Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
But yet the video shows it working quite well, so it seems equally as reasonable to think that Apple is once again limiting these features purely for marketing reasons.

...one video, one city, one handset. really? clearly youre not a developer or QA.

for all you conspiracy theorists out there -- do you REALLY believe Tim Cook is plotting to keep VIP email flags away from those pesky 3GS customers? really? news flash: they dont care. they sell record volumes w/ each new handset as it is. they dont need to dangle "VIP EMAIL FLAGGING!" over the heads of a few 3GS holdouts. get real.

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
In other cases like Siri on the iPhone 4S, Apple's limitations may have more to do with differentiation and marketing.

Wait, I thought we had already found out that there was some on-board components on the 4S that helped the phone listen and pick out the user's voice better. It was a situation where iPhone 4 CAN run Siri, but it doesn't have the hardware to run it as well as Apple would like.

I think Apple doesn't want people running Siri on iPhone 4 because they would complain about the performance and Siri would seem like a bad product.

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Because you lost street view?:confused:

Street view is a total gimmick! How could not having it ruin the whole iOS experience to the point you wish you never installed it? Just curious.

I regularly use Street View to familiarize myself with an area and see what kind of parking I can expect. I find it incredibly valuable and will miss it.

zumajoe

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008

Street view is a total gimmick! How could not having it ruin the whole iOS experience to the point you wish you never installed it? Just curious.

Thought not completely necessary, I happen to find Street View quite useful on occasion. Gimmicks are asking Siri to answer jokes.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Too bad the iPhone upgrade are not free for life. You just pay for the data plan. Then everyone can have the latest phone with all the features. Good job on the hackers figuring this out until that day arrives.

ArkRoyal

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012

You mean the ability to put yourself on the street, so that you can visually see a place you're trying to find even before you ever visit it for the first time is a gimmick??...right.... I'm sure seeing a cluster of buildings from a mile up will help you find that tiny specialty shop you're looking for...not a gimmick at all.

I wont be upgrading my (magically obsolete) iphone 4 until I have access to a google app with streetview.. I use it nearly every time I navigate to somewhere unfamiliar.

applegigs

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark

I mean in everyday running around between clients work and offices it's always handy to just pull out the iPhone check how the entrance of the building looks like. Now I kind-a lost this for now so I am bit disappointing. Overall experience isn't WOW 200 new features, but still OK. I mean lets face it, facebook sharing is for kids to post random stuff. Passbook is totally useless in Europe we don't use such systems yet, gosh I hope we don't. Siri updated with all these "Sports". As developer I look forward to the new API's and updated Xcode tools. In terms of performance I think it runs well on both iPhone4 & 4S, battery is ok not a big bummer compared to iOS5 beta 1. So yeah that's my thoughts on the iOS looking forward to the final update.

Cheers !

Simeon.

Damers

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
for all you conspiracy theorists out there -- do you REALLY believe Tim Cook is plotting to keep VIP email flags away from those pesky 3GS customers? really? news flash: they dont care. they sell record volumes w/ each new handset as it is. they dont need to dangle "VIP EMAIL FLAGGING!" over the heads of a few 3GS holdouts. get real.

I'd be naive to think that apple isn't *carefully* controlling how they role out new features and hardware. Unfortunately planned obsolescence exists and to pretend apple doesn't practice at least some form of it is kooky.

applegigs

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
You mean the ability to put yourself on the street, so that you can visually see a place you're trying to find even before you ever visit it for the first time is a gimmick??...right.... I'm sure seeing a cluster of buildings from a mile up will help you find that tiny specialty shop you're looking for...not a gimmick at all.

I wont be upgrading my (magically obsolete) iphone 4 until I have access to a google app with streetview.. I use it nearly every time I navigate to somewhere unfamiliar.

You said it brother! I use it mainly to see the street if I can park there or should I search for a parking nearby.

L-U-R-C-H

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
If you're still using an iPhone 3GS and complaining that it's not going to support maps, you've got some issues. That phone is over 3 years old. Time to move on. I'm stinkin' surprised the battery still holds a decent charge at this point. People just want everything for nothing. If you want more features, upgrade! You can't be under contract with a 3GS. Sell it for $100 and buy a 4S...it's not that expensive!

ArkRoyal

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
If you're still using an iPhone 3GS and complaining that it's not going to support maps, you've got some issues. That phone is over 3 years old. Time to move on. I'm stinkin' surprised the battery still holds a decent charge at this point. People just want everything for nothing. If you want more features, upgrade! You can't be under contract with a 3GS. Sell it for $100 and buy a 4S...it's not that expensive!

You do realize the 3GS is currently being sold by apple?

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone3gs

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
with the almost identical hardware similarities between the first gen iPad and iPhone 4/3GS does anyone think its gonna ever be possible to hack iOS 6 onto the first Gen iPad?

Mine is currently running 5 and its fine no slow downs or anything nice and rather smooth, just a shame I cant run iOS 6 :(.

I paid like £600 in total for my iPad around Xmas 2010 with the lil extras and what not, just seems like I shoulda put the money towards a MacBook Air LOL.

if iOS 6 is running on a 3GS adequately I cant see why the first gen iPad cant run it, surely its got more than enough horse power with its 1Ghz A4 chip to handle the OS LOL

I guess thats what I get for being an early adopter

at least my 4S can run all the features :)

I think there is no reason why it shouldn't be supported on first gen iPads.

I would email Apple, Tim, etc and just voice your frustration and tell them that you want it. Maybe they'll change their minds.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Leaving out Flyover I get. Leaving out turn-by-turn is ridiculous.

It reminds me of when I had a 2nd gen iPod Touch and I couldn't lock the screen because it was in the multitasking bar.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Stop it!

Please stop it. You're ruining apple's plan to come up with reasons to upgrade from the 4!

Sincerely,

Tim Cook

Last edited:

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Don't post about installing iOS 6 by using the update feature through iTunes without hacking or intentionally violating a license, yet a hacker hacks maps to run on iPhone 4 makes front page news? :confused:

You mad?:D

----------

I'd be naive to think that apple isn't *carefully* controlling how they role out new features and hardware. Unfortunately planned obsolescence exists and to pretend apple doesn't practice at least some form of it is kooky.

If the phone is obsolete, then why continue selling it?:confused:

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Eh, you can't just call something a gimmick and it is automatically useless. Lots of things are gimmicky but still useful. That being said, streetview isn't that important to me due to a combination of image quality and accuracy issues. You can't see address on buildings in the photos and Google Maps is often off by at least a block when I've used it (both in Portland, OR and Madison, WI). So while nice that you can see a building you can do the same thing using the 3D technology (as you can see in the demo you can get a pretty nice close up of the building).

As far as 3D, yeah it seems to run. We need a comparison of a 4S and a 4 off wifi to see if there is any sort of performance issues that Apple might deem bad. (And I really would like to know what is going on with the VIP feature, etc... since that really does look like Apple is artificially limiting hardware again like they did with the old Macbook to Macbook Pro 13 inch distinction.)

facetime is a gimmick

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
This is just one thing i don't get with apple. i agree with most of their choices but to 86 the iphone 4 from having turn by turn is ridiculous. absolutely no reason not to have it. i get they're doing it to force upgrades but don't be so greedy when it comes to features in your OS

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
facetime is a gimmick

Wha???

In my experience, it's a godsend for people with no technical ability to easily and instantly do video chats. I just say answer when I ring and they don't have to install or configure anything...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Memory? Reliability resulting from memory?

Apple does do things just to make money, but in this case it would be odd: replacing Google Maps is a big risk/challenge, and making it work well is of KEY importance. Thus, disabling features for no reason would not make any sense. Disabling them because they’re unreliable in certain situations does make sense. (Because a feature missing is better than a feature that fails too often. Even if it seems OK at first glance.)

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
This is just one thing i don't get with apple. i agree with most of their choices but to 86 the iphone 4 from having turn by turn is ridiculous. absolutely no reason not to have it. i get they're doing it to force upgrades but don't be so greedy when it comes to features in your OS

Did you leave Apple feedback on this? If that's how you feel, let them know. It can't hurt.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
a jailbreak has always been required to get the most out of an iOS device... what else is new :D

seriously though.. every missing feature from iOS 6 probably works on the 4, like facetime over 3g already does on iOS 5 (and iOS 4)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.