Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amid all the excitement of the notebook updates and OS X Mountain Lion and iOS 6 news yesterday, Apple quietly updated the Mac Pro, but surprisingly continued to use older Westmere processors instead of Intel's latest Sandy Bridge E offerings. The company also decided not to add Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 to what is supposed to be its top-of-the-line professional workstation, leaving customers who had been waiting nearly two years for an update bewildered.

One of the initial tip-offs that Apple had indeed quietly updated the Mac Pro yesterday was the addition of a small "New" tag to the Mac Pro listing on the main page of the Apple online store, a tag that was also added to the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro listings due to their updates.

apple_mac_lineup_061112.jpg

Apple's Mac lineup on June 11 with "New" tags on MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro
Apple appears to have had a change of heart today, however, perhaps deciding that the extremely minor update to the Mac Pro may not be worth promoting to a significant degree and removing the "New" label from the high-profile listings of its Mac products in the store.

apple_mac_lineup_061212.jpg

Apple's Mac lineup on June 12 with "New" tags only on MacBook Air and MacBook Pro
Apple is reportedly still investing in its desktop lines, with the company reportedly planning significant enhancements to the iMac and Mac Pro sometime next year.

(Thanks, Perry!)

Article Link: Apple Admits 'New' Mac Pro Isn't All That New

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
They should just change "New" to "Meh" in the same font so the lulz ensue.

Edit: Simplicated brought the lulz below! Excellent!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-13 at 5.18.34 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-13 at 5.18.34 PM copy.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 818
Last edited:

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
Haha, can we get the buyers guide clock put back to the 600+ day counter instead of starting over with day 1?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
It still shows Mac Pro on the "New To The Store" sidebar on the right though.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Haha, can we get the buyers guide clock put back to the 600+ day counter instead of starting over with day 1?
What are the criteria for a product to be designated new? If you look at the original iPhone in the MacRumors Buyer's Guide, it looks like they counted the release of the 16GB original iPhone (well after the "true" launch of the 4GB and 8GB models). Does anyone know the criteria?

LastMinuteMike

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
This.

Totally agree.

This is a serious request, since Apple now doesn't recognize it as an update, I don't think MacRumors should either.

Bring back the old 600+ day count.

Sgt. ButtKiss

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Sometime next year...

So the iMac with be on a 600-700 day update cycle?? Not to mention the MP coming in over 1000 days?

I honestly don't believe that will be the case. Probably for full redesigns, but simple updates that are more than what the MP experienced yesterday are totally feasible and I would expect Apple to make some kind of desktop release around the end of summer, or possibly near ML. Otherwise they will alienate so many customers who have been waiting on new workstations for both personal and professional use.

Its just bad PR, and regardless whether it will have end effects on profits or not, bad PR makes deeper cuts than short-term margins.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Rather than reposting what I just posted in the feedback thread on the topic of our Buyer's Guide recommendation, I'll just link to it here to explain why we did (and still do) count this as an update.

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
first sign of tim cook giving the middle finger to his customers. this would not have happened under steve jobs.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Man I would be freaking out if I was a pro user and I had been waiting for an update and saw this. No Thunderbolt or even USB 3.0 or even updated vid cards would be a troubling thing when you rely on your workhorse to make money.

Rmafive

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
You guys should definitely change it back to 600+ days in the Buyer's Guide. Apple better have something revolutionary planned. The small update makes sense if an incredible update is coming soon! :D

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
Rather than reposting what I just posted in the feedback thread on the topic of our Buyer's Guide recommendation, I'll just link to it here to explain why we did (and still do) count this as an update.

Thanks for linking to your original post. I definitely see the logic of MacRumors' stance.

first sign of tim cook giving the middle finger to his customers. this would not have happened under steve jobs.

Hah! Under Jobs, Apple would not have redacted the "new" label.

Last edited:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I think they may have got a lot of emails on this subject yesterday... !

So Random

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
The joke just keeps going. Some moron must be running things over there. Too difficult to hire a guy to manage the Mac Pro line, I guess? :confused:

Priorities change. That happens in tech. Desktops aren't as hot as they used to be. Moreover, desktop-workstations really aren't as hot as they used to be.

Vote with your wallet. You've got something inside of a year left to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.