Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Four days before the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro was introduced, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo released a report claiming that Apple would launch the machine alongside the then-current MacBook Pro line rather than as a direct replacement.

Kuo's report turned out to be nearly exactly on point, as was the case with his April report claiming that Apple would discontinue the 17-inch MacBook Pro, and so it pays to revisit his Retina MacBook line claims to see what the future might hold.

In that report, Kuo claimed that the 13-inch MacBook Pro would likely arrive in the August timeframe at the earliest, with the machine's release being held back by display yield and challenges with heat dissipation in the smaller body.
[W]e don't expect the new 13" MacBook to be available until after August this year, as it has limited space for thermal dissipation and uses a lower-yield retinal display than the 15" version.
kuo_retina_macbook_launch_windows.jpg

Figure from Kuo's June 7 report with estimated launch info for 2012 MacBook lineup
With the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro now available, Kuo has released a new report taking another look at Apple's plans for the 13-inch version, and AppleInsider reports that he is now estimating a September production ramp for the machine with an early October launch to follow.
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI shared in a note with AppleInsider on Thursday that he expects Apple to ramp up production of a 13-inch next-generation MacBook Pro with Retina display in September. That would allow the product to hit stores in early October, in time for the holiday shopping season.
In his note last week, Kuo predicted that the 15-inch Retina model would carry a thickness of 19 millimeters (0.75 inches), while the 13-inch model could come in slightly thinner at 18 millimeters (0.71 inches). But the 15-inch model Apple actually introduced already comes in at the 18 millimeter figure, so it is unclear whether Apple would be able trim any additional thickness off for the 13-inch model.

Potentially supporting the idea of a 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro being in testing is the discovery of a "MacBookPro10,2" listing in the results database for the battery utility app MiniBatteryLogger. The 15-inch MacBook Pro carries a designation of "MacBookPro10,1", and while the MacBookPro10,2 designation could presumably have been faked, there are several indications that it may be legitimate.

macbookpro102_battery.jpg

First, the database entry appeared on April 25, well ahead of much specific information on the Retina MacBook Pro that might have helped create a legitimate-looking fake entry. Second, the machine's battery registers a design capacity of 6580 mAh, roughly 14% greater than the 5770 mAh battery found in the non-Retina 13-inch MacBook Pro. By comparison, the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro's 8460 mAh battery has roughly 22.5% greater capacity than the 6900 mAh battery in the non-Retina model.

While the battery capacity ratios between corresponding Retina and non-Retina MacBook Pro batteries would not be exactly the same if this MacBookPro10,2 is indeed a genuine 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, they are at least in the same range and one could imagine that a smaller display and lack of a discrete graphics card could shrink the amount of capacity boost needed to power a 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro.

Article Link: 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Coming in October?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
That would be really nice. The 13" is actually a really nice size.
Also, $2000+ is a bit too much for some people to fork out on a laptop.

urbanj

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Now this I would buy.

The 15" is way too pricy for me for what it is.

Last edited:

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
Wow, Macbook Air 13", Macbook Pro 13", or Retina Macbook Pro 13"?

That'd be very confusing. At least now there's only max 2 variations of each size.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009

That'd be very confusing. At least now there's only max 2 variations of each size.

OMG 3 choices for a 13 inch laptop, that is really confusing, poor customers :rolleyes:

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Uh oh. Right when I was about to order a 13" air.
Looks like I will hold off a little longer to see what's cooking at apple

zeromeus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
SOCAL
I was so looking forward to a thinner, lighter 13" MBP

I don't necessarily need retina, but I was really hoping for the 13" MBP to come lighter and thinner. I was so disappointed with the announcement and went ahead with the purchase of the 13" MBA. So... I'm good for another 3-5 years.... unless Apple decides to announce the release of a 13" thinner, lighter MBP on Monday.

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
My guess is the 13inch retina macbook pro price would be half way between the regular macbook pro, and the 15inch retina macbook pro. It'll probably be in the $1500 price range.$999 for 13inch MacBook Air, $1199 13inch regular MacBook Pro, $1599 13inchRetina MacBook Pro, and $2199 15inch Retina MacBook Pro. That's my guess on the prices if a 13inch Retina MacBook Pro does come out.

CarlHeanerd

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
Adams County, PA
This would be nice, but seems premature. What low-heat / energy-efficient candidate is there for a GPU that wouldn't buckle under high resolution displays? I can't imagine the Intel 4000 doing the job without strain when under higher loads, especially when rendering, using OpenCL, or gaming; hardly "pro" performance. The issue is going to be further compounded if they intend on making it just as thin as the 15" model. It just seems impractical right now.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I would definitely buy it as long as its resolution is higher than 1280x800

It's a retina 13" MB Pro, of course it's going to be higher than 1280x800. If this comes to fruition, my guess it'll be 2560x1600 resolution. This is definitely good news. I'd prefer a 13" Pro over a 15" Pro simply for the portability.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
This is the machine I was waiting for. I almost broke down and got myself a 13" Air but... I thought this might be coming.

I sense it will double the 1280x800 since doubling the 1440x900 on the MBA would give it a resolution identical to the 15" MBP. That just doesn't seem likely.

I'll be ordering one of these the second they come out.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
This would be nice, but seems premature. What low-heat / energy efficient candidate is there for a GPU that wouldn't groan under high resolution displays? I can't imagine the Intel 4000 doing the job without strain under higher loads.... hardly "pro". The issue is going to be further compounded if they intend on making it just as thin as the 15" model.

As long as you're not into gaming, the Intel 4000 is capable of driving retina displays.

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
How about a 17" !!!

I can see the 13" retina becoming very popular when it comes out (I'll probably get one for my wife when we need to upgrade her computer).

But what I want is a 17" MBP w/RD! The old 17" MBP is a big beast, but I love it because of the power and all the screen space. A 17" RD would be the perfect computer for me!!

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
It's a retina 13" MB Pro, of course it's going to be higher than 1280x800. If this comes to fruition, my guess it'll be 2560x1600 resolution. This is definitely good news. I'd prefer a 13" Pro over a 15" Pro simply for the portability.

Yes, but the problem with the Retina display is you still only get an effective 1280x800 resolution, except for some apps that MAY take advantage of the full resolution in full screen.

1280x800 is WAY too low for a 13" laptop. My 11" Air has higher resolution. I know Retina "looks nice", but, c'mon...

zeromeus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
SOCAL

OMG there are THREE different 13" Macbooks... whatever shall I do...? I'm so confused now! :rolleyes: How dare Apple give us 30 different 3.5" iPhones, 16 different 9.7" iPads, and now this... ! :rolleyes:

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Is Retina Display an IGZO panel?

Would this be using the Sharp's IGZO technology? I'm quite optimistic about it because of its claim to decrease power consumption by 90%! Imagine getting a full 10 hour battery instead of 7 while having a retina display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.