Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a last minute press conference, Google today shared "the next dimension" of Google Maps. The presentation, which some felt was underwhelming from a product perspective, included a lot of history around the Google Earth, Maps and Street View products, as well as a peek at what's to come.

The announcements are particularly significant with credible rumors that Apple will be dropping Google Maps as the native maps application in iOS, in favor of its own solution at WWDC next week.

NewImage7.png

Image courtesy The Verge
The first big announcement was related to the display of 3D buildings in Google Earth. Google is using airplanes along with a Google-designed system to photograph cities and make a 3D map of buildings. It appears to be a very similar process to the one used by C3 Technologies, a company that Apple purchased last year. The Verge offers more details on how it works:
To make the images, Google uses planes to take images at 45-degrees from four different angles -- flying them in a tightly-controlled pattern with plenty of overlap. Google builds the 3D model off of these many images, using algorithms to create the shape and color of buildings. The process is "fully automated," building the 3D images without any human interactions. The system is intelligent enough to know when a certain image is blocked or shadowed, for example. The company hopes to combine the 2D mapping and vector data with the 3D images to perhaps someday provide vertical location information.
Aside from the Google Earth developments -- which will be coming to the iOS version of Google Earth in the coming weeks -- Google also unveiled new technologies for Street View and offline viewing for Google Maps on Android.

Google executives also took questions from the audience. Brian McClendon, VP of Engineering for Google Maps, said Google was "really proud of Google Maps" and that the company was "committed to offering those services on all platforms". Based on these statements, it seems likely Google will offer a standalone iOS app for Google Maps even if Apple chooses to implement its own mapping solution in the native iOS Maps app, much like it does for the existing Google Earth app.

Article Link: Google Announces New 3D Features for Google Earth, Is "Committed to Offering" Google Maps on 'All Platforms'

jebus01

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
If Apple stand by their values, which I hope they will, they choose google IF google is actually a better map product. "We just want to make a product as good as possible", I remember Jobs used to say. Hope they do so.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
You know, it isn't a crime to admit that a company other than Apple does something well.

And Google does very well with Maps. I just can't see Apple committing to the same amount of real world work they do in order to make sure Google Maps is the best.

Kyrra

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
If Apple stand by their values, which I hope they will, they choose google IF google is actually a better map product. "We just want to make a product as good as possible", I remember Jobs used to say. Hope they do so.

The question is, who is responsible for developing Google Maps for the iPhone currently? It's been lagging behind the feature offerings of Android for quite some time. Is that Google's fault or Apple's fault?

Honestly, if Google can take over full development of Google Maps for the iPhone and update it as regularly as they do for Android, I'm all for Apple ditching Gmaps and implementing their own (thereby letting Google do Google Maps themselves).

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
It's a great time for those of us who love maps!!! Between this and what Apple likely has brewing, the next year or two is in for a giant leap in personal, mobile 3D map technology.

When you look at this stuff, you just get that feeling of, "We DO live in The Future!" :D

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
Still looking forward to Apple Maps, if anything, just to see what they've been able to do with the short time and the three companies.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
The question is, who is responsible for developing Google Maps for the iPhone currently? It's been lagging behind the feature offerings of Android for quite some time. Is that Google's fault or Apple's fault?

Honestly, if Google can take over full development of Google Maps for the iPhone and update it as regularly as they do for Android, I'm all for Apple ditching them.

That would be the bright side if Google was no longer the baked-in map provider.

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
Google is in panic mode, and this ad hoc presentation with no product availability date show it. They're basically saying "Hey, we used to be important in maps." What's worse is that Apple will probably move completely away from Google in the next few years. Maps is just the beginning; Google search will be obsoleted when Siri and semantic voice search comes to its full potential.

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri

Honestly, if Google can take over full development of Google Maps for the iPhone and update it as regularly as they do for Android, I'm all for Apple ditching Gmaps and implementing their own (thereby letting Google do Google Maps themselves).

Apple developed all the stock apps on iPhone. But the reason we don't have all the app dated features is due to liscensing disputes.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
Would apple even allow google to have their maps app in the app store if they themselves want to get into the map business??

I hope they do, especially if it turns out Google Maps is superior. And considering the time, money, and energy Google has put into maps all these years I think it will be.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I'm sure Apple's solution will be more impressive in terms of "new features".

However, what I feel they won't match (at least at first) is Google's map search engine and overall reliability.

Google Maps is simply very effective at what it does, and it took Google years and years to perfect it, while Apple's solution will not have been tested by a large number of users when it will launch, and will likely have glitches or downtimes which is obviously what you don't want it that kind of app. For maps and navigation, reliability is more important than any kind of 3D gimmick IMO.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Google is in panic mode, and this ad hoc presentation with no product availability date show it. They're basically saying "Hey, we used to be important in maps." What's worse is that Apple will probably move completely away from Google in the next few years. Maps is just the beginning; Google search will be obsoleted when Siri and semantic voice search comes to its full potential.

Meanwhile, back on planet earth. :D

How lucky we ALL are to have a company such as Google mapping the entire earth for us.
Only a few years ago, no, Google maps, No Google Earth.
We forget just how much work, time and effort has been done, and, in effect given to the worlds population to all use for free.
There is a lot of hate (esp here) for Google, but really, we should be so grateful, no other company would have gone out and done this for the mass public and just let us all use it like this.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK

I agree. I just want the best mapping solution, not an Apple-branded product just because it's Apple branded.

rahul247rocks

macrumors member
May 18, 2012
Google knows pretty well that if Apple is entering the Maps Industry then they better buckle up cause Apple is best at what they do. It's not that they can enjoy on the laurels of their Maps Domination on the internet platform.
Google Earth 3D looks impressive but I liked the leaked pictures of the new Apple 3D Maps way better.

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
Would apple even allow google to have their maps app in the app store if they themselves want to get into the map business??

I hope they do, especially if it turns out Google Maps is superior. And considering the time, money, and energy Google has put into maps all these years I think it will be.

Yes.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K

Siri, one of the least reliable and least useful Apple products of the decade, is going to single handedly defeat one of the world's most reliable and well-known search engines? Lol :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.