Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Travel shopping site Orbitz is offering more expensive hotels to Mac users because the company found Mac users prefer more luxurious rooms, reports the Wall Street Journal.

orbitz.png

Orbitz noted that it was is not showing different prices for the same room to different users, but was presenting pricier hotels more prominently to Mac users than those using Windows. Users can rank hotel options by price and get the same listings no matter what platform they are using.
Orbitz found Mac users on average spend $20 to $30 more a night on hotels than their PC counterparts, a significant margin given the site's average nightly hotel booking is around $100, chief scientist Wai Gen Yee said. Mac users are 40% more likely to book a four- or five-star hotel than PC users, Mr. Yee said, and when Mac and PC users book the same hotel, Mac users tend to stay in more expensive rooms.

"We had the intuition, and we were able to confirm it based on the data," Orbitz Chief Technology Officer Roger Liew said.
The WSJ goes on to note that the average household income for adult owners of Macs is $98,560, according to Forrester Research, versus $74,452 for a PC owner. The paper also says that some high-end hotels see bookings from Mac users hugely out of proportion with their user share on Orbitz.

The targeting efforts are part of Orbitz's "predictive analytics" efforts -- using gathered data to offer more tailored results to shoppers in order to generate more revenue.

Article Link: Orbitz Presenting More Expensive Hotels to Mac Users

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
No problem here.

This sounds a lot like Apple going from 16 GB / 32 GB iPhones to offering 16/32/64.

Adding something extra at the top never hurt anyone. It's not like they're not showing the us the cheaper options.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
*Note To Self*

If I ever shop on Orbitz (since I never do) do it from a PC...lol.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Sounds right to me. If a company sees blue people spending 20% more on their higher end offerings, show blue people higher end things more prominently.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
People who own Ferraris tend to have nicer than average homes too! We could be onto something here... ;)

If only I could browse Orbitz with an Etch-A-Sketch...

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm never using Orbitz now. A room is a room. I don't want to be shown the higher priced stuff just because I'm on a Mac.

I'd rather spend my money on fun things on my vacation not a hotel room.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
The real problem is that after buying a couple of Apple devices there is no money left for anything more expensive than a Holiday Inn. :p:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.