Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I will ask ritsuka but iirc he said its the same as the optimization in HB. ritsuka is the Subler dev as well as a dev for HB. That said they both us libmp4v2 for muxing etc.

----------

Just talked to him, its the same. no difference.

Thanks for doing that. I think I had read somewhere that someone recommended using Subler for optimization because it used v2 and Handbrake used v1. That clears everything up.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I will ask ritsuka but iirc he said its the same as the optimization in HB. ritsuka is the Subler dev as well as a dev for HB. That said they both us libmp4v2 for muxing etc.

----------

Just talked to him, its the same. no difference.

So, because I'm stupid...if i encode in HB using the High Profile and/or iPhone presets, there's no need then to optimize in Subler?

TIA

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Just to make sure I understand.

Optimizing the file allows faster start times for the apple tv 3 and other devices, and easier streaming of the file afterwards on conjested/slower networks, correct?

For my existing handbrake files (where I did not select web optimize) should I go back and let subler do it? Can optimizing do any harm to the files?

For future files, I am good with just changing my apple tv 3 preset to include web optimize, then just add meta data with subler (and not select optimize in subler?)

Thanks

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
HandBrake Audio Settings for MKV

What am I supposed to do with the audio settings? I left them as pictured, and both had been defaulted to 0 at first. I changed both to 1 since I don't want DTS HD.

The other options are

0 English DTS HD MA 5.1
2 Espanol AC3 5.1

Why are there two tracks?

I just want 5.1...I don't need DTS HD.

I've used Handbrake before but this is the first time encoding an MKV. I read some where to always choose option one.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Handbrake Audio Settings.png
    Handbrake Audio Settings.png
    284.1 KB · Views: 259

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Just to make sure I understand.

Optimizing the file allows faster start times for the apple tv 3 and other devices, and easier streaming of the file afterwards on conjested/slower networks, correct?

For my existing handbrake files (where I did not select web optimize) should I go back and let subler do it? Can optimizing do any harm to the files?

For future files, I am good with just changing my apple tv 3 preset to include web optimize, then just add meta data with subler (and not select optimize in subler?)

Thanks

Optimization provides playback information to the playback unit at the beginning of the streaming process, rather than at the end after the movie is completely buffered. This allows the movie to start very quickly. Not sure of your second point...but it sounds good. ;)

No need to go back and optimize files that are not presenting a problem. I have not optimized many of my older rip dvd's but have optimized (or re-optimized) all of my BR rips. Optimizing does not harm a file.

I have changed my aTV3 preset to include Web Optimize. It's the same process in Subler and Handbrake and cuts out a hands-on Subler step. I also like to be consistent in my transcodes and that's why I optimize everything now. Doesn't hurt, can only help (as far as I know anyway). As a side note, there is no way to tell from file info (like that you would find from using MediaInfo) whether a file has been optimized or not. So by doing it for every file there is no guessing which files have it and which haven't'.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
What am I supposed to do with the audio settings? I left them as pictured, and both had been defaulted to 0 at first. I changed both to 1 since I don't want DTS HD.

The other options are

0 English DTS HD MA 5.1
2 Espanol AC3 5.1

Why are there two tracks?

I just want 5.1...I don't need DTS HD.

I've used Handbrake before but this is the first time encoding an MKV. I read some where to always choose option one.

Thanks in advance
I suspect that you started with a preset that set your audio format to 2 tracks. The first being a stereo AAC track that make the file compatible with iPads, iPhones, iPods, etc. The second track is your surround track. Since the mp4 container does not support the playback of DTS (regular or HD) it converts the selected DTS track to AC3 5.1 using ffmpeg.

I would recommend leaving the 1st track as it will be small in size and enhances compatibility. Your second track is fine, but if it were me I would use the DTS-MA source for better surround quality.

Does that answer your question?

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
I suspect that you started with a preset that set your audio format to 2 tracks. The first being a stereo AAC track that make the file compatible with iPads, iPhones, iPods, etc. The second track is your surround track. Since the mp4 container does not support the playback of DTS (regular or HD) it converts the selected DTS track to AC3 5.1 using ffmpeg.

I would recommend leaving the 1st track as it will be small in size and enhances compatibility. Your second track is fine, but if it were me I would use the DTS-MA source for better surround quality.

Does that answer your question?

yes...Today I used an MKV for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button for encoding in Handbrake and It has the DTS/DTS HD MA to AAC, but I don't see a second Audio for AC3. I'm not sure why. Maybe I need to add the track or I didn't select the correct audio in MakeMKV. The only english audio I didn't select was DD/2.0 English.

Thanks

So you recommend going forward I use selection '0 DTS-HD MA' for better audio correct?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
yes...Today I used an MKV for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button for encoding in Handbrake and It has the DTS/DTS HD MA to AAC, but I don't see a second Audio for AC3. I'm not sure why. Maybe I need to add the track or I didn't select the correct audio in MakeMKV. The only english audio I didn't select was DD/2.0 English.

Thanks

So you recommend going forward I use selection '0 DTS-HD MA' for better audio correct?

Yes, add a second track that has DTS-MA, AC3 (ffmpeg), 6-channel discrete. I would always use the highest quality source if storage space allows. Once you discard information, the only way to get it back is to start from the beginning.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Yes, add a second track that has DTS-MA, AC3 (ffmpeg), 6-channel discrete. I would always use the highest quality source if storage space allows. Once you discard information, the only way to get it back is to start from the beginning.

I'm a little confused by this as well. Does it make sense to select DTS-HD or TrueHD audio within Make MKV or DD 3/2+1-- or both? Will HB convert HD audio to AC3?

I have been just selecting DD 3/2+1 all along (which i believe is the default), but if it's better to go with one of the HD options, I can start doing that instead.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003

Faster start, yes (see micj' s notes above about info at the head of the file).
However on a congested network etc, once you get into the movie, I would not expect much improvement at all there as far as choking etc. its basically a "fast start" mechanism if you will.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Faster start, yes (see micj' s notes above about info at the head of the file).
However on a congested network etc, once you get into the movie, I would not expect much improvement at all there as far as choking etc. its basically a "fast start" mechanism if you will.
Is the interleaving part of "fast start" or a way to more efficiently stream the data?

----------

I'm a little confused by this as well. Does it make sense to select DTS-HD or TrueHD audio within Make MKV or DD 3/2+1-- or both? Will HB convert HD audio to AC3?

I have been just selecting DD 3/2+1 all along (which i believe is the default), but if it's better to go with one of the HD options, I can start doing that instead.
If file size is not an issue, I choose to preserve as much information as possible. I save all of my mkv's so I always check the HD audio and then let HB use that for transcode.

Maybe Dynaflash would chime in here, because I am not sure that using an HD audio track as the source for transcoding vs a SD audio track results in an mp4 output that is different. I guess the question is: does higher quality audio source going in to the mp4 yield a higher quality final? I would think so, but am not absolutely sure.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
If file size is not an issue, I choose to preserve as much information as possible. I save all of my mkv's so I always check the HD audio and then let HB use that for transcode.

Maybe Dynaflash would chime in here, because I am not sure that using an HD audio track as the source for transcoding vs a SD audio track results in an mp4 output that is different. I guess the question is: does higher quality audio source going in to the mp4 yield a higher quality final? I would think so, but am not absolutely sure.

Excellent question.

Also, I know this varies, but how much larger are mp4s typically with transcoded HD audio than those with SD?

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009

Ok, thanks mic j. I'm not sure why my last movie automatically had the second track listed with AC3 and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button didn't...it gives me the option to add the AC3 (ffmpeg) with 6 channel.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Excellent question.

Also, I know this varies, but how much larger are mp4s typically with transcoded HD audio than those with SD?
I can't give you a direct comparison as I have never transcoded the same file with both HD and SD audio. Looking back over similar length movies that are SD vs HD, my AC3 5.1 SD audio tracks tend to run 350-400Mb and my HD audio tracks around 600Mb.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Maybe Dynaflash would chime in here, because I am not sure that using an HD audio track as the source for transcoding vs a SD audio track results in an mp4 output that is different.

Well, yes but. the law of diminishing returns does apply. I guess you would have to define what you mean by " HD audio track" and " SD Audio Track " as your sources. It isn't that simple in practice if you want to split hairs.

I guess the question is: does higher quality audio source going in to the mp4 yield a higher quality final? I would think so, but am not absolutely sure.

Well yes ... and no. For instance if a source track is available in both AC3 and DTS and you are transcoding for a apple device (which will cannot playback the dts source track), then I would pass thru the ac3 track as there is no transcoding (this is common). Now, that said if you are going

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Well, yes but. the law of diminishing returns does apply. I guess you would have to define what you mean by " HD audio track" and " SD Audio Track " as your sources. It isn't that simple in practice if you want to split hairs.

Well yes ... and no. For instance if a source track is available in both AC3 and DTS and you are transcoding for a apple device (which will cannot playback the dts source track), then I would pass thru the ac3 track as there is no transcoding (this is common). Now, that said if you are going
Thanks for the clarifications...and education.

My take away is: 1) don't transcode if you can pass-through, 2) if you do transcode, use the highest quality source available, e.g. DTS-MA over DTS and 3) if you pass-through, use the highest quality source available, e.g. Dolby TrueHD over Dolby Digital.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Mic j

Thanks for the help with the settings. I will go back and optimize my files and change my preset options ( I am trying to move away from physical discs to computer files to help prevent the clutter issues associated with lots of cd/DVD/Bluray discs.)

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
My take away is: 1) don't transcode if you can pass-through, 2) if you do transcode, use the highest quality source available, e.g. DTS-MA over DTS and 3) if you pass-through, use the highest quality source available, e.g. Dolby TrueHD over Dolby Digital.
Yep, pretty much thats it.

osohardy

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009

Yep, pretty much thats it.

dynaflash can you clarify--I thought that if you are transcoding for example DTS-MA track to AC3 HB only uses the core DTS track anyway. For DTS-MA/TrueHD you can only passthru, right?

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012

So basically always use the highest quality source whether you're transcoding or passing-through.

Why wouldn't you pass-through all the time? Seems like that would make the most sense, right?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So basically always use the highest quality source whether you're transcoding or passing-through.

Why wouldn't you pass-through all the time? Seems like that would make the most sense, right?

If the source is not on a compatible format or resolution, then pass-through won't work so another way need to be chosen. For all compatible Sources and resolutions then yes...it make the most sense

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
If the source is not on a compatible format or resolution, then pass-through won't work so another way need to be chosen. For all compatible Sources and resolutions then yes...it make the most sense

How would you know whether the source is compatible or not? Will HB not allow for the option to be selected?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.