Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
"It makes the space between the outside and the inside almost indistinguishable,"

While beautiful to look at, if it's that indistinguishable we can expect to see plenty more people walking into the glass then! Apple needs to invent force fields. :)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
a definite upgrade over the tiny one in the mall. great news

That's not Stanford. That's the Stanford Mall.

That is pretty much how the current Stanford Mall store looks right now, just add in a lot of people.

Yeah, I've been to the Stanford Mall Apple Store.

Stanford University owns the land the Mall/Shopping Center is on. I'm pretty sure there is a long term lease the Mall building owners have to pay. Stanford doesn't own the Mall though. If the owners wanted to pick it up and put it on rollers and roll it away, they could....

It probably won't be the safest building in the Mall if the "big one" lets go locally but it probably won't fail badly for most minor to mid-range events.

Just for the record, it is the "Stanford Shopping Center", not the "Stanford Mall".

Attachments

• Stanford.jpg
    Stanford.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 42

CalCanuck

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
Silicon Valley
All that aside..... this does make much more sense than the rumor several months (or over a year?) back about Apple building a new large, glass mega store in Palo Alto. Back then it sounded like the original Palo Alto store was moving to somewhere else downtown P.A. in a bigger building. This makes more sense. Replace the micro-mini mall store with a large store. On most days, there will be much easier parking here than in trying to draw hordes more cars into downtown P.A.

The downtown P.A. (old music shop ) store can now be the "mini store" for that area. :)

They are building a new one downtown as well where the Z Gallerie used to be which was I'm surprised by this new one at the mall. Guess they have money to burn/build.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Awesome, more lawsuits coming from people with vision impairments...

Or perhaps a frosted layer stripe across that runs into an Apple logo will eleviate that problem.

Then again if you get to close perhaps they can have a Naked Gun fence defense against graffiti approach by blasting you with high pressure hair to let you know you're too damn close.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
yes, high pressure hair !!

Or perhaps a frosted layer stripe across that runs into an Apple logo will eleviate that problem.

Then again if you get to close perhaps they can have a Naked Gun fence defense against graffiti approach by blasting you with high pressure hair to let you know you're too damn close.

]
big_hair.jpg

mond

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
great, more crap for birds to fly into.

it would be nice if apple concentrated more on making their computers affordable to grow market share, instead of making their stores pretty.

sometimes i get the feeling apple employs more interior decorators & architects than it does computer engineers.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
it would be nice if apple concentrated more on making their computers affordable to grow market share,

They already did. The sales of iPads per quarter are greater than the total yearly Mac sales of two years ago. In 2012 Apple probbaly will sell at least 3.5 times as many iPads ( computers ) as they do Macs ( computers ).

sometimes i get the feeling apple employs more interior decorators & architects than it does computer engineers.

They don't. Most of the decorators and architects are contractors, not employees. If you mean indirect employment then yeah. There are also more retail sales employees than engineers. And far more factory workers than engineers. The number of stores (and hence architects and designers ) is coupled to the number of customers. Not the number of devices that need to be designed.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
They are building a new one downtown as well where the Z Gallerie used to be

I had missed those updates. Thanks, I looked up the renderings for that one.

Heavy plate glass suspend over your head. That one I wouldn't want to be in during the next "big one". Also at nighttime that will be interesting when a car with high intensity xeon headlight beams is pointing directly into the store.

which was I'm surprised by this new one at the mall. Guess they have money to burn/build.

As long as there is a relatively steady stream of IPO/"liquidity event" lotto winners in the area it won't matter as much because there will be lots of customers with money to burn. So the stores can possibly do that much revenue in that dense a space.

The problem will come when the local market saturates. Similar to how Starbucks could open too many stores in an area and it would take a couple of years to bite them in the butt.

Given Steve Jobs used to live locally it isn't too surprising. Both of these were probably green-lighted before he stepped down from running Apple.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Wow apple are,making a glass store? Who d have thunk it...

----------

Where exactly is the innovative disruption? I keep seeing pretty much the same store repeated to boredom.

And you might see Microsoft (and other retailers) copying the all-glass look in the near future.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Earthquakes in CA is an urban legend. Seriously. I've lived in CA all 25 years of my life and I've never felt a real earthquake in my life. I napped through the Loma Prieta (1989). The only earthquake I've felt is at the Tech Museum. :p

Famous Last Words... been to the USGS site lately? :eek:

----------

Wow apple are,making a glass store? Who d have thunk it...
----------

Where exactly is the innovative disruption? I keep seeing pretty much the same store repeated to boredom.
Precisely!

While the stores are very nice looking they are not exactly works of art, or architectural genius.

Those who think differently haven't had the pleasure of traveling the globe to see the true stunning beauty of buildings built by the true masters of design. Some so old it's simply awe inspiring.

mond

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
They already did. The sales of iPads per quarter are greater than the total yearly Mac sales of two years ago. In 2012 Apple probbaly will sell at least 3.5 times as many iPads ( computers ) as they do Macs ( computers ).

They don't. Most of the decorators and architects are contractors, not employees. If you mean indirect employment then yeah. There are also more retail sales employees than engineers. And far more factory workers than engineers. The number of stores (and hence architects and designers ) is coupled to the number of customers. Not the number of devices that need to be designed.

an iPad is a computer like my old casio calculator watch was a computer. it's not a computer, it's a tablet & my old watch was a watch.

& the bit about interior decorators was a joke, not literal. ;)

If they're smart, they'll use this glass for our friendly birds. :)

hopefully they do. good idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.