Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_black-150x72.jpg
As noted by MacMagazine.com.br, the latest beta of the iOS 6-based Apple TV software now allows users to reorder the icons on the main menu page.

The feature is accessed by holding down the center Select button on the remote for several seconds, after which the selected icon begins to wiggle as is seen on other iOS devices when in reorder/delete mode. The wiggling icon can then be moved by using the directional buttons on the remote, with other icons automatically adjusting to make room for the icon being moved.

One difference in icon reordering between the Apple TV and other iOS devices is that the lack of a touch interface means that only one icon at a time can be selected and moved on the Apple TV. On other iOS devices, touching any icon for several seconds causes all icons to wiggle and multiple icons can be moved or deleted before exiting the mode. There is also no sign yet of an ability to delete or hide unused icons on the Apple TV menu.

On the current Apple TV software, holding the Select button for several seconds puts the device to sleep, and it is unclear whether this functionality is being discontinued or reassigned to a different remote shortcut.

Article Link: iOS 6 Beta Allows Reordering of Icons on Apple TV

kwiky

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
This is awesome! I'll finally be able to put plex and xbmc on top :) (Once iOS is out and jailbroken).

Then again if iOS6 allows for Apps I might be able to buy the plex app from the AppleTV app store.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Nice, but I have one issue with this: Holding down the centre button is currently a shortcut to put the Apple TV to sleep.

Then the shortcut will be moved...obviously...

Think about the home button on the iPhone and iPad - it's got so many different functions.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
One difference in icon reordering between the Apple TV and other iOS devices is that the lack of a touch interface means that only one icon at a time can be selected and moved on the Apple TV. On other iOS devices, holding down the home button causes all icons to wiggle and multiple icons can be moved or deleted before exiting the mode. There is also no sign yet of an ability to delete or hide unused icons on the Apple TV menu.

On touch iOS devices, holding down one of the home screen icons starts the works a-wigglin', not holding the home button...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
One difference in icon reordering between the Apple TV and other iOS devices is that the lack of a touch interface means that only one icon at a time can be selected and moved on the Apple TV.

Still better than what we don't have now. And for all we know they are working on a revamp of the Remote app to use with the Apple TV which will give a more iPad style working to this function and others

----------

Preparing for Apps are we? :D

Not necessarily. And even if they do increase the apps on the Apple TV it doesn't mean a fully open store like many think it would. It could just mean baking in more tv related apps like more sports, CNN stuff, ABC player, BBC player and the like

not everything is a sign they are going to create an app store or that they are building a 'real' tv.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
this is good... but it looks like you can't modify the top row... WHY NOT???
and please let me delete/hide the sports stuff i never use!!!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Nice, but I have one issue with this: Holding down the centre button is currently a shortcut to put the Apple TV to sleep.

which is s disaster if you have a young kid or grandma running the remote cause they hold that button down a bit too long and it puts the whole thing to sleep.

it should be a menu function and perhaps a two button shortcut.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Who is putting the atv to sleep anyway? It will go to sleep automatically. Non sense function. It consumes no power whatsoever even when it is on.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I wish they'd make the blue outline around a selected icon thicker. It's almost impossible to see which icon is selected the way it is now. It's just way too thin.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Been hoping this would happen for some time. Would love to be able to hide or remove apps too. I'll never use Wall Street Journal TV or NBA League Pass. They're just cluttering things up.

Next step as people have said is allowing 3rd party apps on the Apple TV. Should be interesting. Use your iPad/iPhone as a remote to play games, etc.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
Never used the ATV, but whats sp special about being able to reorder your stuff? If that has not been included on previous versions then that is a huge fail from apple ... That just seems like something that should be basic, like the power button :cool:

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
can't wait!

hmm... should I buy an Apple TV now or wait a little longer...

It's cheap enough... go for it.

You can always use it elsewhere later. When I got my 1080p one, I moved the 720p to the kids play room. Or use it for music somewhere else, etc.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
It's cheap enough... go for it.

You can always use it elsewhere later. When I got my 1080p one, I moved the 720p to the kids play room. Or use it for music somewhere else, etc.

You could also sell the 720 version for a premium. I sold all of mine for $140 each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.