Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Interesting that NYC isn't on the list. They are probably still trying to figure out how to show it without it crashing the phone, lol. That, and I guess its tough to get permission to do the fly overs.

Does Las Vegas have an optional nighttime view? That would be pretty cool.

frozzbite

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
a quick question for those who are using iOS 6 now.

How does flyover live up to streetview. Say I am looking for a local store along the street, any chances flyover can help?

May seem like a noob question but i'm really wondering

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia

How does flyover live up to streetview. Say I am looking for a local store along the street, any chances flyover can help?

No, you will ask Siri about local stores instead of trying to see something from top. And how will you understand its a store by watching it from the top? By small advertisment on the building ner the ground? With both streetview and flyover it would be a pain. Flyover would be even painer due to low resolution textures on building so reading is almost impossible.
Googling and siring still exists, remember? And are still often much better then other ways to gain info no matter how other ways graphically better.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry just re-read my post and made a mistake. I meant global cities, not complete global coverage.

I would imagine so. It’s like street view, it started out in major US cities, expanding to increasingly less populated areas. The same pattern was followed around the world and now on trains and hiking trails. 3D view while probably more expensive is actually easier & faster to implement than street view.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
what they do have done looks great but they have tons and tons of catching up to do.

I can see this maps delaying the whole launch/iphone5.

I guess there is the chance they already have a lot more and just have not uploaded it to their maps servers tho.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
5 Years!?

That might be pushing them a bit to cover the whole world. Obviously we are not sure of how much they already have but I wouldn't expect to see the whole world done for a while unless they get a massive fleet of planes and helicopters.

It'll be quicker than by car. ;)

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
i really wonder what made them decide upon choosing copenhagen as one of the few or the only european city? not that i complain :D

now if they manage to map out the world... that would be the best.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Thanks for this I was hoping someone would provide a list., the level of detail really is quite impressive iPhone 4S, bet it looks even better on the iPad.

----------

1) they are two completely different things
2) we are in beta1, do you really think thats it? Its never going to grow? :rolleyes:
3) for the guys that miss streetview theres the app that Google will release.

The 3D mapping seems to actually be more sluggish on the new iPad than on my iPhone 4S - my guess is that it's related to the higher resolution of the screen, so it's pushing more pixels around. That being said, it is still far more impressive on the iPad because of the larger screen. I was looking around San Francisco and the Transamerica Pyramid really pops in 3d mode.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
You didn't expect "Apple maps" to come out and blow Google out of the water from launch, did you?

Yes. What's the point of replacing a gMaps with an inferior product?
As for 'reducing dependence on Google', surely a year or two wouldn't have hurt to get this a bit better?

For example, there are now no public transport routes. I used the old maps all the time to map out my route, and it even gave me bus times.

I know it's only a beta, but betas are usually only for optimising software and working our any bugs. Can't think of many features in past iOSs that have been introduced in betas.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
With the loss of street view and the apparent lack of 3D cities I'm gonna be somewhat frustrated by Apple maps I think, seems that its a reduction of features.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK

The detail is almost as good in places. This is zoomed to the max in Vegas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 405

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
How long does it take to make a flyover for one city? Apple should make some deals with airlines so they can get more pictures.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

Apple has partnered with Yelp as a replacement for streetview.
Where streetview used to be, you now get a slideshow of images from Yelp, assuming that the address has an associated Yelp review.
You don't always get an exterior photo but it's all we get for now.
Addresses without a Yelp review just show a satellite image.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co

The detail is almost as good in places. This is zoomed to the max in Vegas.

Street View of the same area, infinitely better quality and much more useful:

x7gvbl.jpg

GACS2l.jpg

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
No, you will ask Siri about local stores instead of trying to see something from top. And how will you understand its a store by watching it from the top? By small advertisment on the building ner the ground? With both streetview and flyover it would be a pain. Flyover would be even painer due to low resolution textures on building so reading is almost impossible.
Googling and siring still exists, remember? And are still often much better then other ways to gain info no matter how other ways graphically better.

Unless you live in Japan. Street View is indispensable to me in finding job sites as the streets here are a mess - no grids, just haphazard layout (dead-ends, bizarre angles, and no names) ... With Street View I can see where I need to go before I even leave my house; I haven't been lost ONCE since I got my iPhone, and I do lots of traveling for my job. Flyby or whatever Apple wants to call it would be worthless here, by comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.