Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Last year's keynote was also listed as 1.5 hours on the schedule. In 2010, it was listed as 2 hours but I don't remember it lasting that long.

Good, so it doesn't mean there isn't much to show.

Last edited:

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
Still too early for new Macs, given the Ivy Bridge situation. I'd expect (well, hope for) a full refresh in a month or so, not now.

I really can't see any new hardware being announced at WWDC. It'll be focused on the two new OS versions.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Really hope to hear about what the strategy will be for new Mac Pros. Fingers firmly crossed that some mention will be made!

I doubt it very much since the focus of this event is primarily on iOS app development for mobil devices. Mac Pros are about as far away from this as you can get.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
Not according to device sales. There are far more iOS devices than Macs sold every quarter.

Moreover, the desktop market is less than a quarter of Apple's total Mac sales. The Mac Pro sales percentage is miniscule which is why Apple hasn't updated it for nearly two years.

The more likely reason, is that there hasn't been anything to update them with - no new/significantly improved chipsets. Until Intel's latest are ready for mass production, there's not much to do to upgrade the pro. I'd have quietly added thunderbolt ports, in the meantime, but...

I think one of the reasons for the poor sales of the Pro are twofold:

1) those that require and can afford such a powerful machine are few and
2) there hasn't been a refresh in a while and we all know it. Most of those few are on hold waiting for a better machine.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Not according to device sales. There are far more iOS devices than Macs sold every quarter.

Moreover, the desktop market is less than a quarter of Apple's total Mac sales. The Mac Pro sales percentage is miniscule which is why Apple hasn't updated it for nearly two years.

Wrong. The D and C stand for "Developer Conference". To develop for iOS or Mac OS, you pretty much have to be on a Mac. Thus, the majority of attendees at WWDC are interested in seeing new Macs.

Steve Jobs said the computer was going to become the truck of the digital world. Guess who the truck drivers are? The dev's. We want new macs like truck drivers want new trucks.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011

Yes we know iOS outsells everything...that's obvious considering the devices cost way less then the desktop/laptop lines.

WWDC is more about the software/pro market...which mainly focuses on the MBPro, iMac, MacPro. We'll see an update on Lion and Final Cut X and the systems that run those over iOS 6.

You obviously don't understand what WWDC is about. It's not about the iOS devices. It's about the MAC and it's software.

BTW, your iOS apps are programmed on...wait for it....iMacs, MacPros, MBPros.

I really can't see any new hardware being announced at WWDC. It'll be focused on the two new OS versions.

I think you're wrong here. Perfect time to show new software is on new machines optimized for that software and that is about Ivy Bridge. Apple has probably had their chips for months from Intel. And most hardware is set up for sale almost immediately after the announcement (and there was a post about stock dwindling down for MBPros).

I think one of the reasons for the poor sales of the Pro are twofold:

1) those that require and can afford such a powerful machine are few and
2) there hasn't been a refresh in a while and we all know it. Most of those few are on hold waiting for a better machine.

Agreed. I've been in a holding pattern for a year waiting on the MBPro or MacPro. They have my sale as soon as I know what they are releasing. And I'm not the only one waiting.

Regarding #1...the needs for a MacPro are dwindling for a lot of users. Top of the line iMacs and MBPros can do the job for most. Will be interesting to see where they go with the MacPro. Still waiting on that mystical unicorn MacPro mid tower.

Last edited:

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Very excited, also I really like the interface of the WWDC iOS app, I would love to see something like that on iOS6..

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Wrong. The D and C stand for "Developer Conference". To develop for iOS or Mac OS, you pretty much have to be on a Mac. Thus, the majority of attendees at WWDC are interested in seeing new Macs.
My two-year old Mac mini is perfectly capable of developing iOS applications. You don't need the latest Mac to be a developer.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Maybe there will be new APIs that put those starred corners on list items like on the WWDC app if there isn't one already. I really hope Apple revolutionizes iOS someone and make it even more efficient to use.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I expect it'll go down like this:

The state of AAPL is strong, aren't we great
iOS 6, due out sometime in fall right around when iPhone 6 is expected
Mountain Lion, oh and hey look, retina graphics
iLife showing off Mountain Lion features, your apps can look like this too
Here's some laptops showing off retina graphics now that Mountain Lion is resolution independent, on sale now

And if we're very, very lucky...

One more thing, here's some new Apple displays that are also retina, and hey look, new desktops that can use them, and suddenly it's as if millions of pros whining and begging were suddenly silenced

Whatever happens, it's been a good long while since we've had a keynote presentation to watch. I'm hoping for new hardware that I actually need, but either way it'll be good to see the direction iOS 6 and OS X are headed.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Doesn't anyone find it odd that the only way to see the posted keynote time and date is by being a paid attendee via the WWDC app. ? In the past Apple always posted this info for anybody to see. Not just attendees.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
My two-year old Mac mini is perfectly capable of developing iOS applications. You don't need the latest Mac to be a developer.

I didn't say you need the latest. But those of us who have six+ year old Macs would like to upgrade. And when we upgrade, we don't want to upgrade to your two year old Mac Mini for the same price that you paid for it two years ago. We want something newer at the same price you paid then.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I expect it'll go down like this:

The state of AAPL is strong, aren't we great
iOS 6, due out sometime in fall right around when iPhone 6 is expected
Mountain Lion, oh and hey look, retina graphics
iLife showing off Mountain Lion features, your apps can look like this too
Here's some laptops showing off retina graphics now that Mountain Lion is resolution independent, on sale now

And if we're very, very lucky...

One more thing, here's some new Apple displays that are also retina, and hey look, new desktops that can use them, and suddenly it's as if millions of pros whining and begging were suddenly silenced

Whatever happens, it's been a good long while since we've had a keynote presentation to watch. I'm hoping for new hardware that I actually need, but either way it'll be good to see the direction iOS 6 and OS X are headed.

I think the Phone is coming sooner then fall. With the leaks we've gotten, you could see the phone in June/July with iOS6.

I think last year was a fluke with the push back into October...they had some sort of issue with either supply or a component or this metal back/casing on the new phone wasn't ready. I really think the 4S was a fall back plan when they couldn't get this new design ready by when they wanted.

I think we're back to a early summer release.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
June 11 :cool: - marked on my iCal, synced thru iCloud to all my iDevices .... now
just to make sure my internet bill:eek: to enjoy streaming of the keynote as soon as its released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.