Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

timcooklaughing.jpg
At this year's All Things D conference, Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher interviewed Apple CEO Tim Cook about a range of topics. We offer a transcript of the interview, but didn't include the Q&A session because we were standing in line to ask Cook a question.

A number of questions were asked, including about Apple's product naming strategy and how Cook originally joined Apple -- I asked about his feelings regarding the attention paid to Apple and himself by rumor sites, the media and Apple's extremely passionate customers:
MacRumors: Jordan Golson from MacRumors.

You talk a lot about the emotion of the customers, there's a lot of passion amongst customers. Do you think the sort of attention that's paid to Apple from rumor sites and news sites and everybody is a distraction or a driver? How does that affect you and the company?

Tim Cook: I think it's a privilege to have people that care about the company and care enough to write, care enough to talk, and care enough to send me an email and say "you're out to lunch on this thing" and "you should be looking at this differently".

I think all of that is great, I love it. And do I want something printed on a website that's confidential? No, but I don't think that's what you're asking.

I view our ecosystem as including great sites that care deeply about the company and want to inform customers. I have no problem with people that disagree with things that we're doing. That's our country and I love it. It's great that we have disagreements.

Does that make sense?

Kara Swisher: He loves you.
(Image courtesy Dan Frommer/ReadWriteWeb)

Article Link: Tim Cook at D10: Loves That Customers, Rumor and News Sites Care About Apple

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Did you tell him you were from MacRumors ?

ya, he introduced himself as being from MacRumors.

(edit: made that more obvious in the story)

arn

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Remind me, who is Kara Swisher? Is she/he actually from Apple or just someone else who was at D10 who interjected with that "He loves you." statement?

Macopotamus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Good stuff.

Please post a full transcript of the Q&A if you get the chance, I haven't seen it anywhere.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I'm sure we provide the executives at Apple with great entertainment the way we have been waiting for the MBP refresh and sharing crappy iPhone mockups :).

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Interesting article. I wonder if any of the high level executives have accounts here or on other rumour sites.

Unison

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
Apple is in good hands, all things considered; Steve is sure to be proud.

Hello to Jason Isaacs ;)

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
Anyone knows where to watch the entire interview? this bit by bit is getting lame....

Apple TarHeel

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Tim is a good guy ... I like the way he carefully thinks about what he is about to say before he says it ....

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Cool, now I feel a little less guilty about being on here. I always kinda thought Steve might not approve, plus I used to frequent ThinkSecret a lot. As said before by someone, the formula was to be read the rumors, then go to MacRumors to talk about it. :)

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Interesting article. I wonder if any of the high level executives have accounts here or on other rumour sites.

my bet would be most of the corporate accounts (if they have accounts) will be of apples competitors.

----------

picture looks like he is patting an invisible dog.

----------

Tim Cook: Yeah, I love it when rumour sites care about our products and engage with our customers. Stories about Nascar; not so much.

to be fair to the editors the nascar article was HUGE!, must have been quite a bit of work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.