Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Sounds cool.

Anyway, hope Apple finally enables iTunes Extras to be played on the Apple TV in iOS6. I still can't believe it's taking them this long to do this.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
1. We want apps.

2. we want to be untied from itunes and a running computer.

3. We want to be able stream from NAS.

4. We want to play mkv and avi divx.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
It's cheap enough... go for it.

You can always use it elsewhere later. When I got my 1080p one, I moved the 720p to the kids play room. Or use it for music somewhere else, etc.

thats what I was thinking, will pick one up on my next trip to the apple store.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Nice feature, though with the remote control it sounds a bit awkward and slow. Could be easier with the Remote app.

I'd be more impressed if I could turn off the iTunes cover art in the top half of the screen and just use that for apps. Or maybe put my music & videos in the Music & Videos section, instead of hidden under Computers.

Still, it's all progress! :)

sugarbear

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
The method described is the way you currently movie around items on your movie wish list. Looks like apps are coming...

----------

1. We want apps.

2. we want to be untied from itunes and a running computer.

3. We want to be able stream from NAS.

4. We want to play mkv and avi divx.

Especially given (4), you don't want an Apple TV.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
The method described is the way you currently movie around items on your movie wish list. Looks like apps are coming...

----------

Especially given (4), you don't want an Apple TV.

a jailbroken apple tv can do all things i listed, why does not apple open the pandoras box and let us do what we want ?

nycjay

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
Who is putting the atv to sleep anyway? It will go to sleep automatically. Non sense function. It consumes no power whatsoever even when it is on.

Some people (myself included) still run their audio through an older AV receiver. In my case, it has one optical, and one coax digital input. I have the optical audio running from the ATV, and the coax digital running from my cable box. Both of these inputs are mapped to the "Digital Audio" input on the receiver. The received will try and auto detect which signal it saw first, and stay there. If after using the ATV I do not manually put it to sleep, and intend to change over to watching cable tv, then my receiver will still detect it's audio signal, and not switch over to the audit from cable box.

I probably could have explained this better, but long story short, there are valid reason why someone would want to manually sleep their ATV, aside from the power saving reasons.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Well, it definitely sounds like another hint at upcoming apps, but if they were gonna announce apps coming any time soon, surely they'd have done so at WWDC?

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Some people (myself included) still run their audio through an older AV receiver. In my case, it has one optical, and one coax digital input. I have the optical audio running from the ATV, and the coax digital running from my cable box. Both of these inputs are mapped to the "Digital Audio" input on the receiver. The received will try and auto detect which signal it saw first, and stay there. If after using the ATV I do not manually put it to sleep, and intend to change over to watching cable tv, then my receiver will still detect it's audio signal, and not switch over to the audit from cable box.

I probably could have explained this better, but long story short, there are valid reason why someone would want to manually sleep their ATV, aside from the power saving reasons.

Interesting point, I would have assumed everyone is using hdmi these days. Always asked myself why it has that legacy coax connection

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Who is putting the atv to sleep anyway? It will go to sleep automatically. Non sense function. It consumes no power whatsoever even when it is on.

I do, because my TV will auto shut off when it loses signal (okay, five minutes later,) and will wake back up when it gains signal. So I never need to touch the TV controls. (Which is really helpful since its remote is long since lost.) If the AppleTV stays on, the TV stays on.

xplora

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
There is also no sign yet of an ability to delete or hide unused icons on the Apple TV menu.

Check in the Parental Controls... Settings - General - Parental Controls, and scroll down, you can selective hide/show accordingly, and no, Parental Controls does not need to be turned on to hide/show an item.

FYI, as of iOS 5, I formally requested this feature with Apple, so it was a pleasant surprise to find it in iOS 6.

Last edited:

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
Nice feature, though with the remote control it sounds a bit awkward and slow. Could be easier with the Remote app.

I was using the remote app on my aTV last night. It's so clunky! I don't want to watch my TV to see where the cursor is. Why Apple haven't released a dedicated iphone/touch app is beyond me. At least it makes typing into search fields easier.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Hopefully it'll be bye bye to WSJ and the US sports stuff that I'm not in to (or at least have the ability to shift that stuff down the list).

Apps would be nice - BBC iPlayer app please

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
a jailbroken apple tv can do all things i listed, why does not apple open the pandoras box and let us do what we want ?

Why would they want to do that? Apple is an expert at driving other parts of it business with it products and rightly so.

If you want Apple to keep going let them do their thing. :)

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Why would they want to do that? Apple is an expert at driving other parts of it business with it products and rightly so.

If you want Apple to keep going let them do their thing. :)

Apple is expert at limiting functions and forcing users to spend money on content they deliver, forcing them to use the device as they want you to use it. Forcing them to change the way users use the devices. Because they know what you need better than you know yourself. This is why lots of people jailbreak their idevices.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Apple is expert at limiting functions and forcing users to spend money on content they deliver, forcing them to use the device as they want you to use it. Forcing them to change the way users use the devices. Because they know what you need better than you know yourself. This is why lots of people jailbreak their idevices.

Thats the way Apple works. I've accepted it and thats the way it is. I prefer it to be closed. Stops me from wasting money on other junk. :D

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Thats the way Apple works. I've accepted it and thats the way it is. I prefer it to be closed. Stops me from wasting money on other junk. :D

You can still stop yourself wasting money on other junk even if apple was more open. At least they could let us play the video files we want.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
You can still stop yourself wasting money on other junk even if apple was more open. At least they could let us play the video files we want.

True. I must admit I would have like this last year but all my vids are now MP4 and most MKV's I download can easily convert in a couple of minutes.

Yeah it would be great to not have to but its less hassle than it seems.

robweg

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
Apple TV software now allows users to reorder the icons on the main menu page

Man. It's so embarrassing for Apple that this is worth an article at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.