Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, Apple officially announced that OS X Mountain Lion would launch sometime in July through the Mac App Store, carrying a low upgrade price of $19.99 for users of OS X Lion or Snow Leopard. Following the conference keynote, Apple also released a "near-final" version of OS X Mountain Lion to developers for testing purposes.

mountain_lion_mac_app_store_wwdc.jpg

MacRumors has now heard from several employees at a third-party firm offering technical support for Apple products that their company has imposed a vacation blackout from July 22 through 29, requiring "all hands on deck" in its desktop and portables division to support an unspecified event.

Speculation naturally turns to OS X Mountain Lion as the event in question, although some potential customers may be hoping that new iMac and/or Mac mini hardware could arrive at the same time. Apple scheduled just such a simultaneous hardware/software launch last July, introducing new MacBook Air and Mac mini models alongside OS X Lion.

Article Link: Vacation Blackout Hints at Late July Release for OS X Mountain Lion

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
All hands on deck for a minor OS bump (yes I said minor) seems a bit much. Maybe some new hardware to go along with it hopefully.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm not thinking a downloadable only OS is cause for all employees being on deck and not being able to take vacation in a very popular month for taking vacation.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I'm betting it's Mountain Lion and hopefully the new iMac and Mac Mini. The iPhone will wait for a 4th quarter release.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Some hope for the Mac Pro there :cool:
Not even a glimmer. They said desktop and portables. That does sound like OSX ML, but imac could be present to round things out. Still 7 days seems like overkill.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
With only a year to correct a ll of the shot t comings of Lion there is little hope left. With Apple spending so much lof it's time dumbing down the Mac OS I have my doubts of being wowed again.

sjp5317

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Denham Springs, LA
Continuous Upgrading

I bought my Macbook Pro in Summer of 2010 and it had Snow Leopard on it. I then did the upgrade to Lion when it came out. I, of course, will upgrade to Mountain Lion when it comes out. Do you think continuously upgrading a version of Mac OS X would "degrade" or something similar?
I come from and continue to be in the world of Windows in my career. I do fresh installs of Windows when new versions come out because it just works better.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
What events have they done this vacation blackout for so long in the recent past?

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Ivy bridge refresh of the mini would be nice, not going to lie i would really like to see a mini with a decent GPU in it, something like the 650m

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Given the (pathetic) update it received less than 30 days ago, no .... just...no. The next Mac Pro update will not be this year.

yes, moved on. Now I am in the imac line waiting all over again. :(

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I can't see this being the iPhone because of the fall iOS six release... But what else would require an all hands on deck?? ML, iMac, and Mac mini would definitely not (ML is download only, and the other two are not big enough sellers or even close).

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Neato burrito.

I'd put money on new iMacs and Mac Minis in July.

13in rMBP in August.

2012 iPhone in September.

Me claiming bankruptcy in October.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Apple Retail hasn't blocked off vacations for OS releases since AT LEAST 2007. I wouldn't be surprised if this is for something else, or specifically for areas that have high physical sales on OS's, especially with the emphasis on App Store download process for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.