Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varera

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
damn it, apple

now i have to change all connectors in the car, at home and in the office? and all docks, chargers and cables are no longer compatible.

hate it!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It'd be cool if it could charge from micro-USB but do all the cool AV stuff from dock accessories.

That way you could just grab a generic micro-USB charger if you were in a bind and needed to charge your phone.

Would also mean one less cable in the bag.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Uhm..., why not a Micro USB?

So I can charge my camera, another phone if I need to, or anything else that uses the ubiquitous Micro USB, all with ONE cable?

I thought the EU was going to beat it out of Apple, but instead they just offered a USB adapter.

Apple could do something similar to this.

You could use a standard MicroUSB cable for charging and data... plus have the additional pins for other stuff when you use the Apple cable.

That would solve the EU problem... and still allows for further capability. The only question is if Apple could cram all 19 pins into a plug this size.

But MicroUSB should be incorporated somehow into the new design... if for nothing else besides charging and data.

If Apple changes the dock connector at all... we're gonna have to deal with the issues of older 30-pin accessories. So if they are gonna make any change... they better make it worth it. MicroUSB would be a nice addition.

cable-usb3saub.jpg

Last edited:

Prother

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
I still don't believe that these leaks are legit...not one bit. This is not enough of a design change. It still looks like the 4/4S. If iOS 6 is not a major leap(which it's not), then the phone has to be fresh. These leaks are lazy and I have more confidence in Apple than to believe that these leaks are real. I like the design of the 4 but it's time for a redesign. Apple has Samsung breathing down their neck now and they know it. Jony Ive has something better than this up his sleeve.
How is this not enough of a design change? Just changing the screen size (something they've never done) seems like a pretty big change to me.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I haven't invested much in accessories for the existing connector so I don't mind a change. Particularly if USB3.0 and/or Thunderbolt support is added.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I honestly think this will be the first Mag-safe Thunderbolt port.

I don't. It works great for a heavier laptop, but Apple wants to make their phones and iPods smaller and lighter. Assuming everyone wants it for that quick disconnect feature, where if you trip the cord it just pops out harmlessly, how do you give something like an iPhone a Mag-Safe connection without making it so weak to account for the phone's lack of weight?

I don't know, it's late and Mag-Safe isn't making any sense at all to me.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
IF the new dock changes to micro-USB, the 3.5mm socket could contribute the direct audio/video ouput that USB can't. When docking, the bottom of the iPhone would mate with both a USB plug and 3.5mm plug (which would also keep it upright). Older iPods used to output composite video through the headphone socket, so it might seem like a strange step backwards, but also possible and practical. I'm speculating, but not entirely irrationally.

It makes more sense in an Apple way to stuff everything into one single cable. You can do more with the 30-pin cable than with USB, so it's justified. Besides, Apple won't support a common port on their iProducts when they could just design their own proprietary port and make money off third-party docks through licensing :)

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
damn it, apple

now i have to change all connectors in the car, at home and in the office? and all docks, chargers and cables are no longer compatible.

hate it!

They will be still compatible if Apple moves to the smaller connector, Apple will bring out some sort of converter that converts the big (30 pin connector) to the smaller connector. I can't see us getting one included with the new iPhone though :mad: probably have to buy them.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
It makes sense, if they're going USB 3, why not change it already? Especially with Ivy Bridge...

I wish it is MicroUSB though. A universal connection would be lovely.

MicroUSB is too much standard for Apple. They like the proprietary interfaces so they can sell expensive adapters or peripherals which an equivalent usb one would do the same job for much less money.

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
I welcome a brand new connector.

But please get rid of the whole concept of "pins". They suck!!!

How about a magsafe connector that simply connects just like the magsafe on the laptops but also does data as well as power? I never want to have to squeeze another set of pins on an iOS device ever again! It's lame. Let the magnets line up and connect the device. It's so slick for laptops, I don't see why you couldn't use it for the iPhone/iPad. :)
The MagSafe connector DOES have pins — five of them. The magnets just line them up for you, but they're there.

Toadstall

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Essex UK
bigger

Im sure it will be as desireable as ever, but I promised myself that if the iPhone got any bigger my addiction wouldnt lead me to a man bag.

So I guess if true Ill be moving on, to smaller and lighter again, and all I know right now - is that it wont be a Samsung.

Calle68

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Why not USB

Every producer here in the EC shall rely on the same AC adapter, so most of the producers moved to mini USB connectors. Why not Apple?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I want the iPhone 5 to both look good and be something that I would not feel the need to put in a case. Without cases, there would be less leak!

Seriously, I never put my blackberries in cases. I wouldn't put the Nokia Lumina in a case. I've never put an iPod Touch in a case. But Apple made the back glass and made the glass exposed at the edge in the iPhone 4. So I ended up with a case. My current case is a nice case. But it still bulks up the phone a bit.

I've seen a lot of busted up iPhones in the wild, so case is the way I go. But I hope this new version doesn't need one.

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Faaaarrrrr out these concepts are all so ugly!

I truly hope Apple pull something out of the hat that doesn't try to rehash the iPhone 4 design for a 3rd year simply by stretching and squashing...

haseeb1029

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
Why wouldn't the move of the headphone jack make sense? I mean the way most people put their phone in their pocket is upside down, it's just natural that way. And with the phone upside down in your pocket the headphones coming off the bottom would make perfect sense. Maybe I'm missing something but I love the idea of the headphone jack being on the bottom.

Pock

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2012
Beds/Cambs, UK
Why the EFF are they moving the headphone jack to the bottom?!

Because if you put your phone in your pocket upside down (which you should if you want your phone to be the right way up when you take it out), the headphone jack should be at the bottom.

Makes perfect sense.

----------

Why wouldn't the move of the headphone jack make sense? I mean the way most people put their phone in their pocket is upside down, it's just natural that way. And with the phone upside down in your pocket the headphones coming off the bottom would make perfect sense. Maybe I'm missing something but I love the idea of the headphone jack being on the bottom.

Beat me to it!

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
I must be the only one that likes the glass back. The thing is glass doesn't scratch the way metals do, but is far more appealing to the touch than plastic. The whole glass shattering thing doesn't make a difference to me because I never want my phone to drop anyways. Reducing the chance that you'll damage something to a coin toss doesn't make dropping it any less disastrous in my eyes.

I don't think many people go out and buy a phone wanting it to drop. But - accidents happen - and when they do, you'd rather reduce your chances of having a shattered glass back by having a non-glass back plate :)

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I must be the only one that likes the glass back... The whole glass shattering thing doesn't make a difference to me because I never want my phone to drop anyways.

Ah, that must be it, then. Everyone but you WANTS to drop his phone. That must be why it happens. Not because it is made thin, with flat sides and back that fit so unergonomically in the hand, but because everyone else wants to drop it.

Thank you. I always wondered why the backs of iPhones shattered so often.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Uhm..., why not a Micro USB?

So I can charge my camera, another phone if I need to, or anything else that uses the ubiquitous Micro USB, all with ONE cable?

I thought the EU was going to beat it out of Apple, but instead they just offered a USB adapter.

I can't see Apple conforming like that... Not their style ;)

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Since Apple introduced the Magsafe 2 connector for their New macAirs and Pros

This supports the Posssibility of a change and $9.99 tag for the converter

Still feel apple has got something up thier sleeves about the design we still dont know:cool:

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
To protect he camera lens which is made of cheap easily scrachable plastic?

Don't know why you got downvoted... it is true that the lens scratches SO EASILY on my iPhone 4 my camera takes blurry pictures now. :mad:

As nice as the iPhone looks without a case, get some kind of a case protection. Being the owner of a case-less iPhone 4 for 2 years I promise you accidents WILL happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.