Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Really? They have them at the Apple store I go to in Clarendon. Display units, posters/display in the window, etc.

It happened the time. They announce something and then say 'available' today. That doesn't mean you are getting one though. Happened with the last MBPros because I had a friend that went over to the store the day they came out and they didn't have them in stock. He had to order through a 3rd party vendor and got it later that week.

Yeap, nada was put up about them! Really annoyed me, I didn't want to buy one,yet, but I wanted to look at one! I'll have to wait till I get the chance to driver there again as it's a good hour away.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Got to play with the new MBP Retina display. It's absolutely gob-smacking. There's simply no going back to a 1440x900 or 1680x1050 MacBook Pro. Text is more vibrant, sharper, clearer, the viewing angles are simply fantastic, and there's more to it than that:

Scrolling up and down a page slowly on an older-screen tech like the MacBook Pros reveals a shimmering to the text as you scroll. This simply is not present on the new 2880x1800 display. It's just amazing.

Also, when you resize for 1920x1200, it still looks fantastic. I wouldn't have known it was scaled at all in a blind test. Gorgeous.

Here's a shot at 1920x1200 I snapped with my phone in the Apple Store. These pages are fully-wide, so no scrolling left and right, at 1920x1200 equivalent resolution, at default Safari settings. It looks fabulous.

21466bc9.jpg

Anyway, this really is the benchmark.

It's a shame I had to use Safari for this, as it's still broken with the new MacBook Pro (no surprise). It was just embarrassing scrolling up and down this page in Safari:

http://au.gamespot.com/news/miyamoto-says-ps-vita-needs-games-6375146

Scrolling is smoother on my iPad than any Mac in Safari these days. (Chrome is fine..)

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Yeap, nada was put up about them! Really annoyed me, I didn't want to buy one,yet, but I wanted to look at one! I'll have to wait till I get the chance to driver there again as it's a good hour away.

Give them a call. They put the display up late last night as I was walking by.

Yesterday when I called them, they said they wouldn't have them on display till the weekend.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I compared the same image at real size (not zoomed in our out) on the 15" retina and non-retina at the Apple Store. As you can see, the retina one shows more of the image:

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl Berg

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Custom MBP-R with 16 gb ram and 512 gb hd and a 2.7 cpu. Ordered it about 1:15pm on launch day!

Was given an estimate of the 21st - the 25th! Thats eight days earlier then I was lamenting waiting and BEFORE I could have picked up a stocked model in my area!

So pumped. Transferring from my 2007 17" MBP now. Waited a long time for this and wish there was a 17" version but I am very happy with this forma factor!

Im just curious and not such an heavy user, but what are you going to use 16gb ram for? :confused:

Flore

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Dubai
If anyone is interested, both Regent Street and Covent Garden stores in London still have stock of the Retina model, just been in there and was about to buy one but left with a 13" and 21.5" iMac instead after deciding that I value removeable/replaceable storage and RAM much more!

I may come to regret it but my new home office set up is making me grin so far!

I just went to Regent Street store at about 7pm - not even display models?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Give them a call. They put the display up late last night as I was walking by.

Yesterday when I called them, they said they wouldn't have them on display till the weekend.

Yeah, the guy did say they should have them by the weekend. I'm working though so I'll have to another time. I will go though, hate Bath cause it's FAR too tempting to clothes shop hahaha.. it needs more gadget stores hehe. Nah I'll go in the next few weeks, the store at Bath is really nice cause it's so big I think. The one in Southampton is horrible because it's about half the width and not as far back and it's ALWAYS packed.

Peter Lorre

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2007
Im just curious and not such an heavy user, but what are you going to use 16gb ram for? :confused:

I do a lot of 3d modeling and play games occasionally. I had my last notebook for 5 years so doing my best to future proof myself as much as possible.

I figured the ram was soldered on so I figured this was worth $200

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Bottom has way less glare, but aside from that the new MagSafe on It makes it blatant :p

Well, more importantly, the retina one shows more of the image because it can.

----------

I never use more than 2GB of RAM out of my available 3, but when you have more RAM, stuff uses more RAM. Having extra RAM actually increases the performance even if your apps don't use it when you have less.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Man, I want that 2,500" retina display behind it.

I've got to agree. Anandtech reviewed the Retina panel (IPS!!!) and it's rather good...

Still, there are other reviews I'm waiting to read, and it's a shame there's no proper ethernet port (Computerworld putting up an article saying how iCloud will be the future for storage and yet we're relying on much slower wireless connectivity to get to the internet... the word "illogical" comes to mind...)

----------

It's not a true 'pro' model if pro model means 'component currency and user upgradeable' at least in some eyes.

I'm not dying on that hill, but others feel that way.

With the high-end specs (512GB SSD, etc) I'd be satisfied... assuming it doesn't heat up higher than 76C (what the cheaper competition does offer, and theirs aren't supposed to be built better). If desktops are being supplanted by mobile Macs, then for creating 3D or video editing in a small business, proper cooling mechanisms are essential and that should be part of the "Pro" definition as well.

----------

I compared the same image at real size (not zoomed in our out) on the 15" retina and non-retina at the Apple Store. As you can see, the retina one shows more of the image:

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

And note the better viewing angles, with more accurate red in the bottom (Retina) picture...

The new model is a mixed bag, but if I had the money I probably would buy it, since color accuracy is rather important...

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
What webpages are currently retina? Meaning they have images in 2x size specifyed in style-sheet that will not zoom 2x. Apple.com? Macrumors.com?

montclaire

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
I just played with one of these machines and side by side compare at apple store on chesnut street in san francisco. All I can say is that it makes looking at non-retina screen soooo yesterday. Asked how are they going to replace the battery or faulty parts under warranty, apple care and genius told me they'll try to fix same day I bring machine in to the store or they give me new one. I don't know what to make of it as I realised that apple store salesmen are not too bright. Anywho....I can definately get away with a based retina model. I'll resell it with no problems before warranty expires.

dalarca

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Maybe I'm crazy but should'nt a laptop be usable outside? This looks about as usable as my Ipad in Direct Light, meaning Not at all.

Control + Option + Command + 8

use that when in outdoor daylight. WAY better. (or do it to someone's Mac when they're not watching as a prank and watch them panic when they return) ;)

b.k.jackson

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2004
Still, there are other reviews I'm waiting to read, and it's a shame there's no proper ethernet port (Computerworld putting up an article saying how iCloud will be the future for storage and yet we're relying on much slower wireless connectivity to get to the internet... the word "illogical" comes to mind...)

For home users the bottleneck to any cloud service is their ISP uplink, not their wireless connectivity - most people aren't close to 300Mbps to the Internet that their 802.11n card can (theoretically) deliver. So loss of an Ethernet port shouldn't be that big a deal. For other users (myself included) that have to jack into a Data Center or office location then it's dongle time :)

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Really?? I don't remember the last time Apple launched a NEW product and didn't have any in the store for demo? They don't even have any posters or pictures or information up about the Retina models at all......

I remember this happening when the new design of the Macbok Air came out. Went to the nearest Apple Store and they had the first gen Airs on display. Same thing happened with the unibody mac mini and even the hockey puck Apple TV.

MEgaMacMan

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
what a very arrogant point of view with no merit

I'm still not sure what to think about them replacing the 17" MBP workhorse with a non-upgradable high-res 15" Macbook Air. Skinny is neat, but not really the #1 priority of the "pro" set.

You sound afraid of change. for a start the 17" was never that popular despite the belief that it was, after all it would be a huge mistake to drop your most popular profiting product. The 17" was great but popular no.

Firstly, it's not an Air, unless you meant that as an insult to the new macbook pros capabilities. Yes, it's thiner and lighter but it's still got the macbook pro look in a more condensed form. Pro's do not want heavy machines, they want light machines that are powerful.

what's so bad about it not being upgradable, get the 16gb ram upgrade with the 512gb ssd and what's left to upgrade, nothing, so I don't see that as a problem at all.

since you seem to know all about a "PRO's" priorities, maybe you should mention the clarity of the screen, the increased contrast and the detailed blacks which will help with video and still image editing. No you wouldn't would you.
Lastly you refer to the 17" as a workhorse implying that the new retina macbook pro isn't. Well, just to clarify, it's more powerful in just about every way compared to the 17". SO I guess it's not a work horse, it's a work T-rex.

as for losing those couple of inches screen real-estate. Who cares, it's lighter more portable and if I want a huge screen I can just plug it into a 30" monitor and still have more screen size than the 17" macbook pro.

I like the 17" macbook pro and I had one, but i'm sick of the superiority complex from people thinking they are better than everyone else for having a bigger macbook. that may have been true in the past but not now.

This retina macbook is the best macbook pro ever built, so you people trying to be negative about it before you've even tried it, are either impossible to please, jealous you can't afford one or your just so stuck with your beliefs your unwilling to change your way of thinking.

i'm sick of people complaining about a products shortcomings before they have even tried the product out.

rant over

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think you understand what the repairability score is. "Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)."

I know very well what it means. it's the score of how easy it is for any mug off the streets to tinker with his stuff.

----------

They probably just put a regular HDTV in there and TVs usually don't have glass covering them.

Nope. It's a graphic. I saw one today when I had to go pick up a few more iPads for the office. it's basically all cardboard with a plastic 'screen' over an image.

Lancelot9201

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
You Better Check Out "Ifixit" Before Buying This.

From the teardown performed & the report they wrote you might be disappointed to hear that the screen is molded into the top, the HDD is not upgradeable & the connector is proprietary, the memory is not upgradeable & the batteries are glued to the case. So it would appear that we are now being forced to pay Apples outrageous prices for more memory or a larger HDD. Also, any battery replacement must be done by apple, which we all know will cost a ton..(the iFitIt tech got a bad shock trying to get them out)

I always wondered what they'd do to force us to pay $200 to upgrade from 8gb to 16gb of memory, now I know.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
This retina macbook is the best macbook pro ever built, so you people trying to be negative about it before you've even tried it, are either impossible to please, jealous you can't afford one or your just so stuck with your beliefs your unwilling to change your way of thinking.

"Best" is a hard phrase to use.

Best detailed screen, Best for thinness perhaps, Best for USB speed.

However if things are taken away, lets say a DVD drive and you, in your business with clients use the DVD drive, on the move, in conjunction with your work, then it's plainly not the best.
It's like me saying, I've removed the rear two seats from my car and made the engine 10% faster, it's the best car I've ever made. Not if you are used to carrying 4 people it's not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.