Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
Hi guys,

Since WWDC didn't announced any new iMac but a really nice new MacBook Pro with Retina Display, I'm in a tough situation.

I absolutely want a Mac (my first one ever) and I was thinking getting the 2012 iMac and I'm saving my money since december but since a rumor pointed out 2013 for the new iMac, I am thinking about getting the MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

However, is the rumor about no new iMac until 2013 trustworthy? Should I wait or order the MacBook Pro with Retina Display?

Thanks.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Really depends on what you're using it for.. an iMac and a Retina MBP don't really serve the same purpose.

FWIW, I trust the 2013 rumor with regards to a new design.. that's what the quote actually said. I still find a refresh in the next few weeks to be likely.

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
I will use it mainly to do some web browsing, using a lot of apps, syncing my iPad/iPhone, medias, blogging, etc.

And for the rumor, this is what prevents me from buying the MacBook Pro Retina and I really don't know what to do... It has been 7 months that I'm waiting for buying a Mac.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I will use it mainly to do some web browsing, using a lot of apps, syncing my iPad/iPhone, medias, blogging, etc.

Both machines are capable of all that. At first glance you'd probably get more value out of the real estate of the iMac than the Retina and portability of the MBP. But you'd be fine either way.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
FWIW, I trust the 2013 rumor with regards to a new design.. that's what the quote actually said. I still find a refresh in the next few weeks to be likely.
No, the quote was "new models and new designs...in 2013."

Pogue reports:

"...new models and new designs are under way, probably for release in 2013."

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
If you don't need it now, wait. If you need it now, buy what you like out of what is available.

Don't wait to buy something you need but don't buy something just to buy it.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
No, the quote was "new models and new designs...in 2013."

Pogue reports:

"New model" would mean something besides a Mini, iMac, or Pro.

"New design" would be re-imagining any of the above.

Spec bump is neither.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
"New model" would mean something besides a Mini, iMac, or Pro.

"New design" would be re-imagining any of the above.

Spec bump is neither.
Um, no. The quote was specifically referring to the iMac and Mac Pro. And, Apple considers a "spec bump" to be a new model.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
According to New York Times tech columnist David Pogue, Apple says that isn’t the case. Chatting with a company executive after the keynote, Pogue heard that “new models and new designs” were underway for both the iMac and Mac Pro, for probable release in 2013.

That’s bad news if you’re in the market for a desktop in 2012 and were hoping for some redesigned models. Apple will presumably update the specs on the iMac at some point in the near future, as the all-in-one could start running new Intel Ivy Bridge processors, but you may be stuck with the current design for the rest of the year.

Taken from: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers...esh-imac-mac-pro-desktop-designs-in-2013/8267

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
Wow, I've never read such a bold prediction...

He says these three things are possible:

A) Apple doesn't update iMac in 2012
B) Apple releases a minor spec bump in 2012
C) Apple releases a major revision in 2012

I don't think its possible for him to be wrong!

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
According to New York Times tech columnist David Pogue, Apple says that isn’t the case. Chatting with a company executive after the keynote, Pogue heard that “new models and new designs” were underway for both the iMac and Mac Pro, for probable release in 2013.

That’s bad news if you’re in the market for a desktop in 2012 and were hoping for some redesigned models. Apple will presumably update the specs on the iMac at some point in the near future, as the all-in-one could start running new Intel Ivy Bridge processors, but you may be stuck with the current design for the rest of the year.

Taken from: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers...esh-imac-mac-pro-desktop-designs-in-2013/8267

Thank you for the full quote, which positively does not rule out a spec bump...

To think that Apple would allow their entire line of desktops to languish for 2+ years is pretty silly.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
Thank you for the full quote, which positively does not rule out a spec bump...
That's Pogue's speculation, not the Apple exec's. Again, be clear on what the Apple exec actually said, not reporter speculation:

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
That's Pogue's speculation, not the Apple exec's. Again, be clear on what the Apple exec actually said, not reporter speculation:

Ok. You are right, a spec bump in the near future is total speculation. Move along now.

Crazy82

macrumors member
May 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Wow, I've never read such a bold prediction...

He says these three things are possible:

A) Apple doesn't update iMac in 2012
B) Apple releases a minor spec bump in 2012
C) Apple releases a major revision in 2012

I don't think its possible for him to be wrong!

A) Apple doesn't update iMac in 2012; Apple did it with the MacPro last year so why not wait 2 years with the iMac!
B) Apple releases a minor spec bump in 2012; I hop so but i am worried.
C) Apple releases a major revision in 2012; Not likely but if thay do sign me up for it!

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
Ok. You are right, a spec bump in the near future is total speculation. Move along now.
Correct. 100% speculation from someone who is not privy to the facts. The Apple exec reportedly said 2013. Like everyone else here, I hope it's sooner, but the only truly informed statement we have on the record does not support it.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
The front page has Geekbench results for the new MBPs and MBAs. It shows that the leaked MBP benchmarks were legitimate. This suggests that the leaked iMac benchmark with Ivy Bridge is also legitimate.

I think that you'll see a silent spec update sometime soon to Ivy Bridge and some Nvidia mobile card, probably faster than the one in the MBP, and they're planning a redesign of the iMac in 2013.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
The front page has Geekbench results for the new MBPs and MBAs. It shows that the leaked MBP benchmarks were legitimate. This suggests that the leaked iMac benchmark with Ivy Bridge is also legitimate.

I think that you'll see a silent spec update sometime soon to Ivy Bridge and some Nvidia mobile card, probably faster than the one in the MBP, and they're planning a redesign of the iMac in 2013.

Great info. I was wondering about the leaked benchmarks.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
We may be onto something, but there are just too many conflicting reports all over the place. Redesign only in 2013 etc etc.

I, like forty2j, consider a redesign and a spec bump to be two different things entirely. I'll take the spec bump this year as I've been waiting quite a while and could use a new iMac soon.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I, like forty2j, consider a redesign and a spec bump to be two different things entirely. I'll take the spec bump this year as I've been waiting quite a while and could use a new iMac soon.

That would be my assumption as well. I am expecting the redesign to include a high-resolution panel, the vibrating pen patent as an extra input device and the foldable iMac patent thrown together, which will be next year. This will be a direct attack and answer to MS's Metro interface.

http://www.cultofmac.com/169875/what-apples-vibrating-pen-tells-us-about-the-future-of-everything/

I am expecting a spec bump to USB 3, Ivy Bridge and Nvidia this year for the iMac. It would be silly to keep the specifications different from the MBP and it would not be good business. How are the apple store "geniuses" going to explain these differences to Joe Customer?

Joegonk

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
Same boat

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've been ready to buy an iMac since January, but held off, seeing that iMacs refreshed after an average of 270-odd days (suggesting an upgrade was then imminent).

Then Intel processor was delayed. A disappointment there, but okay. Then Ivy Bridge hit, but word came that Apple would take its time and update at WWDC. Fine. Then WWDC came, and went.

At this point I'm not sure what to do.

My current iMac is pretty long in the tooth. I brought it in September of 2007, right after an update. I'm a stickler about this. A piece of technology is like a piece of fruit - it starts going bad as soon as it comes off the vine. To get the best value you've got to get in while the thing is fresh.

Plus, I brought my first iPod ten days before a major update and it killed me. Lesson learned.

So timing is critical in this decision and it seems there's no good answer.

The iMac is way overdue for a generational update. But when? It's suggested there will be an update "next year". What does that mean? April 2013? August?

Are we looking at >700 days between updates? Is Apple gently informing us that the "Post-PC" world has dawned? Are they legitimately still in the desktop business?

My money and I are still in the desktop market, and will be for some time. Is a break with Apple coming? When is it time to get out? And what to do then?

So do I buy now? No.

Wait for a major update? Unapealing. My machine is old. I want to play Minecraft, for God's sake.

Wait for the minor Ivy Bridge update? Also unappealing. If I went for that now I'd be sweating the days until a big redesign hit. If that had come out yesterday I don't know that I would have gone for it.

Wait for Windows 8 and join the darkside? I keep reading they actually tried this time. Maybe. But I've been a Mac guy since '91, so probably not.

Hackintosh? Honestly, it may be beyond my technical skills, but there is definitely something appealing there. This bears further investigation, at least.

A refurb might cut it. I'm not seeing any great deals currently.

A used machine? Meh. But I'll keep an open mind.

I would prefer to give Apple my money. As I have done so many times in the past.

But it seems our windows of opportunity are not lining up.

Any options I'm missing?

Joegonk

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
But to answer your question, gjac0m, don't buy something you don't want just because it's all they have. Mac Books are awesome, but they aren't desktops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.