Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Palo Alto Online has unearthed plans for a new glass-enclosed retail store going in near the current Stanford mini-store at the Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto, CA.

The store will have three floor-to-ceiling glass walls enclosing the front of the store with a visually free-floating white roof overhead. This is a similar design to the new store being built in Portland, OR, as well as a new store in Aix-en-Provence, France. What makes this store unique, however, is the interior.

stanfordapplestore.jpg

In the middle of the store, it appears that Apple's architects have placed a stone wall that separates the store into two distinct areas. A front area enclosed by glass walls, and a rear space that will include the standard Apple Retail Store product tables and counters.

From the Palo Alto Online:
One seasoned industry observer who had viewed the early drawings called the building design exquisite. "It makes an elegant and dramatic statement. It is destined to become Apple's flagship store," he said. The structure features a tall glass cube with an overhang that extends well beyond the building. "It makes the space between the outside and the inside almost indistinguishable," the source said, adding that it will bear some similarity to New York's Apple Store Fifth Avenue, which also has a distinctive glass cube as an entrance.
The new store replaces the Rugby Ralph Lauren and Williams Sonoma Home stores that were previously in the space. IFOAppleStore notes the store, designed by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, is expected to open by the end of the year. The existing Stanford mini-store will be shuttered once the new location opens.

Article Link: Planning Board Rendering Unveils New Glass-Enclosed Apple Store for Stanford

BKF

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Very nice, but I hope they're not going to need to be picking bird carcasses off the walkway in front of this every day.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Just don't install one in Montréal these days....

(Massive protests, rallies and sometimes riots due to a student strike)

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
This is like a smack in the face to that poor old lady that ran into the apple store glass door a few weeks back! :mad:

Renzatic

Suspended
What is the point of the front area if there are no tables or displays in it? What will they use it for?

It'll be used as common grounds for futurists in the area to come together and have earnest discussions over the implications of the technological singularity.

...needs more lens flare.

edit: "I have argued that we cannot prevent the Singularity, that its coming is an inevitable consequence of the humans' natural competitiveness and the possibilities inherent in technology. And with that said, sirs, I take my leave".

Bonk.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I feel sorry for any birds around there :p

EDIT: of course two others beat me to that little joke. Well played :)

I'd hate to be the window washer.

InvalidUserID

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
This is my Apple Store lol. Rockaway, NJ.
View attachment 340513

That is pretty much how the current Stanford Mall store looks right now, just add in a lot of people.

I live a few minutes away from the mall and shop there often and I will say that I avoid this Apple store just because it is so packed. It's so packed that Apple holds some of their "classes" outside of the store on the tables/mall benches.

I think another reason for the redesign is the new HUGE Microsoft store that is a few doors down. Funny, they just put in a Microsoft store at Valley Faire mall as well, almost directly across from the Apple Store there. They just need one in downtown Palo Alto now to complete the competition.

earl310

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
Great way to save on the light bill, with a all glass store front they will be able to use all natural light source, until the sun goes down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.