Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

wwdc_2012_apple-150x196.jpg

Apple today made a series of announcements on its Worldwide Developers Conference page, most notably posting the conference schedule confirming that an opening keynote will be held on Monday, June 11 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time. As noted by The Loop, Apple has also issued media invitations for the keynote.

No other details on the keynote session are available, but it will presumably see Apple CEO Tim Cook kicking off a team presentation to show off OS X Mountain Lion and iOS 6 and potentially introduce major updates to the company's Mac products.

The full schedule is restricted to conference attendees, but includes the typical suite of session, labs, and other events to help developers learn from Apple experts and socialize with others. As usual, the schedule includes a number of "To Be Announced" sessions that will build upon announcements made in the keynote. Apple has also published an Attendee Guide to help conference attendees plan their week, know what to bring, and get up to speed to be ready for conference sessions.

wwdc_2012_app.jpg

Finally, Apple has once again released a free WWDC iOS app [App Store] to help attendees stay organized during the conference. Arriving as a universal app compatible with iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, WWDC 2012 includes the conference schedule with the ability to "favorite" sessions of greatest interest, news updates, maps of the Moscone Center, and photos from the event.

Article Link: Apple Confirms WWDC Keynote on June 11 at 10AM Pacific, Releases iOS App for Attendees

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Interesting, anyone notice its silver? Does this mean iOS 6 will be silver instead of blue.

fredoviola

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
Really hope to hear about what the strategy will be for new Mac Pros. Fingers firmly crossed that some mention will be made!

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I've been out of the apple loop for a bit, are they expected to announce the next iteration of the iphone @ WWDC?

Highly unlikely. Looks like we're going to see new Macs of some sort (most likely MBPs), iOS 6 Beta, info on Mountain Lion, and some upgrades to iCloud.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
iOS6

Looks like they're changing to sliver theme, rather than `blue`-ish to match iPad's theme. Lookin' forward to it!

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Wooo...new MBPro, new iMac, new MacPro...

Oh...and one more thing...

New iPhone in June/July.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
I hope they announce the new Steve Jobs movie. I really want a Loreen bikini shot.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
I'm more interested in what Cook announces than I normally am with WWDCs. If (and I realize this is a big "if") you pluck out the release of the iPad 3, Apple has an unusually large time gap in hardware releases. Going through the Macrumors "Buyer's Guide," the last non-iPad hardware release was in October, and many hardware items haven't been upgraded since summer or even Spring 2011. All the while, the WWDC has traditionally been showcase of (of course) tools for developers, such as the next OS X, or the next iOS. My point is that I don't recall this large of a hardware gap (again, if you pluck out one item - iPad 3), and if WWDC is focussed once again on developer tools like OS X and iOS, it seems less likely that there will be much, if anything, in the way of a hardware update.

Not really sure where I'm going with all of this. The optimistic admitted-Apple-fanboy is hopeful that this is leading to something particularly impressive in the way of new hardware, perhaps in August or so. The pessimist in me is concerned that Apple is starting to coast on the periodic, incremental software/hardware updates in lieu of bold, risky releases. Even though the iPod Hi-Fi, as an example, was discontinued (probably due to lackluster sales), I miss the days of the announcement from Apple that it was again pushing the boundaries of what it's done in the past, of what this industry has done in the past. I'd love to see, for example, Apple re-invent networking/Airplay/mirroring - taking away the clumsy need to generally get on a stand-alone router/network. I'd love to see Apple, for example, make it insanely easy to push content from one device to another without the need to be on a traditional network.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
That says the keynote will be an hour and a half, which isn't that long seeing as others years it has been over 2 hours, does anyone know from previous years if those timings are accurate?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Really hope to hear about what the strategy will be for new Mac Pros. Fingers firmly crossed that some mention will be made!

You might not like it :

Apple is transitioning away from the Mac Pro. Mac Pro will be available for order through July 31, 2012. After that date, customers looking to upgrade, replace, or supplement existing Mac Pro systems with new Apple hardware have the following two desktop solutions to choose from.

palter

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Boston, MA
That says the keynote will be an hour and a half, which isn't that long seeing as others years it has been over 2 hours, does anyone know from previous years if those timings are accurate?

Last year's keynote was also listed as 1.5 hours on the schedule. In 2010, it was listed as 2 hours but I don't remember it lasting that long.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Yah but you are the minority.

The majority want to know whats going on with the MBPro, iMac and MacPro.
Not according to device sales. There are far more iOS devices than Macs sold every quarter.

Moreover, the desktop market is less than a quarter of Apple's total Mac sales. The Mac Pro sales percentage is miniscule which is why Apple hasn't updated it for nearly two years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.