Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a new research note, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reports that Apple will be making significant improvements to both front and rear cameras on the next-generation iPhone, advances driven by a desire to decrease the thickness of the device and to improve compatibility with a new 16:9 display.

According to Kuo, the rear camera on the iPhone will remain at 8 megapixels, but the aperture will be increased from f/2.4 to f/2.2 in order to reduce camera module height by nearly 0.5 mm.
[A] number of components have required a slim-down. The component that will undergo the most dramatic make-over is the rear camera. Our research shows that iPhone 5 will feature the first-ever slimmed rear camera of all iPhones, in an effort to deliver an ultra-slim iPhone 5.

Meanwhile, to enhance photography effects, iPhone 5's rear camera will feature a larger f/2.2 aperture than iPhone 4S's f/2.4. However, larger aperture means more noises. In addition, the reduced thickness means even greater challenges for lens design and assembly, as not only the lens, but also the voice coil motor (VCM) and CMOS image sensor (CIS) need to be slimmer. Finally, the compact camera module (CCM) suppler, responsible for the terminal assembly, will be confronted by assembly yield.
iphone_rear_camera_specs.jpg

As for the front-facing camera, Kuo argues that Apple's move to a 16:9 display will drive a significant boost to HD quality for the front camera. HD offers the same 16:9 aspect ratio as the new display, as opposed to the 4:3 aspect ratio of the current VGA-quality FaceTime camera, and Apple will likely want to take full advantage of the device's new screen. In addition, moving the FaceTime camera to above the earpiece will allow for more centered images, improving the user experience.

The report also indicates that Apple is adopting flip-chip packing for the new front-facing camera, a process that will result in a thinner assembly and simplify lens production by moving the blue glass filter to the camera module itself.

Kuo has offered accurate information on a number of occasions in the past, relying on sources within Apple's supply chain to piece together Apple's product plans.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone Rumored to Adopt Thinner and Improved Front and Rear Cameras

rafaltrus

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Champaign, IL
I have a pretty good feeling the very next iPhone will be called just iPhone, just like Apple did with the iPad.
I always found these numbers to be unnecessary...

thinner(although not necessary) + wider + taller (latter two NOT exclusive) and I will but my first iPhone ;)

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
The next iPhone will be known as the iPhone 5, regardless of what apple chooses to call it. Just like everyone calls the new iPad "iPad 3"

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
CRIPES! The iPhone 4S is the iPhone 5! How freakin' stupid are some people?!

With this logic, the iPhone 3GS is the iPhone4 and the iPhone4 is the iPhone5 making the iPhone4S the iPhone6. Everyone get ready for the iPhone7!!!

haha!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Having a larger aperture means it lets in more light...which should mean less noise...

jazzguitar

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
With this logic, the iPhone 3GS is the iPhone4 and the iPhone4 is the iPhone5 making the iPhone4S the iPhone6. Everyone get ready for the iPhone7!!!

haha!

How do you figure?

1 - iPhone in 2007
2 - 3g in 2008
3 - 3GS in 2009
4 - 4 in 2010
5 - 4S in 2011

Are there other iPhones that I don't know about? Using your naming system the iPhone 4 would actually be the iPhone 3. It's simple math people...

lellis2k

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
Leeds, UK

haha!

Not really
1. iphone
2. iphone 3g
3. iphone 3gs
4. iphone 4
5. iphone 4s
6. iphone ?

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
How? The 3GS was the 3rd iPhone, the iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone.

oops. true.
I just didn't like the "How stupid are some people?" comment. I guess pretty stupid

hah!

EDIT: not trying to argue, I think the naming is a moot point - didn't think it was necessary to bring up and call people dumb about.

Last edited:

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I love how mad people get when they call the next iPhone the iPhone 5. Whether Apple calls it that or not, people will call it that because of the natural progression Apple has set.

Apple iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, etc.

As for the front-facing camera, Kuo argues that Apple's move to a 16:9 display will drive a significant boost to HD quality for the front camera. HD offers the same 16:9 aspect ratio as the new display, as opposed to the 4:3 aspect ratio of the current VGA-quality FaceTime camera, and Apple will likely want to take full advantage of the device's new screen.

How does this make sense?

First, who takes video with the front facing camera?

Secondly, if you do take video, I would think most people do so in portrait mode...

Well I guess if you wanted to make a good video you could hold it in landscape, but then you'd have to compensate for the off center.

At any rate, I'm in favor of the HD front facing camera.

I'm also excited for the phone to be ~8mm. I honestly think that is the perfect thickness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.