Apple Posts WWDC 2012 Session Videos for Developers

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Just days after the conclusion of its 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco, Apple has posted the full set of session videos to its website and iTunes. Access to the videos requires a minimum of a free Registered Apple Developer account.

With over 100 sessions available, the videos are a significant resource for those looking to learn more about developing for OS X and iOS. The quick turnaround on posting the videos is helpful for developers who were unable to attend WWDC, especially given that the conference sold out in less than two hours this year.

Apple used to charge several hundred dollars for the videos, but ended that practice in 2010 as the company restructured its developer programs to lower the cost of entry and its increasing popularity led to conference sell-outs that prevented some willing developers from attending in person.

Article Link: Apple Posts WWDC 2012 Session Videos for Developers
  2. macrumors member

Mar 5, 2012
    Mankato, Minnesota
    I miss the other posts about new macs. NOw they seem to be a lot about software thatI don't use :/ oh well I hate complaining.
  3. macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2010
    Great, can't wait to see how they implemented Auto Layout in iOS. :D
  4. macrumors 68020

Oct 12, 2006
    Remember it in OS X? Well... :)
  5. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Q Division, Los Angeles
    With the free session videos available the last few years, there's no longer a reason to attend WWDC in person. Attendance is sure to plummet! ;)
  6. macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2010
    You would think! It's amazing that it sells out and fills up so quickly as it does.
  7. macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2009
    Good, it's free. Maybe they figured out that developers want to make money, not spend it.
  8. macrumors regular

Oct 2, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    The good thing about attending... I was forced to stay focused and take in a good amount. Other than the time I spent in the labs with the engineers, I don't think I will go next year.

I've experienced the frenzy, stood in line for hours and... thats about it.
  9. macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2007
    I heard that this year was actually smaller in total seats than previous years.
  10. macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    Developers are just there for the parties! :p
  11. macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2009
    Apple seems to be upping the Mac developer support. Good, they haven't forgotten that iPads ≠ PCs.

Now they just need to open up the rules a bit in iOS and Mac OS so your apps can actually be plugins for other apps. Especially in Mac OS, having a system where each app is almost completely isolated from other apps is secure (of course) but not as versatile. It's North Korea-style security.
  12. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

Oct 4, 2007
    A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'll be interested to see how all the new API's will enhance my app experience :)
  13. dra
    macrumors member

Jan 1, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    cool time to get the most out of io6 for my apps :)
  14. macrumors member

Nov 11, 2008
    I feel like a kid in a candy store. They have all these exciting presentations (well... presentations with exciting content; the speakers usually bore me)!!

And I think people go to WWDC for the special lab sessions where Apple developers can look at your code and what not.

EDIT: And to network
  15. macrumors P6

Apr 1, 2005
    Space--The ONLY Frontier
    Developers are like deadheads. They go wherever the show is.

16. macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2006
    needs QA

the audio cuts out after 10 seconds in some videos, the videos goes blank white when I go full screen sometimes. And I'm viewing in Safari 5.1.7 through an Airport Extreme base station! come on Apple. WWDC videos are useless if they're deaf and blind.
  17. macrumors 68030

Jan 19, 2006
    Hopefully, this one was announced and sold out while I was slept.
  18. macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    The business connections alone pay for themselves.
  19. macrumors newbie

May 29, 2012
    How to use iTunes U App with these?

Is there a way to browse the videos directly from the iTunes U App? I hate to go through the iTunes app for this...
  20. macrumors newbie

May 31, 2012
    So true!
  21. macrumors newbie

Aug 21, 2010
  22. macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2006
    You reach them through the developer site, so if you haven't a dev login create one (Safari dev or students are free, Mac & iOS have a paid account (that gives you access to betas and the Stores))

You've got to love Apple and the push they gave years ago to take control of their dev platform (moving away from Codewarrior and others to develop Xcode). Those videos are really interesting and if you're not a dev you might want to download the couple of introductory videos about the platform and the dev tools to see the amount of work Apple has been putting preparing the future.
  23. macrumors member

Feb 19, 2012
    With all this cheap clothing around there's no reason to wash old ones any more - washing powder is sure to plummet!

Just because something's more accessible doesn't mean it has less worth, these videos are probably going to be more valuable as a resource to developers who couldn't attend anything or want to showcase an idea but have no information to backup, these videos and the conference will be great. But especially for the enthusiasts.
  24. macrumors 6502

Feb 19, 2012
    New York
    Doesn't seem like you hate complaining too much...
  25. macrumors member

Nov 21, 2005
    As an attendee of the recent WWDC 2012, there's many things that you're missing beyond the session videos:

- networking and learning in person with other iOS and Mac OS X developers
    - QA sessions after each session
    - Special lunch time sessions which are not on video
    - access to the onsite Apple labs and 1000+ Apple engineers
    - Apple awards ceremony
    - discounts from companies like the
    - WWDC Bash
    - Stump The Experts
    - and so on

In short, I felt that I received my money's by having direct access to Apple engineers and being able to network with other developers. It's only once a year and it's always good to invest in ones career.