Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
The Mac Mini is a pile of garbage. And its a joke. ( Downvote all you want, I don't care ) So don't mention it :D

Whenever someone asks me to recommend an Apple,and they want a Mini, I tell them to work harder and buy an iMac.

For me anyway, the Mini is an example of a uselessly small form factor, that compromises the rest of the machine.

I get that the mini isn't for you, but you're just being a snob. Our living room television has a g4 mini hooked up to it along with an apple tv. We love it in our house. Sure I could throw something else there, but it's cool and quiet. I still use my old mini in my bedroom as my p.c.. I bought it refurbished after the model was about a year old... here I am about six years later still using it. Sure I will upgrade soon, but really, it's paid for itself over the years with various jobs. You are not the measure of every user.
Back on topic though, one word... Tomtom.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Apple could instantly make competitors' 7" tablets look like cheap toys by branding this thing as an iPod (maybe call it the iPod HD or something). Then all of the crappy 7" Android tablets will be going up against a flipping iPod (and, no doubt, getting creamed).

How humiliating.

The only reason Apple would consider a 7 inch tablet is because of the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7.

How humiliating.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
two bullet points why people will be attracted to the iPad mini, besides the size advantage.

• as slim as an iPod
  • new battery technology
  • Wifi + Cellular

There are no current 7" high-quality tablets with Cellular.

The closest device in comparison will be the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (October) at twice the price as it's a hybrid phone/tablet.

personally I think the future will be the hybrid all in one.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Wow. I read through all those comments!:eek:

I wish they won't come out with it because it'll make me feel guilty about my iPad purchase.. Just being transparent here.. :D
If they do, I would gladly get one and let my daughter have it. I'd much rather have her on a 300-400 (if that's the price) device than 688.00 device lol. And that size would be great for her too!

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
It'd work for me

ICE/SatNav
Reader
Vacation comms tool
The ultimate remote control (esp if Apple put an IR sender in it)

I have two iPads and would gladly buy this too.

MeinKraft

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
USA
Thanks to YOU and all the others here who are telling me what "i' would be better off with. I would be better off spending $500 i dont have, than spending $250 I Do have (like millions of others) - I would be better off buying a 10" tablet when my needs demand something smaller and more portable?

When you are in best buy and see someone looking at a 32" LCD for his kitchen, do you tell him he is "better off" buying the 60" LED?

Well that depends, how big is the person's kitchen?

RaoulDuke42

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
Los Angeles
If you take the current iPad and cut it in half you'd have two 7" 2:3 aspect ratio mini iPads with a very nice "retina" rez of 1536x1024. Would fit in purses nicely and spur on a whole new industry of man-bags. Calling it!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I don't know if anybody remembers it, but once a Taiwanese company named AOpen released a direct competitor to Mini. It was actually more expensive than Mac Mini. Also the build quality wasn't as good as the real Mini either.

The tough part in gauging Mini's value is that there isn't really a true alternative to it. But I think it's actually a pretty decent value if you're looking for a well built computer with design that'll blend in, which actually matters if you have family and house hold, and also considering how the used price holds better.

It's really well built, performs well enough, and looks great. Then again, most people arguing these things online often are the types who'll use the most hideous, big and even poorly built cases if the price is right.

Well I use the computer in my sig, I wouldn't call it a hideous big poorly built case but each there own I guess? It is expensive still, if I can buy an entire Windows laptop for less, then the Mini is not value for money with the specs it has and what it lacks in the box.

That is completely delusional.

Ok, maybe I was going to low, care to post a link to prove how much it does cost to manufacture?

----------

The Mac Mini is a pile of garbage. And its a joke. ( Downvote all you want, I don't care ) So don't mention it :D

Whenever someone asks me to recommend an Apple,and they want a Mini, I tell them to work harder and buy an iMac.

For me anyway, the Mini is an example of a uselessly small form factor, that compromises the rest of the machine.

Apple has every reason to make an iPad " mini ", it won't damage the companies " luxury image " because that image doesn't exist. The only people who really think apple is a " luxury product " are Fanboys.

" Luxury " products simply for the MOST part do not exist in the electronics world, Comparing an iPhone 4S to a Galaxy SIII is nowhere close comparing a Honda to an Audi or Merc.

Ask a normal person that never reads tech blogs etc if they think the 3 grand laptop they just brought is a luxury item... You may as well state a Rolex or Omega is not a luxury watch then, cost a lot more then the majority of other watches that do the same thing or more, just like Macs, at the end of the day they do absolutely nothing different to a Windows or Linux machine yet they are priced a lot higher. Yes they have great quality, but that also makes it a luxury item.

Apple could instantly make competitors' 7" tablets look like cheap toys by branding this thing as an iPod (maybe call it the iPod HD or something). Then all of the crappy 7" Android tablets will be going up against a flipping iPod (and, no doubt, getting creamed).

How humiliating.

Koolaide much or just out trolling?

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
I haven't bought an iPad as I don't have a pressing need. It would be cool to have, just not a priority - pretty much all my Apple stuff gets used for both business and pleasure.

But if a 7.85 inches came out much cheaper than an iPad 2 and I liked the form factor I could be a customer. I look forward to it if it is real.

That said, as we know, Steve was against such a form factor. If Apple are now 'following the market' and trying to compete with, say, the Kindle Fire then it is a sea change at Apple.

Of course, there's another issue - cannibalisation... If people actively like the smaller iPad en masse few will bother buying the more expensive 10" version. Maybe people complain the iPad is poor for reading because if you hold it like a book it soon gets heavy.

Last edited:

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Making it smaller or more affordable doesn't make me buy it. I may get an iPad when it actually can replace a laptop. But today it can't, not even close. Apple made sure of that.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Maybe this will come true one day, but sometimes it just seems like this is a filler story for the front page. How many times have we seen that image and a rumor for it?

efecanbasoz

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
Turkey
First we had laptops, then MacBook Air came and showed us the thin computer tech. iPhone made a great impact and then we said bye to laptops with iPad. It's obvious that all people want to be on-line with fully mobility as well as small and good design of hardware.

iPhone and iPad are two great things, and i had both of them. But i guess people in near future want them hybrid as one. Samsung Galaxy Note was a start for it. So they saw the opportunity there and creating Note 2 now. And all rumors shows that Apple will make new iPhone screen bigger. So it is possible to see iPad Mini; which is more mobile and more flexible while moving. I won't be surprised if we see in 2 years a hardware called iPhad or something; which is the hybrid of iPad and iPhone.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC

I'm sorry, but I just can't let this one go. The Mac mini is an outstanding Apple computer. I am on my second one now and absolutely love it. It basically gives me the performance and use of the other Macs but at half the cost. I can't imagine where you got the idea it is a pile of garbage. Do you have one? Not all of us are rich and can justify $1200+ for computers. Without my mini's I'd still be using Windows computers. Sheesh, I can't understand where people come up with the trash they post on these message boards.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Gee, if Apple could transfer the manufacturing of this iPad from China to Brazil, why could not Apple build this America?

Please help me understand.

Greed and profit, and it's not Apple it's Foxconn, and this is also a rumour and we have NO facts to back up claims of a 7" iPad.

Foxconn want to use a million robots to replace people and reduce costs even:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/01/us-foxconn-robots-idUSTRE77016B20110801

Bet Apple doesn't pass that saving on? But it's a shame for the Foxconn workers who they will replace.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Cover the range of practical screen sizes (avoid losing a substantial part of the market that would prefer that size)

Offer a less expensive option - desperately needed to win the education market in the end.

Remember when the iPad was first announced. Many saw it as simply a big iPod Touch and thought it would only have a limited market. Pundits were speculating that total sales would be very low. But it was a paradigm shift. It was a computer for the masses. My 86 year old MIL loves hers. They sold tens of millions.

Now look at the education market. $500 is too much to spend on a child or ask a parent to spring for. $250 isn't much more than we used to expect in terms of graphing calculators. They have smaller fingers, and are more comfortable working on small screens. This has to happen to capture the education market.

I will never get this "smaller fingers, smaller screens" bull ****. Not that your point is not valid, but how the hell is 3.5" just right, when 7" is too small for just about anything? Regardless of how we put it, 7" is substantially LARGER than 3.5". So if we can get along fine with 3.5", certainly 7" will work as a charm. Is it limiting? Certainly, just like 3.5" is limiting. But does it work? Undoubtedly. 10" to me is ****. Theres hardly a use case for it at all (once again, for me). 7" on the other hand? (preferably 16:9, which would work fine if Apple goes 16:9 on the iPhone 5, since they could use the same apps - 7" might be a wee bit small for 10" 4:3 layouts) I'd have it with me just about anywhere. A 10" iPad? Would never even leave the house.

----------

Greed and profit, and it's not Apple it's Foxconn, and this is also a rumour and we have NO facts to back up claims of a 7" iPad.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/01/us-foxconn-robots-idUSTRE77016B20110801

Bet Apple doesn't pass that saving on? But it's a shame for the Foxconn workers who they will replace.

If Foxconn cuts their costs by increased automation, and are able to gain a competitive advantage in so doing, it will not be up to Apple to "pass savings on". What are they going to do? Go next door and pay more, just because?

Not like Foxconn have much of a choice either. Wages are on a constant rise, and chinese based production isn't what it used to be. Companies in Europe are already starting to bring parts of their production back home.

----------

First we had laptops, then MacBook Air came and showed us the thin computer tech. iPhone made a great impact and then we said bye to laptops with iPad. It's obvious that all people want to be on-line with fully mobility as well as small and good design of hardware.

iPhone and iPad are two great things, and i had both of them. But i guess people in near future want them hybrid as one. Samsung Galaxy Note was a start for it. So they saw the opportunity there and creating Note 2 now. And all rumors shows that Apple will make new iPhone screen bigger. So it is possible to see iPad Mini; which is more mobile and more flexible while moving. I won't be surprised if we see in 2 years a hardware called iPhad or something; which is the hybrid of iPad and iPhone.

Just have to state the obvious: Despite Jobs lying about it, the MBA was never the thinnest computer out there. That said, its a great computer. Would've been even greater though if Apple didn't cut so many corners nowadays.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Gee, if Apple could transfer the manufacturing of this iPad from China to Brazil, why could not Apple build this America?

Please help me understand.

I can see you are not the researching type and you are kind of late with that question.

It has been discussed in the media and many other places.

Google the info: Why doesn't Apple produce in America?

Especially the Forbes article explains it all!

----------

I want to see a home button leaked immediately as a proof!

Aso, get ready for the million robot march to Washington when they get replaced with newer faster models.

grimoald

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
If Apple were able to compete on price with Amazon and Google in the 7" market then they would blow them away, but they can't. The stories over the last couple of days show how the Nexus 7 is being sold at cost, even allowing for Apple's integrated production and sales systems, that is insurmountable. At best they could get about $50 away with, but to release as good a product it would be more like $100.

I think the smartest move would be releasing a Note-type sized iTouch device to replace the iPod Touch, you still have a music player in the Nano, it would be a massive success with the handheld gaming market, it would be priced competitively enough capture a lot of the people looking at a 7" device while providing similar usability and it wouldn't adversely hit sales of the iPad for people who still want a full high-quality tablet experience.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I don't see how a 7" screen will be unusuable. I've always wanted an iPad but I wanted something that'll fit into my coat pocket like my Kobo eReader so I can carry it around all the time with me. The sooner Apple releases this, the sooner I can authorize Apple to charge my credit card.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Well for me, it comes down to cost. The iPad is a once in 3-4 years purchase while an iPad mini at $299 would be an every other year type purchase (like my iPhone). I've already decided that if Apple comes out with a mini at $299, I will be purchasing one for myself and one each for my grown son and daughter for Christmas. If Apple doesn't release a mini, I'll be getting Nexus 7's for everyone. It all comes down to whether Apple wants to attract new users in the lower price range group.

Barry Aldridge

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Apple Will Miss You

If Apple doesn't release a mini, I'll be getting Nexus 7's for everyone. It all comes down to whether Apple wants to attract new users in the lower price range group.
I'm sure Apple would rather get your business, but I don't think a $299 iPad Mini would make them enough profit per unit. They're leaving the low-end, low-profit tablet market to other companies.

iGiselle5

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
North America.
They better make it cheep. But I think the whole idea is stupid. The iPad is good the way it is. Leave the size alone. But either way I might contain Siri and which that is a good thing not TOO sure about that. I love apple but now they are trying to hard.

luciferuk

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Manchester, England
I'll show my bottom.

Agree!

This is probably just as likely at the moment as the hideous stretched iPhone 5 prototype that's been touted around. Most likely Apple causing misdirection as part of their new security plan...

Poor Mr Job's would turn in his grave if Apple let this particular one out the door. I don't care if Bloomberg ney Mr Cook himself jumped on the 'iPad mini' bandwagon.
It's JUST NOT APPLE. It's vague, it's steering WAY off the roadmap for mobile devices. No no no, dont hold your breath...

Could they? Sure!
Why wont they? Because it WONT be epic! It wont make a big enough splash.
Change screen technology? NO WAY
Confuse litigation with players already in a similar sized device arena? Hardly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.