Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Why is that whenever Apple looks into larger displays, it has to be a new AppleTV? Why not the more obvious answer of a new Cinema Display? After all, a new 4Kish display for Pro users and one to compliment the new MacBook Pro would make sense.

No chance of that.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Would 4K be amazing? I haven't seen one of those in person. But isn't standard HD pretty much "retina" level display once you settle into a couch ten feet from the TV? I guess not once you get once of the big TVs. But it certainly must be real close.

I will be curious to see what happens. But I also think that current generation of Apple TV can handle most of the control stuff that I would want it to just with a little extra programming and Apps for my iPhone and iPad. I'm already pushing more and more stuff up and off my iOS devices onto my TV. Programming should allow me to do more and more of that. No new hardware needed.

Anthony0224

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
Jeez i hope they make a model of this that's at LEAST 55". 65 would be great but i don't see that happening. Either way i'm definitely buying one.... complete household integration! :apple:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Why is that whenever Apple looks into larger displays, it has to be a new AppleTV? Why not the more obvious answer of a new Cinema Display? After all, a new 4Kish display for Pro users and one to compliment the new MacBook Pro would make sense.

It would be nice if you could dock a MacBook or Mac Mini on the back of an Apple television so that you can use it as a 4K monitor without anything being in the way. In fact, that would be a nice alternative to the iMac, even if they don't do a TV, and would give an excuse for a more powerful Mac Mini.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I still maintain that Apple has no cause to get into the very saturated television market. There's no way Apple can compete with existing sets pricewise, plus there's nothing they can do with their own brand television that they couldn't do with an add-on box like the AppleTV.

What about screen size? Are they going to have different options for different needs? We know how Apple has been historically about options, and you can't enter the television market with just one or two sizes available and expect to make everyone happy.

Even the hardcore Apple fans I know aren't going to run out and replace their televisions just because Apple starts making one, I don't care what "killer feature" it has. The TVs in my house are all doing the jobs they're intended to, and I'll only replace one when that changes. Not before.

I firmly believe that if Apple starts selling a television, it's going to be one of their occasional duds. I'm sure the tech will be impressive, I just don't think they're going to be selling them by the truckload like they're used to doing with iPhones and iPads. An Apple Television just doesn't make sense. I just don't think Apple can make any money off of it.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
I still can't see apple coming out with a stand-alone TV monitor. Maybe license Atv-like software and then have tvs from other manufacturers "powered by Apple Tv" or something.... There just isn't the margin in TVs apple is used to.

I’m there with you, but there could be the possibility Apple introduces a Cradle-to-Cradle device along with a subsidized subscription. Think a $50 iTunes monthly subscription over 3 years and a $699 for a top of the line 50" screen. Apple’s moves in environmentally friendly materials actually make reuse of materials in a C2C business model a very viable proposition and California is making a big, big push in promoting C2C.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I still can't see apple coming out with a stand-alone TV monitor. Maybe license Atv-like software and then have tvs from other manufacturers "powered by Apple Tv" or something.... There just isn't the margin in TVs apple is used to.

Are you familiar with Apple? The company that doesn't license anything to anyone, and always does their own total solution.

Do you think Dell's margin on a PC is much different than Sony's on a TV? The majority of the profit margin on a Windows PC goes to Microsoft. Apple is used to high margins because they can get them on their products. They actually produce a better product than the low cost driven competition, and they understand supply chain to drive costs down.

They will not license their technology to other TV makers, and they will get high margins on a TV if they sell one. Otherwise they won't enter the market.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
"iPad-like touchscreen remote". Telling you, Apple has no plans for a 7 inch iPad and what's leaking out is info on the remote for the Apple TV :p

Makes sense. Touch screen control with built in mic for Siri voice commands. Best remote ever :D

ganymedes13

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
its not going to launch in december but later in 2013 bec at current we havent seen any remarkable improvements in motion sensing technology, its just not ready...apple tv product will be based on a big ecosystem that takes time to be build and build properly.

It's more than likely you will never see this stuff by an independent company. MS bought Kinect from an Israeli company after they went to Apple first. No one knew of this tech and the story behind it until everyone saw the Kinect.

That said, this is analyst so I stopped reading after the first sentence.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I expect to be surprised, but its hard for me to imagine a TV from Apple that would be so great that I'd pay a premium for it. I assume its got an Apple TV baked in, and will come with ala carte TV/Cable channel subscriptions -- rather than basic/premium packages you get now from cable companies -- which force you to pay for channels you never watch. THAT would be revolutionary, but why the special hardware?

And you think that Apple will be able to negotiate a price cut from the cable companies based on what leverage?

So lets see how this goes down.

Apple: Your current customers send you $120 per month for their channels only some of them they want. Our proposal is that you allow them to pick channels, you "fairly" price those channels. And the vast majority of your customers start sending you significantly less than $120 a month.

Cable Company: So you are suggesting I give up most of my profit.

Apple: But your customers will like you more and they will buy my TVs.

Cable Company: Not interested.

Apple: But some customers will sign up for a package of cheap channels who aren't already your customer.

Cable Company: I basically have a near monopoly in the areas I serve and me and the other cable companies currently have about 70% of American households as customers. 10% of American households are super broke and will never be able to buy anyting. So even if you delivered the ENTIRE remaining 20%, you wouldn't increase my customer base enough to cover any significant decrease in the monthly payments I get. I think this conversation is over. Call me when you have a proposal that involves my customers sending me MORE money each month. Then we can talk.

furqan8421

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
I highly doubt it will be a 4k set, as there is no need for one right now

Aside from movies nothing is even broadcast in 1080p right now as far as I know

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I still maintain that Apple has no cause to get into the very saturated television market. There's no way Apple can compete with existing sets pricewise, plus there's nothing they can do with their own brand television that they couldn't do with an add-on box like the AppleTV.

What about screen size? Are they going to have different options for different needs? We know how Apple has been historically about options, and you can't enter the television market with just one or two sizes available and expect to make everyone happy.

Even the hardcore Apple fans I know aren't going to run out and replace their televisions just because Apple starts making one, I don't care what "killer feature" it has. The TVs in my house are all doing the jobs they're intended to, and I'll only replace one when that changes. Not before.

I firmly believe that if Apple starts selling a television, it's going to be one of their occasional duds. I'm sure the tech will be impressive, I just don't think they're going to be selling them by the truckload like they're used to doing with iPhones and iPads. An Apple Television just doesn't make sense. I just don't think Apple can make any money off of it.

I totally agree. Also, how will you feel if you pay premium prices for an Apple TV only to have Apple tell you 2 years later than it's new operating system will not run on your still perfectly functioning TV and you will need to replace the TV. The smaller Apple "box" makes so much more sense and could be upgraded regularly without too much grumbling

I'm guessing that people would make rude suggestions about how Apple could recycle their old TV:D

aaarrrgggh

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
I highly doubt it will be a 4k set, as there is no need for one right now

Aside from movies nothing is even broadcast in 1080p right now as far as I know

My logic for it is to have clear text when using it as anything but a TV. Allow hybrid vector/raster graphics superpositioning. It is the only thing where a full tv offers any real benefit over a box.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
this won't be a TV. it will be a device with TV functionality. just like the iPhone was a device with phone functionality.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
What is the 'holiday shopping season'?

EDIT: Thanks for the downvotes, but if you're not American, 'the holiday season' means nothing. Is that summer holiday, xmas holiday??

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.