Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
I found a list of available 3D cities, in case someone wants to see all of them, it's funny how even cars are 3D modeled

Australia
Melbourne
Sydney

Canada
Montreal
Toronto

Denmark
Copenhagen

Spain
Madrid

US
Alhambra
Atlanta
Austin
Beverly Hills
Boston
Century City
Chicago
Cupertino
Dallas
Denver
Fort Worth
Hollywood
Houston
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Memphis
Miami
Mountain View
New Orleans
Oakland
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Portland
Sacramento
San Diego
San Francisco
San Gabriel
San Jose
San Marino
Santa Monica
Seattle
South Pasadena

UK
Birmingham
Manchester

Last edited:

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Thanks for this I was hoping someone would provide a list., the level of detail really is quite impressive iPhone 4S, bet it looks even better on the iPad.

----------

That's it? How is Google's street view looking now ;)

1) they are two completely different things
2) we are in beta1, do you really think thats it? Its never going to grow? :rolleyes:
3) for the guys that miss streetview theres the app that Google will release.

Reddkryten

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
This raises an interesting question. The 3d view is limited at the moment, I have no doubt that it will be expanded gradually, but how much will it be expanded. Will Apple create 3d maps of every major city and then stop, or will they continue and model smaller cities and so on until the map has total coverage (excluding area 51 etc) of the entire globe?

Frippe

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2007
I really do hope that they let Google submit Google Maps to the Appstore. Because as it is now, Apple's Map is so much worse than Googles.

The Standard look might be somewhat ok over the world, but Satellite and 3D is missing. Basicly no satellite images of Sweden. And even if this is a beta, I highly doubt that they will fill up with good satellite imagery until the release in fall.

It being kind of slow when using Hybrid view I can see it being a beta.

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? :rolleyes:

Although I'm from the UK, No sarcasm. These 3D maps are absolutely superb.

I haven't spent this long on maps since Google got satellite images over my town. Or when Street view went live.

I though Sydney was the only live place so I've been messing with that for ages.

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
1) they are two completely different things
2) we are in beta1, do you really think thats it? Its never going to grow? :rolleyes:
3) for the guys that miss streetview theres the app that Google will release.

Please don't feed the troll....;)

Sacramento also has 3D flyover, I'm sure there are more out there!

Mreddielu

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
I am surprised to see New York City absent on the list. Perhaps its a huge work in progress due to the sheer grandness of the city!

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
I hope Apple actually works on this and brings it to more cities and some African countries. Apple always seems to make the cool things work in two places

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
What I don't understand is these planes have been flying for years I'm sure (because the company Apple bought had already been doing flyovers). So are they still processing the renderings or are they holding them back initially for some reason?
I'd suspect they're holding them back until the app has the initial kinks worked out. If there's an issue with the way the 3D data is loaded into the app I'm sure they'd like to figure that out with only some of the covered areas released rather than having to rework everything.

It's a small scale rollout people, only in beta.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
Thanks for the list! I really love Flyover, its much more useful than streetveiw for me.

They are defiantly leaving lots of places out (for obvious reasons), I found a few videos on YouTube showing places they haven't added yet:

London: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5lM_KefDkg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hoover Dam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlelVaxctI0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Oslo, Norway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSmunh6NIQI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Venice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNr_ToOFvHI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also in this video they say the have over 100 cities mapped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNFz-_fMsg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And for anyone who's interested here is a video of how they make the maps (and it also happens to show they have Kenya mapped): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNemPTHOKWg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ebolamonkey3

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Boston
Hmm, I wonder if Google's going to release a standalone Google Maps app for iOS w/ all of the features like it is on Android.

And I wonder if Apple's going to block it from app store :D

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'd suspect they're holding them back until the app has the initial kinks worked out. If there's an issue with the way the 3D data is loaded into the app I'm sure they'd like to figure that out with only some of the covered areas released rather than having to rework everything.

It's a small scale rollout people, only in beta.

Yeah, there's no way they don't have New York all ready to go. This is clearly a list of cities Apple decided to test with rather than a list of what they actually have.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
This raises an interesting question. The 3d view is limited at the moment, I have no doubt that it will be expanded gradually, but how much will it be expanded. Will Apple create 3d maps of every major city and then stop, or will they continue and model smaller cities and so on until the map has total coverage (excluding area 51 etc) of the entire globe?

Thats my question.

Am I going to be able to go to my neighborhood in Orlando and see 3D views of my house?

----------

would someone be cool enough to check if Dallas, TX has a 3D view and if so, post a few screen pics of it up here?

Nothing for dallas.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
3D mode is not supported on iPhone 4? Sigh, this sucks. Why wouldn't it be able to support 3D? I'm assuming there's not much difference between the 4 and 4S in terms of hardware.

Brenz

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Wow! I honestly have just had my breath taken away. That's fantastic. In what, 5 years time when they have global coverage this is going to be one amazing feature!

5 Years!?

That might be pushing them a bit to cover the whole world. Obviously we are not sure of how much they already have but I wouldn't expect to see the whole world done for a while unless they get a massive fleet of planes and helicopters.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
5 Years!?

That might be pushing them a bit to cover the whole world. Obviously we are not sure of how much they already have but I wouldn't expect to see the whole world done for a while unless they get a massive fleet of planes and helicopters.

Sorry just re-read my post and made a mistake. I meant global cities, not complete global coverage.

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia
would someone be cool enough to check if Dallas, TX has a 3D view and if so, post a few screen pics of it up here?
Sorry, no 3D here. Attached a screen of it anyway. But I'm sure US will be covered pretty soon, unlike russia which will be waiting for it for a long long time...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,266
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.