Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Too bad Power Nap won't run on my current laptop, but I'm alread excited for that feature whenever I upgrade next. I loathe how slow my MacBook is when it wakes up and has to spin through time machine, sync, new email, etc. Consistently my single biggest gripe.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
The price point is nice, especially since Mountain Lion just seems like you're purchasing an iOS app suite for the Mac.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
question

Power Nap requires a Mac notebook with built-in flash storage. May require a firmware update.

what if i upgraded my mbp with a ssd, shouldnt that work? hm i guess some smart dev will find a way just like its possible to enable trim on a 3rd party ssd

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Too bad Power Nap won't run on my current laptop, but I'm alread excited for that feature whenever I upgrade next. I loathe how slow my MacBook is when it wakes up and has to spin through time machine, sync, new email, etc. Consistently my single biggest gripe.

That's why this is a feature for laptops shipping with SSD's.

kerosene

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Apple, you got to be kidding me. Who's looking at you in that Mountain Lion picture?

mountainlion560.jpg

stevejobs.jpg

iWonderwhy

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
That's $10 cheaper than Lion and you can pay $19.99 to upgrade anything all the way back to Snow Leopard. And it will upgrade all of your personal Macs.

Loved this part.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Got stung as an early adopter of Lion, so not going to make the same mistake and will wait until all the major bugs (if any) have been fixed. Do like the look of ML though.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
I am staying with Snow Leopard for my MacBookPro4,1 (early 2008). It runs great!!!!

Normal security updates for Snow Leopard will stop with the rollout of Mountain Lion (if Apple follows its historical pattern of just updating the most recent 2 versions of OS X). Do not expect Apple to keep selling Lion after Mountain Lion comes out.

Depending on your hardware, you might want to download Lion (you can install later I believe) just to have the option.

I'm on Snow Leopard too, my hardware will run Lion but won't run Mountain Lion, so I'll be heading over to the Apple store and making sure I don't loose the option of Lion and its updates after Mountain Lion rolls out.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Just watched the demo of the new iMessage and Notes apps. OS X is really getting iOSified, with little apps everywhere.

What I want to know is, will syncing of notes in mail be maintained? I sure hope so, I don't want another window on the screen.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
I'm running here the last preview and a lot of bugs and difficulties so far. It looks like, though my hardware configuration ( iMac 27, i5, 2,8 Ghz, 8GB memory ran ), that Mountain Lion is not a multi task system. If it will be released in July I think it will be another "failure" just like Lion.:mad:

Runs pretty well on my unsupported MacPro 1,1. Had no KPs and only a few app lock-ups. I've been using it full time since DP3. I've had no need to boot my 10.7 install.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
About half a year ago when the first preview appeared, I expected the features that were presented back then to be the cornerstones of the next update. It turns out that it was actually true. I have the feeling that this keynote has not added any groundbreaking things to what we already knew, besides some other small features like Facebook integration. The features are just on the minor side and have practically been transplanted from iOS. Not something I really need or look forward to, also considering that some of the features are not supported by my 2008 MacBook anyway. I think I just disregard this upgrade if it turns out that it might actually affect my performance (as Lion unfortunately did). At least the price is absolutely fair.

My biggest grief though is the lack of any iWork-related announcement. It's been a while since 2008 and quite honestly, I have lost my patience. I really like the software, but it is bugged and misses some of MS Office's key features which I had hoped to see implemented, or at least something new. I might as well go for MS Office now, with disappointment.

freyr1960

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
There is a very good reason: you don't want your hard drive spinning all the time.

I wonder if there will be a way to enable it for those of us who've installed SSDs in our MBPs.

Unless I'm missing something the restrictions on upgrades are not related to SSDs. For example, Apple' Mt. Lion page lists Mac Pro's early 2008 or newer as being compatible. Can anyone clarify this? I don't see what an earlier Intel-based Mac Pro would not have that the 2008 model does have other than raw processing speed and a faster video card.

jcurrie79

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
No airplay mirroring for pre 2011 Macs!?!?

One of the killer features that I was waiting for in the new OSX ML was airplay mirroring for my iMac (late 2009). Looking through the fine print of the tech specs, though, shows that airplay mirroring is not available for pre 2011 Macs.

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

Did they announce this, or just slip it in there?

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
wow, this crap is not even at a "patch" level - no wonder they only charging 20 bucks for it

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Most underrated announcement of the day - iMessages sent to your phone number will show up on iPad/Mac messages apps. Been waiting for this, as nobody ever sends messages to my apple ID email address.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
19.99 for what amounts to nothing more than a couple features. Thanks for nothing, Apple. Wont be buying this.

adt100

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
"Go full screen on any monitor"

Sold. If it is what I think it is this feature alone is worth the price to me, as a multi-monitor user I will finally be able to use full screen mode.

sillypooh

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Am I the only one who would rather pay a hundred bucks and get some real new features and improvements? This is cosmetic freeware rubb*sh! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.