Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
http://modmyi.com/content/7587-new-jailbreak-tweak-allows-window-management-ipad.html

quasar1.png

Quasar is pretty amazing and came totally out of nowhere. I have it installed and it's like a different device. All windows can be resized, moved, and rotated by portrait or landscape. All windows run live, not paused just because you're active in another.

$10 in Cydia

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Stay on topic and stop the arguing/bickering and insults.

Junkdumpster

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
I've been running this app for a little bit and love it. I'm wondering if anyone has had problems running it while using Dreamboard themes.

I tried (unsuccessfully) to use it with one theme, and wrote it off as possibly being a problem with the specific theme's layout. However, it doesn't seem to run on any theme I've installed. This also makes it impossible to access any apps while using any theme but the default iOS theme unless I first turn off Quasar.

Anyone know what might prevent it from working, and if so, does anyone know of any ways of tweaking themes so that it might solve the problem?

lepeos

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2012
Using this with GBC.emu. Finally able to read FAQ's whilst playing along with some classic games, pretty awesome

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
My iPad keeps freezing up now, I tihnk it is Quasar causing it, I disabled it.
Too bad, nice app. I also loaded swipeselect, very nice too.
Will have to keep testing to see what is causing the freezing.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Now that my iPad 3 is finally jailbroken I got this.

Seems great to me, loaded up Netflix in a horizontal window and safari in a vertical window and there we go the multi-tasking I've been wanting for a year. Its up to version 1.04 so presumably the initial UI problems I heard of are gone, didnt notice any.

If it does freeze the iPad 1/2, hopefully the 3's increased ram will help it. Either way Im probably just going to leave it disabled for general use and enable it when I actually need it.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
just tried it on my new ipad, didnt really care for it :/ looked cool on the video, but seemed a bit pointless for me personally.

ammarr

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Its buggy, but still worth the $10 IMO. Very useful when you want to run something in the background (say a flash stream using iswifter or skyfire). Can also be useful to have skype/IM and safari running side by side. Overall, a very useful purchase!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Stay on topic and stop the arguing/bickering and insults.

Amen. It's a sad reflection when we can't even have a civil discussion online.

PS I wish you guys would get rid of the voting system. All it does is inflame others. Arn and I talked about it a while back, he was considering just allowing positive votes and not negative. That would be much better. :)

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Amen. It's a sad reflection when we can't even have a civil discussion online.

PS I wish you guys would get rid of the voting system. All it does is inflame others. Arn and I talked about it a while back, he was considering just allowing positive votes and not negative. That would be much better. :)

I like it, it makes it different from other forums, and I like to know whether or not people agree with me.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Doesn't work iPad 3 :( but I read on the devs twitter he's working on it.

? I'm on the 3 and its worked fine. Crashed once, but I've used it for at least a hour so one crash is no big deal.

As to the guy who called it pointless, if you are trying to use two apps that require active input then yeah it mostly is. But playing a video while web browsing is pretty cool to me.. been trying it with netflix and twitch. Should also be handy when you want to reference something from one app while inputting into another. Same as with a PC, heh...

There are 2 updates I'd love to it: default to normal behavior (launch windows maxmized), and have some activator style button combo that launches it into the windowed mode. As of now its annoying to have to maximize things all the time if you have no intention of multitasking, thus why I'd default it to disabled and just use it as needed. Second would be the ability to pin one app on top, so I could use one app full screen with another stuck on top in the corner traditional PIP style. Would just allow to use full screen real estate and most apps have a corner of the screen you don't really have to have.

Since its still a pretty new tweak maybe it will see something like those.

Last edited:

ammarr

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Btw, is there any other app which actually keeps apps active in the background like this? (i.e. keep audio/video playing)

There are 2 updates I'd love to it: default to normal behavior (launch windows maxmized), and have some activator style button combo that launches it into the windowed mode. As of now its annoying to have to maximize things all the time if you have no intention of multitasking, thus why I'd default it to disabled and just use it as needed.

Yup, waiting for this feature to be added as well. As it is, I generally keep it off since the default full screen behaviour is what I need most of the time. But nice to have the option when needed.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
There was an app called backgrounder that would force things to keep running, but that was way back in iOS 3 when there was no multi-tasking setup so no idea if its still functional. Doubt it.

May be something new too, I don't have comprehensive knowledge of tweaks or anything.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
The app is good but it could use some work. If you could go full screen and then open another app it would be cool. But good tweek.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
There was an app called backgrounder that would force things to keep running, but that was way back in iOS 3 when there was no multi-tasking setup so no idea if its still functional. Doubt it.

May be something new too, I don't have comprehensive knowledge of tweaks or anything.

I'm using backgrounder for certain apps on the iPhone 4s. It is still working

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I read on Cydia...

... that,

"iPad 3 fully support is being added in the next update"

Any issues with iPad 3 users right now?

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
... that,

"iPad 3 fully support is being added in the next update"

Any issues with iPad 3 users right now?

So is it working at all for the iPad 3? Or is this "update" thats coming for better functionality and retina capability?

It is working on my iPad 3. I assume that he means improved functionality and retina capability. The buttons under the windows look really pixilated on my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.