Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:33 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Facing Potential Suspension of Italian Sales Amid Warranty Concerns

Late last year, Apple was fined $1.2 million by Italian regulators over warranty-related issues, with Apple being cited for not adequately disclosing standard two-year warranties required to be offered with new products sold in the country.

Following the ruling, Apple temporarily added disclosures to its Italian online store even as it was appealing the decision. Apple officially lost its appeal earlier this year, with the company being required to pay the previously-assessed fine.

Reuters now reports that Italian regulators remain concerned about Apple's sales and marketing tactics and are considering additional fines and an eventual temporary ban on Apple's ability to sell products in the country as further sanctions.
Quote:
The AGCM said in its monthly bulletin that Apple was continuing to adopt unfair commercial practices in Italy and noted this could eventually lead to the closure of its Italian operations for up to 30 days.

The U.S. group has 30 days to respond.

The AGCM alleges that information provided by Apple about an extra guarantee scheme encourages customers to buy the service without clearly explaining that the company is obliged to offer a two-year free warranty, the source said.
Italy is not the only country where Apple is facing criticism over its warranty policies. Earlier this year, consumer groups in eleven European Union countries filed letters of complaint with their respective regulatory agencies asking them to take action against Apple's misleading warranty sales tactics in light of the EU's requirement for a standard two-year warranty. The company clarified the differences between EU protection and Apple's warranty policies, but concerns about its disclosures apparently still remain.

Update: Apple takes issue with the Italian antitrust authority, saying in a statement:
Quote:
We have introduced a number of measures to address the Italian competition authority concerns and we disagree with their latest complaint.
Article Link: Apple Facing Potential Suspension of Italian Sales Amid Warranty Concerns
MacRumors is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:35 PM   #2
ualymerej
macrumors newbie

Apple is getting in trouble because customers can't read?
ualymerej is offline   -43 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:36 PM   #3
wordoflife
macrumors 604

It's good that they (the Italian regulators) are bringing this up because this is something many EU customers aren't aware of and end up unnecessarily buying Apple Care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ualymerej View Post
Because they aren't well informed enough.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:37 PM   #4
guerro
macrumors regular

Is there any wonder why Italy's economy is in the *******? Toilet? Crapper?
guerro is offline   -36 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
No. Apple is getting into trouble because of the standard 2 year warranty AND the fact that people can't read very,very tiny print.
Peace is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:38 PM   #6
applesith
macrumors 68000

Requiring 2 year warranties is stupid. It just raises prices for everyone. Let people choose if they want to pay for that extra 2 years of warranty instead of forcing them.
applesith is offline   -29 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:39 PM   #7
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesith View Post
Requiring 2 year warranties is stupid. It just raises prices for everyone. Let people choose if they want to pay for that extra 2 years of warranty instead of forcing them.
I agree. Ultimately, this is one of the reasons why some products cost [a lot] more in different countries.

Changed thoughts and disagree.

Last edited by wordoflife; Jul 2, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:40 PM   #8
C00rDiNaT0r
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to C00rDiNaT0r Send a message via MSN to C00rDiNaT0r
Yea that one extra year warranty makes a lot of difference.

How do people usually arrive to the conclusion of whether they need the AppleCare? Do they just take the salespersons' word for it? Don't the packaging of the products themselves (Macs, iPods, etc.) already tell customers what the standard warranty policy is?
C00rDiNaT0r is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:40 PM   #9
habubauza
macrumors regular

Let the shake downs begin! Tim Cook is not a fighter like Steve Jobs. He hates courts and prefers to settle. It is one of the worst positions to telegraph in an increasingly litigious and intellectual property contentious environment. You will see the scum of the scum trying to exploit Apple. The commies in China did it, with more to follow!
habubauza is offline   -24 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
A 2 year warranty also helps weed out the planned obsolescence of some products.
Peace is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:41 PM   #11
organerito
macrumors 6502

There are lots of people that don't watch any foreign movies because the subtitles are too fast. I know many in the in the USA and Canada just like that.

You cannot imagine how boring and difficult it is to read for some people.
organerito is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:41 PM   #12
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Bingo! It just means higher prices in the EU. Somebody has to pay for these warranties whether or not they are government-imposed. I say that Apple just raises the price by 10% across the board and gets really specific about what warranty comes with the product and what is included in AppleCare. The 10% hike in price should more than make up for the loss of AppleCare sales.
BC2009 is offline   -14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:42 PM   #13
Feed Me
Banned

inb4 'mericans.
Feed Me is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:43 PM   #14
applesith
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerro View Post
Is there any wonder why Italy's economy is in the *******? Toilet? Crapper?
Exactly. I'm a proud Italian-American. I love Italy and it's culture and people. But their government and economic policies are so backwards.
applesith is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:44 PM   #15
Oletros
In Time-Out

Quote:
This is another discussion
Oletros is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:44 PM   #16
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Now now, it's possible they are putting the fine print in English.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:44 PM   #17
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
It's good that they (the Italian regulators) are bringing this up because this is something many EU customers aren't aware of and end up unnecessarily buying Apple Care.

Because they aren't well informed enough.
NONSENSE. It's not APPLE'S job to inform the Italian public about standard Italian law. It's their government's job. What are they doing, aside from the whole underage scandal thing?
Kaibelf is offline   -17 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:46 PM   #18
nsayer
macrumors 6502a

I think Apple should call their bluff and just pull out of Italy, including closing all of the iTunes, app and book stores.

I rather suspect it wouldn't be long before there was a new set of regulators overseeing that section of the Italian government.
nsayer is offline   -25 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:47 PM   #19
Oletros
In Time-Out

Quote:
Exactly. I'm a proud Italian-American. I love Italy and it's culture and people. But their government and economic policies are so backwards.
It is an EU directive, not an Italian law, try again
Oletros is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:48 PM   #20
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

Seems easy enough for Apple to just play along. Offer a two year warranty, and clearly state it where necessary.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:48 PM   #21
Oletros
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
NONSENSE. It's not APPLE'S job to inform the Italian public about standard Italian law. It's their government's job. What are they doing, aside from the whole underage scandal thing?
It's Apple (and whatever other company) job to inform in a right way and not to try to obscure the law term to sell extended guarantees.
Oletros is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:48 PM   #22
Formul
macrumors member

I don't know how in Italy, but around me even every small child or elderly knows things have mandatory 2 years warranty. Also we are not stupid and can read.
Formul is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:49 PM   #23
gpat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Apple is getting in trouble because its executives can't read. The law.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsayer View Post
I think Apple should call their bluff and just pull out of Italy, including closing all of the iTunes, app and book stores.

I rather suspect it wouldn't be long before there was a new set of regulators overseeing that section of the Italian government.
How is that better than following the law like any other company and actually making a benefit to the consumer?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:51 PM   #24
DWilliamson5002
macrumors newbie

Apple should just close up shop and leave Italy. Just say "You know what you win Italy, we just won't sell products in your country."
DWilliamson5002 is offline   -35 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:52 PM   #25
Oletros
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsayer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002 View Post
Apple should just close up shop and leave Italy. Just say "You know what you win Italy, we just won't sell products in your country."
It is an EU directive, perhaps Apple should call their bluff and just pull out of all the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpat View Post
How is that better than following the law like any other company and actually making a benefit to the consumer?
In reality, they are joking, nobody can say something like that with a straight face
Oletros is offline   -3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion