Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Again, my point was: From an end user's perspective, Java is close to irrelevant nowadays. I don't care if it is still widely used in the back office (programming languages and habits can always change anyway).

From an end user perspective, a Mac is close to irrelevant too. In the iStuff era, creating content is irrelevant. All an end user need is a good consuming platform.

Java is very relevant in the production side. Almost everything a browser runs is generated by server-side applications written primarily in PHP, Java, .NET, Python and Ruby. Also, a lot of useful mobile apps are written in Java ME (of course, not the iPhone ones which doesn't support it). Java SE (standalone desktop apps) are successful in the academy and corporations.

Bear in mind that a Mac is generally a workstation, focused on the production side while iStuff devices are for the end-user.

DoubleDose

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Damn it. Updated and now it's flagging my Final Cut server app as a threat with no way to allow it. Any ideas? other than not using FCS :p?

Renzatic

Suspended
Interestingly, it seems like I am not part of "lots of people" - Java has been deactivated on my Safari for months now, and I haven't even noticed it. :rolleyes:

Minecraft is available for iOS and does NOT require Java on the client side...not that I will ever play that POS, of course.

Again, my point was: From an end user's perspective, Java is close to irrelevant nowadays. I don't care if it is still widely used in the back office (programming languages and habits can always change anyway).

Have you ever made a post here that wasn't some vitriolic diatribe on how something is stupid or how all people are idiots? Have you ever gone three posts in a row without using a :rolleyes: emote?

Why are you so internet angry?

waldobushman

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Updating now. I use JDeveloper with Mac OS X which requires a symbolic link from classes.jar to the nonexistent on Mac rt.jar. The OpenJDK Mac OS X initiative is using the traditional jar names, so I hope this persists when Apple goes 7. (which it should since they are using OpenJDK)

Not without problems, but openJDK version 7 does install on osx. I installed OpenJDK immediately after the hole was plugged to ensure I would not be so vulnerable. No need to wait for Apple.

Paul McG

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I wonder if anyone is working on Retina support for Java UI bits and pieces.
The high res of the Retina Macbook Pro could be attractive to people using the various Java based IDEs but not if the rendering is rubbish.

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
Not without problems, but openJDK version 7 does install on osx. I installed OpenJDK immediately after the hole was plugged to ensure I would not be so vulnerable. No need to wait for Apple.

I know. I have the source and JTReg installed locally. I really wanted to contribute whatever I could to the effort of porting. Unfortunately, I've had no time. :(

The product at my company isn't designed to work on JDK 7, and we've already had problems with devs doing things like switching on strings (only a feature in JDK 7) and breaking the product in prod. Also, JDev is extremely finicky. So, I had to stick with Apple's 6 as my default.

cprof

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Bank out of sync

Installed upgrades, now java applets for banking site to scan and deposit checks now not working. Evidently no one told the bank that it needed to update its side of java too.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Have you ever made a post here that wasn't some vitriolic diatribe on how something is stupid or how all people are idiots? Have you ever gone three posts in a row without using a :rolleyes: emote?

Why are you so internet angry?

Me, angry? Where have I said that "people are idiots" or whatever nonsense you're blabbing about? My post was about the irrelevance of Java for an end user, something that nobody here is able to demonstrate against (unless you like to play Java games, of course).

Your reaction seems pretty emotional to me - you should take a green tea and go to bed, Sir.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Me, angry? Where have I said that "people are idiots" or whatever nonsense you're blabbing about? My post was about the irrelevance of Java for an end user, something that nobody here is able to demonstrate against (unless you like to play Java games, of course).

Your reaction seems pretty emotional to me - you should take a green tea and go to bed, Sir.

I personally haven't seen you demonstrate for the irrelevance of Java to the end-user. You've only demonstrated that you've got it disabled/removed on your machine, which has absolutely nothing to do with relevance. There's a lot of stuff I don't use on my machines either. To generalize from you to "the end user" is rather a large step, no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.