Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just days after the conclusion of its 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco, Apple has posted the full set of session videos to its website and iTunes. Access to the videos requires a minimum of a free Registered Apple Developer account.

wwdc_2012_session_videos.jpg

With over 100 sessions available, the videos are a significant resource for those looking to learn more about developing for OS X and iOS. The quick turnaround on posting the videos is helpful for developers who were unable to attend WWDC, especially given that the conference sold out in less than two hours this year.

Apple used to charge several hundred dollars for the videos, but ended that practice in 2010 as the company restructured its developer programs to lower the cost of entry and its increasing popularity led to conference sell-outs that prevented some willing developers from attending in person.

Article Link: Apple Posts WWDC 2012 Session Videos for Developers

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
With the free session videos available the last few years, there's no longer a reason to attend WWDC in person. Attendance is sure to plummet! ;)

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Good, it's free. Maybe they figured out that developers want to make money, not spend it.

ljones

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The good thing about attending... I was forced to stay focused and take in a good amount. Other than the time I spent in the labs with the engineers, I don't think I will go next year.

I've experienced the frenzy, stood in line for hours and... thats about it.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Apple seems to be upping the Mac developer support. Good, they haven't forgotten that iPads ≠ PCs.

Now they just need to open up the rules a bit in iOS and Mac OS so your apps can actually be plugins for other apps. Especially in Mac OS, having a system where each app is almost completely isolated from other apps is secure (of course) but not as versatile. It's North Korea-style security.

pensoftware

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
I feel like a kid in a candy store. They have all these exciting presentations (well... presentations with exciting content; the speakers usually bore me)!!

And I think people go to WWDC for the special lab sessions where Apple developers can look at your code and what not.

EDIT: And to network

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
needs QA

the audio cuts out after 10 seconds in some videos, the videos goes blank white when I go full screen sometimes. And I'm viewing in Safari 5.1.7 through an Airport Extreme base station! come on Apple. WWDC videos are useless if they're deaf and blind.

daspfanni2000

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
How to use iTunes U App with these?

Is there a way to browse the videos directly from the iTunes U App? I hate to go through the iTunes app for this...

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
I can not find them on iTunes. :(

You reach them through the developer site, so if you haven't a dev login create one (Safari dev or students are free, Mac & iOS have a paid account (that gives you access to betas and the Stores))

You've got to love Apple and the push they gave years ago to take control of their dev platform (moving away from Codewarrior and others to develop Xcode). Those videos are really interesting and if you're not a dev you might want to download the couple of introductory videos about the platform and the dev tools to see the amount of work Apple has been putting preparing the future.

Astroexe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Netherlands
With the free session videos available the last few years, there's no longer a reason to attend WWDC in person. Attendance is sure to plummet! ;)

With all this cheap clothing around there's no reason to wash old ones any more - washing powder is sure to plummet!

Just because something's more accessible doesn't mean it has less worth, these videos are probably going to be more valuable as a resource to developers who couldn't attend anything or want to showcase an idea but have no information to backup, these videos and the conference will be great. But especially for the enthusiasts.

conradwt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2005

As an attendee of the recent WWDC 2012, there's many things that you're missing beyond the session videos:

- networking and learning in person with other iOS and Mac OS X developers
- QA sessions after each session
- Special lunch time sessions which are not on video
- access to the onsite Apple labs and 1000+ Apple engineers
- Apple awards ceremony
- discounts from companies like the BigNerdRanch.com
- WWDC Bash
- Stump The Experts
- and so on

In short, I felt that I received my money's by having direct access to Apple engineers and being able to network with other developers. It's only once a year and it's always good to invest in ones career.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.