Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
over my current AT&T plan this would cost me more. not worth moving for this. here's to AT&T to do better.

the core problem is they started too high on the data cost. right now a 5gb hotspot plan that can be shared among 5 devices at once costs $50 per month. so why does 1gb all of a sudden cost $50?

the problem is they didn't spread out the cost more. $100 for 10gb is fine but it needed to be more like this with a pair of low-cost options on the low end.

1gb for $15
2 $25
4 $40
6 $60
8 $80
10 for $100

What I want to see from AT&T is like their shared voice. add a plan onto the primary account and share it on an additional device for a flat rate per month. no special requirement to move to a new voice plan that costs me more.

$65 for sharing my current 4gb plan among three devices would cost me less than my current 9gb for $100. Among all three devices using even 3gb total is uncommon.

and that's like cutting 4 months of cell phone cost and AT&T had a greater chance of getting overage charges from me. with unlimited voice and big buckets they sure wouldn't

propynyl

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Overall I think I'm a pretty smart person. It is not like I got a 1600 on my SATs or anything, but I am certainly no slouch. That said, this new "Shared Plan" is insanly confusing. It is really rediculous.

For a great parody on this type of thing, watch Portlandia. They have this skit where the two main characters are trying to sign up for cell phone plans, and the salesman goes through like a hundred different combinations. Hilarity ensues.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Pathetic. I sure hope at&t's is better, but I'll bet it'll be worse.

What's especially irritating is the $10 fee for tablets. You are essentially just buying "permission" to use the device with the data you already bought.

Carriers need to just be dumb pipes. I should be able to buy chunks of data and use it however I choose.

This. Well put.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
so these are the plans they expect us to adopt when upgrading to the next iphone? if that's the case, my monthly bill would increase $25/mo, $600 over the life of a contract. i can't believe i'd actually be better off buying an unsubsidized iphone.

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Holy ripoff! So if my wife and I both want iPhones with 4 gigs of data to share we would have to pay 150 a month (before taxes and fees of course)?

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
What really pisses me off is this:

Q: I have an unlimited data plan on my account. Do I need to change it?

A: You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone.

They make it sound like us unlimited users will be fine... until the last sentence :mad:

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
When those who resist change with every breath they have actually change, it is the beginning of their defeat. These carriers are realizing that they will be dumb pipes that only exist to transfer data. I don't care about advertising campaigns or arrogant CEOs telling me that by buying their product I have somehow done something wrong when I bought unlimited data. Bring on more change for these idiotic companies. I'll stay on wifi for my tablet. I'll keep my unlimited data on my phone- unlimited messaging is meaningless with iMessage.

This is the beginning of change for these companies.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
I'm on day 19 of my billing cycle.
I've used 18 minutes of voice time.
I have SMS blocked completely.

How exactly is this supposed to sound appealing to me?

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
I'm currently paying over $180 per month to AT&T for unlimited data (~3-5GB throttle I guess?), unlimited texts, and limited minutes.

If we switched to Verizon, we would pay $180 for unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 10GB of LTE (if we switched to droids) speed data. And only $10 to add my iPad on there.

That's a pretty amazing savings. My iPad would have data! :D

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Part of me knew this was a possibility, but I was hoping with shared data they would just drop the whole minutes and text scam and just come out and charge sustainable rates for data. At the moment they're basically pricing their data at $10. When everything is data in the future and people can switch to wifi for a lot of stuff, will that be able to sustain them?

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul
if ATT took the same approach, I would actually end up paying more.

I'd be paying 200 dollars for the 5 iPhones on my family plan . . . then I'd have to go with the 10GB option, so that is 300 bucks for a total.

That data is pricing is outrageous! 80 dollars to share 6GB??

cadillac1234

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
I'm absolutely shocked that Verizon came out with a shared plan that is actually worse than the existing plans :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be bad until they threw in the per device charge. I wonder how many MBAs were needed to come up with that.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
No the real rip-off is $30 for a feature phone.

Actually, (aside from all the other problems with this) it's the fact that feature phones and smart phones have different prices that is insulting. They're both phones, so they use the same amount of voice and text, and you're paying by the GB, so how feature-rich the phone is is irrelevant.

They're charging smart phone users more because they can, and for literally no other reason. These plans make that super blatant.

surma884

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
For 5 smart phones the lowest you can pay is $250/mo and you have to share that 1GB of data across all 5 phones. Still pretty high I think. Not very impressed. I'm praying for Sprint to get back up on its feet so we can have some competition. These orange and red pricks keep increasing prices for less value.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I actually don't get this at all. Why would I want to spend $40 per smart phone (and not get any additional data for that money) when the regular plans give you more data with each phone you add to your plan?

I thought the entire point of data-sharing plans is that you pay per the data, not per device. By setting up a data-shring plan that charges by the device Verizon has completely missed the point.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I'm currently paying over $180 per month to AT&T for unlimited data (~3-5GB throttle I guess?), unlimited texts, and limited minutes.

If we switched to Verizon, we would pay $180 for unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 10GB of LTE (if we switched to droids) speed data. And only $10 to add my iPad on there.

That's a pretty amazing savings. My iPad would have data! :D

How many users do you have?
because if it's 2, your paying too much w/AT&T. But if it's 3, you miscalculated your new Verizon bill.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Actually, (aside from all the other problems with this) it's the fact that feature phones and smart phones have different prices that is insulting. They're both phones, so they use the same amount of voice and text, and you're paying by the GB, so how feature-rich the phone is is irrelevant.

They're charging smart phone users more because they can, and for literally no other reason. These plans make that super blatant.

They're basically saying $10 for access to data and $30 for access to traditional calls and SMS. Which is insane. They're pricing old tech higher than new tech. They're setting themselves up to do a perceived rate hike in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.