Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage25.png

General Motors will be one of the first automakers to support Apple's Eyes Free feature in iOS 6, according to a report by GMAuthority. Eyes Free will put a dedicated Siri button on the steering wheel, allowing users to control their iPhones without moving their hands.
Today, GM Authority has learned that The General will soon introduce Siri eyes-free integration in its vehicles and the first ones to get the integration will be the Chevrolet Spark and Sonic. While the automaker's media representatives didn't provide specific timing details, we were told that we should expect an announcement within the next 12 months.

Article Link: GM Confirms Siri 'Eyes Free' Integration Coming to New Models Within 12 Months

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I can see it now:

"Siri, I need driving directions for home"

"Sorry, I can't help you now"

"Ahhh, go to ****!"

"OK!"

[car dives into ground]

Could be a good Twilight Zone epi ;)

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Great feature, but I am not going to buy or not buy a car based on whether or not it has Siri.

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
Hope it's put in other cars soon

Would love to know what other models will have this. It'd be disappointing to see this only put in models considered to be "typically" owned by iPhone users, and have it bypass work trucks and GM sedans. Hopefully, it'll be across the board. That being said, its too bad Ford has an exclusivity agreement with Microsoft Sync.

pezj

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Oh chevy... This won't be enough to get anyone to buy this car. Can't wait to see it in Mini and Audi.

Cisco_Kid

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2005
British Columbia
Great feature, but I am not going to buy or not buy a car based on whether or not it has Siri.

I purchased my last vehicle based on it having OnStar; it saved my life once while I was a passenger in a friends pickup, an impaired driver hit us and it called the authorities and EMS; while I realize you might not purchase vehicles based on small features like this; you need to know in the car business there is an ass to fit every seat.

My next GM vehicle will have Siri I hope.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
This is super-cool news. I'm just curious if there is a cell subscription required since Siri (currently) requires Apple's servers to do anything with Siri. If so, I'm sure they'll do the Sat radio first 30 days free to entice you to subscribe....I likely would.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
This is super-cool news. I'm just curious if there is a cell subscription required since Siri (currently) requires Apple's servers to do anything with Siri. If so, I'm sure they'll do the Sat radio first 30 days free to entice you to subscribe....I likely would.

I bet it will work in OnStar equipped vehicles. Of course GM wants this because SIRI requires internet to work and OnStar works by accessing cell towers just as it does to make phone calls. To use SIRI, they will require OnStar making money for GM.

The 2008 Chevy I used to have Verizon cell service.

Last edited:

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Girlfriend is waiting for the 2013 MINI Countryman this fall while I'll be upgrading the Beemer next year. Hope a software update will allow these cars to have the same functionality.

Not if they don't have apple approved noise canceling chips. Which ain't likely since apple is in the hardware business as well. And thanks for going out of your way to point out you have money :rolleyes:

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
From the article: "Eyes Free will put a dedicated Siri button on the steering wheel, allowing users to control their iPhones without moving their hands."

Bluetooth? According to the article I don't see this as siri coming with the car, but just a button that allows you to access it on your phone easier.

I bet it will work in OnStar equipped vehicles. Of course GM wants this because SIRI requires internet to work and OnStar works by accessing cell towers just as it does to make phone calls. To use SIRI, they will require OnStar making money for GM.

The 2008 Chevy I used to have Verizon cell service.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Not if they don't have apple approved noise canceling chips. Which ain't likely since apple is in the hardware business as well. And thanks for going out of your way to point out you have money :rolleyes:
The noise cancelling DSP Apple use are off the shelf parts. The methods and hardware Apple use are quite outdated now.

Microsoft have been to one of the biggest contributors to the industry.

Siri on these cars is just a button, and can also link in with your installed mic and loudspeakers.

booksix

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
Features from the countries strongest company stuck into crappy cars from the company that is the biggest monetary leach (and waste) in history? Wow! What great news!!

Great tech concept but nothing is enough to make me buy anything from GM ever. Next!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Cool - just more distraction for drivers

The idea is that the people who use this will be the ones who otherwise would drive around while staring at their phone. I expect I will be a less distracted driver with eye's free... I can see numerous other drivers I know also being less distracted.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Ok... But when is it coming to Audi?

I have never heard anything about Audi getting Siri. I wonder if this is going to get adapted like Sirius and XM were before the merger.
For example, Chevy is getting Siri (they also had XM), so Ford will probably not (They took Sirius).
BMW Siri, Audi not seems likely to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.