowshiro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by codo View Post
Fantastic, truly well deserved! Why was it Anne rather than the Queen?!
There are literally hundreds of honors distributed each year. Some are done by the Queen, but Charles and Anne have both stood in for her on numerous occasions.

Overseas honors can also be presented by the British ambassador to that country under authority from her majesty. The Fonz (Henry Winkler) got his recently that way.
Snowshiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 08:58 AM   #22
Winter Charm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artey View Post
Didn't Tim Cook mention that 2012 was going to be a big year? (can someone verify?)

I'm so excited
Old May 23, 2012, 09:02 AM   #23
iScott428
macrumors regular

Somewhere Apple's Public Relations and marketing VP's are smiling foolishly right now.

Love the Doesn't the Queen Knight him comment too!!

2.2 GHz MPB, 2GB, 120 GB HD;2.4 Mac Mini 8gb 320HD Iphone 8gb> W 3GS 32gb> 4s 64gb W; 32GB Ipad Wifi> 64gb iPad 2 wifi+3G; 16GB Ipod Nano 6G; ATV2; Airport Extreme & Express;Apple Keyboard on Work PC.
iScott428 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 09:03 AM   #24
jonnyb
macrumors 6502a

From the article:

"Just one person looks twice at Jonathan Ive as we walk through the Apple store in London's Covent Garden and that's a member of staff. The customers are oblivious to the presence of the man responsible for the design of the computers, iPads, iPhones and iPods that they are admiring, tapping and caressing throughout the shop."

If I'd been there my eyes would have popped out to see Jonathan Ive so far from 'home'. I'd have probably embarrassed myself by rushing over to shake his hand and mumble some awkward words of appreciation.
jonnyb is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 09:07 AM   #25
Winni
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post

From The Telegraph

Creative persons will ALWAYS say that what they're working on right at that moment is the best work they've ever done.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinjin201 View Post
Didn't Tim Cook mention that 2012 was going to be a big year?
Did any CEO of any company ever say that the current year was not going to be a big year for the company?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosticus View Post
Congrats to Jony.
This. He's doing awesome work and deserves all the credit for it - including this well earned knighthood.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion