Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone5.png

Cydiablog points to a new hands on video with the same "iPhone 5" parts that have been circulating. The new video was posted by part supply company eTradeSupply.

The new video is not especially more revealing, but does show the backplate in a number of different angles. The narrator also compares it directly to the iPhone 4, showing the relative size. Other features noted:

- Smaller dock port
- Bottom headphone jack
- SIM card slot smaller
- iPhone 5 is thinner than iPhone 4S (though no screen on the iPhone 5)

Article Link: "iPhone 5" Back Cover Hands-On Video

Vip

macrumors regular
May 8, 2008
Seems very plausible, considering all the other rumors...

lecturenotes

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
I still can't decide if I like the headphone jack on the bottom.

It might be easier in terms of pulling your phone out of your pocket to look at the screen, but i'm just so used to having it on the top of the device.

AznTakumi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
This doesn't seem real because the back has this two tone matt/shinny finish which I cannot imagine apple doing. Also they got rid of the 30 pin dock port which might happen but see how they have been using the same port for so many generations, I find it highly unlikely they'll change it.

elvetio

macrumors member
May 29, 2012

I just don't like it. I'm not saying that is ugly. It's not. But the 4 looks so much better.

Just saying...

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
The engineering, size etc all seems very plausible, but what gives with that two-tone back - glass/plastic and aluminum?

This is something I couldn't figure out on the earlier videos - it looks quite naff and 'unApple'. That's not to accuse it of being a fake video, just that the design is quite jarring, and not what we'd typically expect.

It is similar to the iMac and iPad in the dual use of material, but the the actual glass top and tail....

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
Hmm, I'll admit it does look a lot better in that video than it did in those mock ups we saw ages ago, and it's starting to grow on me a bit. But it still looks a bit odd? That said, all these consistent leaks do make one wonder. :p

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Looks better than in the pics. And a gun metal looking rim? Me Gusta. Still have my salt shaker nearby though.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Liking the refinements so far. I can't quite tell if there is a slight bevel or not on the edges. Hopefully there is. The sharp angles o. The 4/4S make the iPhone a bit uncomfortable to hold without a case.

With the new iPhone looking even better I really don't want to put a case on it.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I know I'm probably judging too soon, and I know I'll be the first to preorder it, BUT that backside is really putting me thru it! It looks like a detachable plastic back, found on most Androids.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
with all these product leaks, i think this year's WWDC is going to be huge!

ajcadoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
I have a feeling the iPhone 5 makes it's debut as the first "One more thing..." at WWDC after Steve's passing.

Fingers crossed!

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I remember how everyone hated the iPhone 4 design when it first leaked. This could actually be the new iPhone, and it'll start to "grow on people." I can see it now....

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I wish they would have kept the headphone jack on the top and make the speaker/mic holes symmetrical on the bottom. Not really sure how I feel about the two tone back or the change in power connector.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I still can't decide if I like the headphone jack on the bottom.

It might be easier in terms of pulling your phone out of your pocket to look at the screen, but i'm just so used to having it on the top of the device.

True... but the iPod Touch and the previous generation Nano were like that.

If this is true... I wonder if they will explain why they moved it. Maybe they need all that room at the top for a larger LTE antenna?

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Just a wild guess! Just like the ps vita, the two tone may reflect a multi touch back pad! :)

vikpt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
if this is true the abrupt black-dark grey-black style is not aesthetically pleasing

MathijsDelva

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
As i told in another thread. I'm pretty sure these backplates are a controlled leak. This surely is one of those old prototype 'next-gen' iPhones in an old body in order to disguise the real iPhone. It's already a known fact Apple made/makes a lot of different designs (new parts in old bodies, other way around) just to confuse people. What's with all the sudden prototype iPhones floating around? You think Apple would just let the real iPhone leaked out there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.