Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcfadyen

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
After screwing with iFLicks and iVI (still working with the iVI dev since it does PGS subs easily, but the PQ isn't as good as Handbrake), I am back to using Handbrake with the High Profile preset with the following I am using Subler beta 0.15 for metadata and to correctly set the iTunes attribute for "HD(1080p)".

When you use Subler, what audio do you select? When I open my HB file there, I get two tracks...stereo and surround. I always select both (is this correct)? And in the settings, default has convert AC-3 to stereo...should that be unchecked?

I hope I didn't screw up my surround when I opened/saved with Subler! Still new to this!

Thanks,
A.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
When you use Subler, what audio do you select? When I open my HB file there, I get two tracks...stereo and surround. I always select both (is this correct)? And in the settings, default has convert AC-3 to stereo...should that be unchecked?

I hope I didn't screw up my surround when I opened/saved with Subler! Still new to this!

Thanks,
A.

Video-checked
AAC stereo-checked
AC3 surround-unchecked

I do not use the AC3 to stereo preference setting. I let Handbrake do that for me. If you are just using Subler for remuxing to mp4 to play on the aTV you should use it. aTV looks for that stereo track.

The nice thing is that you can always go back into Subler and change it if you have an audio issue.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
... at least until hb releases an atv3 preset. Which will pretty much be this barring a couple minor changes at most..

So, any more word on whether there'll be a dedicated ATV3 preset, and if so, what time frame are we looking at?

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
So I am a bit anal and want to be sure I got this right, is this what the settings should be?

Also, if you have a source file that is 720p, should you just use the Apple TV Settings?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-03 at 6.31.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-03 at 6.31.45 PM.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 574

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
So I am a bit anal and want to be sure I got this right, is this what the settings should be?

Also, if you have a source file that is 720p, should you just use the Apple TV Settings?
Video
Can't really tell your setting from that image but here is what I did:
High Profile (that sets all of your video parameters: RF, framerate, etc)
Large file
Web optimization (improves streaming ability)
Strict anamorphic
Detelicine: off
Decomb: default

Audio
1st track AAC Prologic II
2nd track AC3 Passthrough

That will work with both 1080, 720 and 480p.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Video
Can't really tell your setting from that image but here is what I did:
High Profile (that sets all of your video parameters: RF, framerate, etc)
Large file
Web optimization (improves streaming ability)
Strict anamorphic
Detelicine: off
Decomb: default

Audio
1st track AAC Prologic II
2nd track AC3 Passthrough

That will work with both 1080, 720 and 480p.
Thanks! I think that is how it is set, I just like to double check!

Appreciate your response :)

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
Thanks! I think that is how it is set, I just like to double check!

Appreciate your response :)

STOP!!!!!!!

You have RF=32(!) in your screenshot - that is going to look like ******. The High Profile preset defaults to 20, I'm running 19. Some folks go to 22 (larger numbers are more compression, lower video quality). 32 will be unacceptable.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
STOP!!!!!!!

You have RF=32(!) in your screenshot - that is going to look like ******. The High Profile preset defaults to 20, I'm running 19. Some folks go to 22 (larger numbers are more compression, lower video quality). 32 will be unacceptable.

THANK YOU!!! Had no clue what that meant :)

wshell

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
1920x1080 but Apple says video qualty is 720p

i recently got a new appletv3 and have been converting my blu rays to the format using handbrake. All the formats says the video ratio (when I right click the file within itunes and get more info) is 1920x1080 (or something close) but where it says "video quality" or whatever it is, it says 720p.

anyone provide guidance as to why? wouldnt a 1920x1080 (after conversion with aspect ratio kept the same) end up at 1080, and not 720?

Im not that techy and have used these boards for most of the help i have gotten so far. Thanks to everyone who posts on these boards.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
i recently got a new appletv3 and have been converting my blu rays to the format using handbrake. All the formats says the video ratio (when I right click the file within itunes and get more info) is 1920x1080 (or something close) but where it says "video quality" or whatever it is, it says 720p.

anyone provide guidance as to why? wouldnt a 1920x1080 (after conversion with aspect ratio kept the same) end up at 1080, and not 720?

Im not that techy and have used these boards for most of the help i have gotten so far. Thanks to everyone who posts on these boards.

So what app are you using to edit the meta data? If you're using an older version of Subler, then you can't get the 1080p tag. Apparently, the meta data responsible for setting SD, HD-720p, and HD-1080p is set using 0, 1, or 2. Prior to the latest version of Subler, you couldn't set that bit at 2.

I'm guessing other apps (Vidalin, MetaX/Z, etc) had to be similarly updated to show the HD-1080p tag.

ft

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Two quick questions:

1) How long does it take you to convert files? I went to do it and it took about 5 hours for a 40 minutes video.

2) If I am using a 720p source file, should I use the AppleTV 3 settings or are the AppleTV 2 settings OK for that?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

The "HD" flag in iTunes can denote either 720 or 1080p. That designation is part of the files metadata (cover art, genre, cast, etc). Handbrake does not generate that metadata. You have to add metadata to the file using something like Subler (that's what I use), MetaZ, iVI etc. In those apps you can set the flag to 720/1080p. Since both resolutions are considered as HD, you might want to ask yourself whether it, you want to run the file through another app to add that info or just be satisfied with the HD designation.

----------

Two quick questions:

1) How long does it take you to convert files? I went to do it and it took about 5 hours for a 40 minutes video.

2) If I am using a 720p source file, should I use the AppleTV 3 settings or are the AppleTV 2 settings OK for that?

1) You haven't provided enough information to know whether 5+ hours is normal or not. It all depends on file type, app used, app setting used, and of course, how much horsepower you have to run those apps.

2) I use the same Handbrake transcode settings, whether 720 or 1080p. I like to keep life simple.

wshell

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
So what app are you using to edit the meta data? If you're using an older version of Subler, then you can't get the 1080p tag. Apparently, the meta data responsible for setting SD, HD-720p, and HD-1080p is set using 0, 1, or 2. Prior to the latest version of Subler, you couldn't set that bit at 2.

I'm guessing other apps (Vidalin, MetaX/Z, etc) had to be similarly updated to show the HD-1080p tag.

ft

I use iDentify. its simple. should I use a different one and run all the applications through there? i use handbrake to encode the makemkv file

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I use iDentify. its simple. should I use a different one and run all the applications through there? i use handbrake to encode the makemkv file

I see in a recent update of iDentify they added the 1080p flag support so you should be able to set the 1080p flag in iDentify. I don't use it, so I can't tell you how though.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
1) You haven't provided enough information to know whether 5+ hours is normal or not. It all depends on file type, app used, app setting used, and of course, how much horsepower you have to run those apps.

2) I use the same Handbrake transcode settings, whether 720 or 1080p. I like to keep life simple.

I use HDPVR for the Hauppauge and I convert right from the m2ts. I use Handbrake with the suggested settings in this thread. I am on a MBP from last year, i7 2.3 with 8GB of memory.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Still looking for answers

Not sure what you expect to find out. Handbrake is an incredibly processor-intensive app, and chewing a 20-30GB file down to a 5-7GB file is going to take some time. My iMac (see sig.) takes 3-5 hours to produce a 1080p m4v from a Blu Ray rip. It takes +/-1 hour to produce a 544p m4v (for iPhone) from the same source.

It's impossible to say what your time should be because there are so many factors involved, not least of which is your processor and its workload, but also the length of the clip and the amount of motion / detail involved.

----------

The High Profile preset defaults to 20, I'm running 19. Some folks go to 22 (larger numbers are more compression, lower video quality).

I stick with the preset's 20. I tried a couple of movies at 19, and I found that there a lot of halo-ing around light sources, like the whole thing was soft-lit. 20 doesn't exhibit the same effect.

Last edited:

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I stick with the preset's 20. I tried a couple of movies at 19, and I found that there a lot of halo-ing around light sources, like the whole thing was soft-lit. 20 doesn't exhibit the same effect.
That sounds strange ... 19 is higher quality than 20.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Does the Web Optimization in Handbrake actually interleave the video and audio, or just set an atom at the start of the file instead? Subler also has this functionality, but it specifically mentions the interleaving.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Does the Web Optimization in Handbrake actually interleave the video and audio, or just set an atom at the start of the file instead? Subler also has this functionality, but it specifically mentions the interleaving.

It also interleaves.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003

as mic_j said, the optimization in hb and subler are the same.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
as mic_j said, the optimization in hb and subler are the same.
Thought you might know the answer to this, I thought somewhere in my searching around and reading up on Subler that it uses a different version of the optimization protocol than handbrake. Do you know anything about that?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Thought you might know the answer to this, I thought somewhere in my searching around and reading up on Subler that it uses a different version of the optimization protocol than handbrake. Do you know anything about that?

I will ask ritsuka but iirc he said its the same as the optimization in HB. ritsuka is the Subler dev as well as a dev for HB. That said they both us libmp4v2 for muxing etc.

----------

Just talked to him, its the same. no difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.