Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
If the new iPhone is this far along in production, what does everyone think of a sooner than October launch?

I wanna know where these small companies get their parts... and how they get unreleased parts too... assuming this is a real part.

This could just be a clever hoax to get us to their website.

Zzzoom

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
close to perfection
I dig a lot that the new one will be thinner. However, I still don't think that the stretched form factor is a good idea. I do have to see the two tone in real life, but it looks a bit strange, as well as the build quality seems to be less good.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Guys....I dont know....watching that vid, Im not so sure there is any glass on the back. I think the top and bottom may be some other kind of material. I can picture the antenna's being positioned behind these.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
If it is real, I can live with it.

If it is a hoax, it's a damn elaborate hoax.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Looks like it's scratch-happy easy-crack plastic.
Make it all metal or do a glass back again, none of this two-tone plastic crap.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I don't like the idea of not being able to open the phone easily if this turns to be the real iphone :mad: Just like my ipad I have a feel apple is just gonna put a lot of glue on front to keep people from easily getting into their device.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
I don't like the idea of not being able to open the phone easily if this turns to be the real iphone :mad: Just like my ipad I have a feel apple is just gonna put a lot of glue on front to keep people from easily getting into their device.

And why do you need to open your iPhone again?

beebler

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2009
It's not as nice as the 4/4s but in all honesty that design is hard to beat. I think keepin the width similar is smart along with moving the headphone jack to the bottom, I always thought it makes more sense. Should be fun.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I have a feeling the iPhone 5 makes it's debut as the first "One more thing..." at WWDC after Steve's passing.

Fingers crossed!

Considering Apple is going to be changing the aspect ratio of the screen (rumored), you are expecting developers to only be given 2 weeks to test out iOS 6 beta before it is certified GM the following week for mass distribution?

Not including the first iPhone, every iPhone since has been released 2-3 months after iOS has completed its beta testing, that takes time.

Last edited:

Jabman

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
Honestly the iphone 4 looks so much better. Which leads me to believe that this thing ant real.

Dresling

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Randers. Denmark
Wierd Sound.

The sound the part makes when he puts it on the desk reveals that the aluminium is very thin. It sounds cheap.

We can never be sure as to if this is a real leak, but I sure hope not. Please give me 4,1 - 4,3 inches and keep the original ratio. Please Apple? And for heavens sake 128GB!!!!!!

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
And why do you need to open your iPhone again?

Umm replace the battery (since I actually use my phone for more then 6 months unlike most people.)

Fix components if phone became broken, i have needed to have this type of stuff done on my 4. And it doesn't make sense to not have a way to actually open up a phone without ripping it apart by it's glue :rolleyes:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I agree. My current phone sits in a doc while it charges and I often listen through my headphones while this happens.

Don't worry... with the old dock connector gone... Apple will gladly sell you a new dock!!!

:D

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
S3 pressure

Apple has to do something to slow down the Galaxy S3. These "leaks" just don't happen. It is planned by Apple.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I have to admit the more I look at it the more I like it.

To the person who said the back made a strange sound when placed on the desk, thats just because its hollow. When it has its guts and screen attached it will feel like a nice solid unit.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
If the new iPhone is this far along in production, what does everyone think of a sooner than October launch?

Nope. Q4 is Q4. Unless they're planning iTV for Q4, in which case Q3 would be in the cards.

Release dates are set by quarterly sales. By pushing the iPhone back to October, Apple had a gangbusters Q4. Can't move it unless they've got something else to replace it with, or else investors will throw a fit.

(For clarification, I'm talking calendar year, not fiscal. I think Q4 is actually Apple's fiscal Q1.)

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
Doubt it is the case

I still have doubts about this being the back cover. Here's my reason why:

Pretend the iPhone 4 design had never come out and you're seeing the iPhone 4 design for the first time along with this proposed iPhone 5 design. Which one would you choose? I think most people would go with the iPhone 4 design. Different isn't necessarily better. I remember what Jony I've once said, "We don't change something unless we can make it fundamentally better." This proposed iPhone 5 design is not a change for the better. It is a change for the sake of change and is very un-Apple like in my opinion. As long as I have known Apple products, they have always tried to keep their products sleek and simple. This doesn't seem to follow that with the aluminum, glass, etc.

I personally think they could go another round with this design since they have just increased the screen size, so it will be actually different. Then again, it might pose a problem because the 5s, if it is called that, will be the same design if we are to follow Apple's history. I don't think people will be too happy about having a pretty similar design for 4 years on a mobile device.

I will certainly buy the iPhone 5 even if it is this design. However, I have a gut feeling that this isn't the real case. The only real plus is the unibody to me.

sfrancis928

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Looks Good

This proposed iPhone 5 design is not a change for the better. It is a change for the sake of change and is very un-Apple like in my opinion.

It looks like a definite change for the better to me. Thinner, bigger screen, bigger speaker, smaller dock connector... And I still think it looks pretty sleek, not that this is definitely the final mockup or anything. But I wouldn't have any complaints if it was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.