Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we noted earlier this week as part of our roundup of device compatibility for various iOS 6 features, several of Apple's new mapping features including Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation are not officially supported on the iPhone 4, much less the iPhone 3GS.

ios_6_maps_flyover.jpg

But as reported by SlashGear, a member of Russian site iguides has posted videos [Google translation] showing the 3D maps and Flyover working on a jailbroken iPhone 4. The poster has also included instructions for adding the functionality, although the procedure is not yet a completely straightforward one.

Apple has historically placed hardware restrictions on certain features of its iOS release, based at least in part on how well older hardware handles the specific features. In other cases like Siri on the iPhone 4S, Apple's limitations may have more to do with differentiation and marketing. But it seems reasonable to think that 3D map performance on the pre-A5 devices like the iPhone 4 simply doesn't meet Apple's requirements, and thus the company has elected not to officially support the feature on that hardware.

Regardless of the reasons for Apple's limitations on mapping features, hackers and developers will undoubtedly continue working on ways to circumvent those restrictions, and we will likely see other features like turn-by-turn navigation also come to older devices for those willing to tweak their devices to enable them.

Article Link: iOS 6 Maps with 'Flyover' 3D Hacked to Run on iPhone 4

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
And I assume it runs like crap on the iPhone 4, hence why it was disabled? :p oh wait

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
There is no reason why iPhone 4 shouldn't support 3D maps.

Apple, if you won't give it, we'll take it from you!

xxgilxx

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
Did not needed a russian hacker to figure this one out...

Last edited by a moderator:

inket

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Just like there's no valid reason for Apple to disable VIP mailboxes on the 3GS.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
with the almost identical hardware similarities between the first gen iPad and iPhone 4/3GS does anyone think its gonna ever be possible to hack iOS 6 onto the first Gen iPad?

Mine is currently running 5 and its fine no slow downs or anything nice and rather smooth, just a shame I cant run iOS 6 :(.

I paid like £600 in total for my iPad around Xmas 2010 with the lil extras and what not, just seems like I shoulda put the money towards a MacBook Air LOL.

if iOS 6 is running on a 3GS adequately I cant see why the first gen iPad cant run it, surely its got more than enough horse power with its 1Ghz A4 chip to handle the OS LOL

I guess thats what I get for being an early adopter

at least my 4S can run all the features :)

Last edited:

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
But it seems reasonable to think that 3D map performance on the pre-A5 devices like the iPhone 4 simply doesn't meet Apple's requirements, and thus the company has elected not to officially support the feature on that hardware.

But yet the video shows it working quite well, so it seems equally as reasonable to think that Apple is once again limiting these features purely for marketing reasons.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Don't post about installing iOS 6 by using the update feature through iTunes without hacking or intentionally violating a license, yet a hacker hacks maps to run on iPhone 4 makes front page news? :confused:

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Flyover is not such big deal but having no Street view is a killer... I seriously regret putting iOS6..

Google said they would be releasing a Maps app for iOS.. I hope they don't just rush it and put out a quality app (better than Apple's previous Maps App), because if it goes through the same Gmail fiasco, it'll be destined to fail, and then there won't be any good maps app, for iOS users... period.

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
Well, compared to my iPad 2 that performance shown in the video is awful. It stutters way more. So, I can see Apple being unsatisfied enough to use it as an upgrade incentive and avoid having the performance mocked.

VIP limitation is silly, but most were expecting no iOS 6 at ALL on 3GS, so I guess take what you can get, right?

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Because you lost street view?:confused:

Street view is a total gimmick! How could not having it ruin the whole iOS experience to the point you wish you never installed it? Just curious.

I won't go as far saying it is a "killer" but street view is pretty nice to scope out locations/addresses before you arrive.

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
But it seems reasonable to think that 3D map performance on the pre-A5 devices like the iPhone 4 simply doesn't meet Apple's requirements, and thus the company has elected not to officially support the feature on that hardware.

Well, if the video is un-doctored, it seems completely unreasonable to believe that Apple is holding back the feature because it won't run well enough on the iPhone 4.

They are clearly holding this feature back as an upsell to whatever the latest iPhone will be. I'm lucky enough to be out of my contract, so I'll be able to upgrade. Many are not as lucky and not on the same upgrade schedule as Apple.

Damers

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
with the almost identical hardware similarities between the first gen iPad and iPhone 4/3GS does anyone think its gonna ever be possible to hack iOS 6 onto the first Gen iPad?

Mine is currently running 5 and its fine no slow downs or anything nice and rather smooth, just a shame I cant run iOS 6 :(.

As another first gen iPad owner I feel your pain. I'm a bit shocked apple isn't supporting it anymore. Hulk smash!

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Eh, you can't just call something a gimmick and it is automatically useless. Lots of things are gimmicky but still useful. That being said, streetview isn't that important to me due to a combination of image quality and accuracy issues. You can't see address on buildings in the photos and Google Maps is often off by at least a block when I've used it (both in Portland, OR and Madison, WI). So while nice that you can see a building you can do the same thing using the 3D technology (as you can see in the demo you can get a pretty nice close up of the building).

As far as 3D, yeah it seems to run. We need a comparison of a 4S and a 4 off wifi to see if there is any sort of performance issues that Apple might deem bad. (And I really would like to know what is going on with the VIP feature, etc... since that really does look like Apple is artificially limiting hardware again like they did with the old Macbook to Macbook Pro 13 inch distinction.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.