Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
I've had MacBook pro 17 inchers for 5 years now. But this is what I want to upgrade to: iMac 27" retina with 16gb memory and desktop class processor. It'll beat the pants off my first gen i7 mbp.

The current iMac 27in display is already near to what most would call 'RETINA' and, if you look at what's happening in Korea, I don't see any large form factor LCD panels for sale - indeed, there is a big buzz about 100Hz refresh rates on the existing panels Apple use and costs for the panel itself are just over US$150 - me. I'd rather a 30in iMac based on present ISP screen with built in motion sensors based on Kinect and Leap Motion technology.

eh270

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
JUST ordered one of the refurbished 3.4GHz i7 iMacs for $1869, as I'd been holding out too long already. If they announce these in the fall, it will only bother me if it's a retina iMac, which seems extraordinarily unlikely.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Royalties my a$$. This is nothing new and is speculation.

That's what I posted yesterday. I demand ROYALTIES!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15019854#post15019854

I am expecting the 2013 iMac redesign to include a high-resolution panel, the vibrating pen patent as an extra input device and the foldable iMac patent thrown together. This will be a direct attack and answer to MS's Metro interface.
I'd e very surprised if that all comes in one machine.

I have to admit though that this idea that Apple has to go with a 2X resolution increase seems to be bogus. There is plenty of evidence in the SDK to indicate otherwise. So maybe a more modest resolution increase will get them to where they want to be.
http://www.cultofmac.com/169875/what...of-everything/

In 2012 I am expecting a spec bump to USB 3, Ivy Bridge and Nvidia for the iMac. It would be silly to keep the specifications different from the MBP

Except that NVidia is pretty sucky as a GPU. NVidia wouldn't even be my second choice.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Good ol Macrumors.. Yesterday it was a dead cert that new iMacs were not coming until "Later in 2013" Now they are around the corner?

I wouldn't mind all the rumours if you guys could somehow manage to cobble together some rather less contradictory ones ;)

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I have a serious question for iMac users (a.k.a. I'm not trying to troll). Why do you prefer an iMac (all-in-one) to something else such as a Mac Mini or Mac Pro? Do you feel the Mac Mini isn't suitable for your computing needs and a Mac Pro is too expensive?
Personally, I wouldn't want computer parts connected to such a beautiful screen because I feel like the parts would become obsolete way before the screen ever did. I'm just curious what your reasoning is

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
JUST ordered one of the refurbished 3.4GHz i7 iMacs for $1869, as I'd been holding out too long already. If they announce these in the fall, it will only bother me if it's a retina iMac, which seems extraordinarily unlikely.

You should have waited another month - both the Nvidia and AMD mobile GPU solutions offer a huge increase of power over the existing GPU and ship standard with 2G VRAM - further, Leap Motion launches its technology at the tears end which will be a whizz for games or design on the iMac - a revamped iMac that is.

What's another month, if its not out by middle of July, then invest in a refurbished unit.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
For those of you who are anxiously awaiting an update of the iMac, I have a different question: why? What does it do for you that a MacBook Pro and a display would do for you?

I don't see any features that the iMac has that the MacBook doesn't have. Please educate me.

As it stands right now, today, yes the new Retina MacBook Pro is faster than the current iMac. But, before Monday's announcement, the top of the line iMac was a bit faster than its comparable MacBook Pro.

I get what you're saying, but if Apple updates the iMac with the same level of hardware it just included in the new MBP, the iMac should see i7 processors with higher clock speeds, maybe 32 GB of RAM as an option, and a more powerful GPU with the option of 2GB of VRAM.

So once the playing field is even, the iMac will be a bit faster and you will get that power at a lower cost than the MBP because you're not paying for the portability.

Hope this helps.

tonymillion

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2006
London
I have a serious question for iMac users (a.k.a. I'm not trying to troll). Why do you prefer an iMac (all-in-one) to something else such as a Mac Mini or Mac Pro? Do you feel the Mac Mini isn't suitable for your computing needs and a Mac Pro is too expensive?
Personally, I wouldn't want computer parts connected to such a beautiful screen because I feel like the parts would become obsolete way before the screen ever did. I'm just curious what your reasoning is

I had an iMac for a while, now I'm a 27Inch Cinema Display & Laptop guy - I dont really see why the iMac still exists.

BobCollins

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Sunnyvale CA USA
We don't buy to wait for something to break down..you have to send it for repair anyhow son what difference does it make for the UPS man to pickup a iMac or macbook?

Major benefits; screen size (duh)
Cooling
Faster than MacBooks
Cheaper
I/O

Repairability has a direct connection with repair cost, no matter who does it.

Screen size: with a MacBook you attach whatever size display you want.

Faster: when I have looked at same generation Macs, the speeds were comparable.

Cheaper: No.

I/O: what are you referring too? The only "I/O" difference is the iMac doesn't have a SD Card slot.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
The silence with respect to the Mini is frustrating.

I really want to see th Mini morphed into a respectable desktop machine. The lack of interest in the desktop from Apple is very frustrating. Just as the iMac needs a major overhaul and a rethinking of purpose so does the Mini. Or Apple could say screw it and make an XMac.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Might see iMac and Mac mini Spec bumps (Processors, USB 3.0, Etc...) with the release of Mountain lion.

iMac refresh will be announced and released next month along with Mountain Lion.

Came here to post this, we cracked the code! :)

Why release an OS and settle for a minor press event when you can release awesome new desktop computers along with it! It was the retina MBP that got front page of the NY Times the other day, they can do it again when Mountain Lion is released.

I've been waiting for a new iMac, too, and was going to settle for a new MBA to tide me over since it benches just about the same as the current $1199 iMac, but now I think I'll just wait until ML hits and get what I really want.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I'd e very surprised if that all comes in one machine.

I have to admit though that this idea that Apple has to go with a 2X resolution increase seems to be bogus. There is plenty of evidence in the SDK to indicate otherwise. So maybe a more modest resolution increase will get them to where they want to be.

Except that NVidia is pretty sucky as a GPU. NVidia wouldn't even be my second choice.

What's wrong with a 670m or 680m

ezdz

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
For those of you who are anxiously awaiting an update of the iMac, I have a different question: why? What does it do for you that a MacBook Pro and a display would do for you?

I don't see any features that the iMac has that the MacBook doesn't have. Please educate me.

I have a several year old iMac that had its hard disk fail. Repairing it was such a miserable task that I just decided to run off an external disk as my main disk. Grrr. With the MacBook Pro (not Air or Retina), maintenance is easy and I wouldn't have has a problem replacing the hard disk.

Unless there is something I am missing here, I cannot imagine buying another iMac.

The iMac is considerably cheaper than a macbook pro + display, so there's that. Personally I've been using an old macbook pro and a cinema display for a while, but I find running the laptop with the lid closed tends to make it hotter than it should be.

nicklaz0r

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
Sweden

Not an iMac user ( waiting to switch to the 2012 imac which will be my first mac ever) but here is why I'm choosing the iMac;

Mac mini - Not powerful enough, no "built in screen" (still a pretty neat computer though, but not for a user like me)

MacBook Pro - The iMac is/will probably always be the more powerful computer (excluding Mac Pro). I like the bigger screen, the hardware, the looks of it, the feel that you're completley surrounded by your work. I give that up for portability, not to mention, it's also cheaper than a MBP, (AND Mac Pro).

Mac Pro - Expensive and overkill for my needs. I dont need to buy a high res screen with a iMac, it's just right there!

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong

Because as you state, its a 'All-in-One' and is aesthetically pleasing.

I've just looked at a 30in Dell Ultraspack LCD monitor - same panel as current iMac - and used they are about US$1000, it would be great to add a Mac Pro to this, but heck, I don't have Mac Pro money - the Mac Mini is a great little performer as far as being a media centre is concerned, but underpowered in terms of CPU and GPU - heck, if they could put a decent Sandy Bridge quad i7 in the MM and the existing AMD 6970m GPU with 1G VRAM, you have a bloody wonderful little machine that's even good for games - shame Apple won't go with a Mac Mini Pro as I'd be really tempted to go for a larger LCD display with a supercharged Mac Mini.

sebi247

macrumors member
May 7, 2012

iMac for me: design, loudness, clean desk (everything I need is in front of me), powerful machine, perfect display :rolleyes:

oomingmak

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Hard drive

Speculation on hard drive size options for a new iMac?

I've been holding out in hopes a 4TB option is available. If that's not in the cards I don't need to wait and will go with something stitched together.

mdunlap

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Because the MacBook doesnt have a 27" display. Thats it.

I have a several year old iMac that had its hard disk fail. Repairing it was such a miserable task that I just decided to run off an external disk as my main disk. Grrr. With the MacBook Pro (not Air or Retina), maintenance is easy and I wouldn't have has a problem replacing the hard disk.

Unless there is something I am missing here, I cannot imagine buying another iMac.

BrightonMB

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
One question - why does the 'compare' link on the (barely) new Mac Pros compare them to a 2.8GHz 27" iMac that doesn't seem to exist?

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008

For myself, I have a place in my home where my computer resides. If I need something outside of that space I have an iPad/Kindle. Work provides all the computer I need/am allowed for work. On trips I need so little more than what an iPad can offer or even an iPhone can cover in a jiffy. (hell both can take pictures, the mbp cannot)

If I were to look into the homes of friends with laptops its quite common to see them never leave one room. Better yet the iMac has a beautiful LARGE display, something no notebook has unless you want more cords and such

Spitfire411

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011

Cost mostly. I have an iPad, and both my wife and I have iPhones, so as far as couch surfing or mobile access goes, we're covered. I need a rig store my iTunes and edit photos in Aperture. I picked up a refurb iMac for hundreds of dollars less than a MacBook Pro and get a 21" monitor to boot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.